Finally doing it! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After years of being an audiphile and backing up music, DVD and spending thousands on my equipment, I have decided I want to back up all my blu-rays, all 400 movies and nr t.v. sets.

I just bought a 3TB external WD to start with and now not sure what blu-ray burner I should get. Speed is imporatant but saving 3-4 minutes ripping is not worth $50 to me so I guess reliability is the most important.

Can someone point me to a good blu-ray burner/ripper?

On a side not, can BR's be stored as MKV, then watched directly from an external HD and skip the burning to disk step?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightwingjedi View Post

On a side not, can BR's be stored as MKV, then watched directly from an external HD and skip the burning to disk step?
Yes, of course. This is what most people do.

A full-quality bluray rip can be between 30 and 60gb IIRC. So a 3tb drive will store maybe 100 blurays, not quite the 400 you have in your collection!
post #3 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevBel View Post

Yes, of course. This is what most people do.
A full-quality bluray rip can be between 30 and 60gb IIRC. So a 3tb drive will store maybe 100 blurays, not quite the 400 you have in your collection!

Cool, thx

So will I be able to watch directly from my WD external?

How much can you compress a BR before you notice a difference?
post #4 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

How much can you compress a BR before you notice a difference?

This is a little subjective and you'll get plenty of different answers. Just to take a stab at the math, a 3TB drive will give you about 2.7 TB of actual usable space. Each movie would then need to be compressed down to about 0..00675 TB (or ~ 7 GB). As a comparison, an uncompressed DVD rip tends to take between 5 and 7 GB. So you'd essentially be compressing your BR collection to DVD size to get them all to fit. Whether or not you'd get better than DVD quality, or acceptable quality, is totally up to you. You might test one or two favorites before you get too deep in your collection.

I'd also advise backing up the collection to at least two hard drives. After you invest the time to rip and compress your collection you probably won't want to do it again when the hard drive fails.

Best of luck. I'm interested to see how far you decide to compress. Some of my buddies have compressed at 50% and said the quality is still "fine".

I'm confused too.

post #5 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

After years of being an audiphile and backing up music, DVD and spending thousands on my equipment, I have decided I want to back up all my blu-rays, all 400 movies and nr t.v. sets.
I just bought a 3TB external WD to start with and now not sure what blu-ray burner I should get. Speed is imporatant but saving 3-4 minutes ripping is not worth $50 to me so I guess reliability is the most important.
Can someone point me to a good blu-ray burner/ripper?

1. Do not compress your media... you will hate yourself later for doing so, especially since you have 'phile in your self-description
2. Invest in a network attached storage device that supports RAID as that will help in case your hard drive dies and support your expanding library of media as well as allow you to separate your spinning drives (noise, heat, etc) from your listening area
3. Almost any blu-ray reader will work for you. There is no reason to invest in a writer, you will never use it.
4. blu-rays can be stored in a variety of containers such as .mkv and .iso. It is easier to rebuild a disc if you use the .iso container and the .iso container will also allow you to keep your addtional files better.
5. Invest in an inexpensive media streamer such as one made by Popcorn Hour or Dune Player. These connect between your home network and your audio/video system, give you a user interface for navigation and selection and make things right for humanity.

Enjoy your new found passion!
post #6 of 6 Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

1. Do not compress your media... you will hate yourself later for doing so, especially since you have 'phile in your self-description
2. Invest in a network attached storage device that supports RAID as that will help in case your hard drive dies and support your expanding library of media as well as allow you to separate your spinning drives (noise, heat, etc) from your listening area
3. Almost any blu-ray reader will work for you. There is no reason to invest in a writer, you will never use it.
4. blu-rays can be stored in a variety of containers such as .mkv and .iso. It is easier to rebuild a disc if you use the .iso container and the .iso container will also allow you to keep your addtional files better.
5. Invest in an inexpensive media streamer such as one made by Popcorn Hour or Dune Player. These connect between your home network and your audio/video system, give you a user interface for navigation and selection and make things right for humanity.
Enjoy your new found passion!

Wow! So with a media streamer, it will be the go between for my external HD and the tv and it will read .iso files? So I guess a burner is a waste, I should just grab a basic cheap reader.

This is all news to me and I am grinning ear to ear!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Blu Ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page