Intel HD 4000 EDID Override for audio passthrough? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-19-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow! I was two seconds from giving up when I ran across a couple of threads on here about EDID overrides. I also found at least one instance of the new HD4000 chip allowing them, which is pretty exciting. I'm really hoping that one of you might be able to help me with an issue I'm having.

So here's my problem - I have an LG 42LD520 TV, and the EDID says that it only accepts 2 channels. In reality, it can pass through DTS and DD signals and does so all the time. Unfortunately, I'm not even given the option of trying it. My receiver is an Onkyo from the pre-HDMI days and replacing it isn't really an option.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get EDID manager to let me alter the lines that should hold the audio capability information - gives me the error "DI-EXT Extension Block translation is not supported at this time." I'm pretty sure I'm just not extracting it properly - I've been having a lot of trouble finding a program that can do it. Does anyone have a copy of this EDID so I could try to alter it, or does anyone have any suggestions? Would really love to be able to use my setup the way it was intended.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I kind of got a little bit farther in the process and properly loaded the EDID into EDID Manager. Now instead of that weird error, it simply says that Block 1 is blank... is that better, maybe? 376
post #3 of 7 Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM

Have you had any luck?

I have the exact same problem and have spent hours and hours on this issue!
I found this link
http://hardanswers.net/dell-e6500-displayport-hdmi-audio
but it only works for the old MHD4500 GFX.

Please someone help with this issue!
post #4 of 7 Old 02-14-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am having the same issue with HD4000 and a Vizio TV that supports HDMI audio passthrough. I replaced an i3-540 with an i7-3770S and have seem this problem resurface. Previously with the HD Graphics on the i3 I had the problem on initial setup but once I picked the surround sound settings in WMC it seemed to override the 2 channel and send DD 5.1 to the TV. Performing the same setting with the i7-3770S with HD4000 has no effect.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-14-2013, 01:03 PM

Thx for your reply.
So what you are saying is, that some software are able to override the 2-ch setting given from the EDID handshake between the TV and the PC?

I have attached a picture of the windows setting.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 05:34 PM

DESPERATELY looking for a way to do this. My cable box does this, my ps3 does this, both are connected the same way, and can output 5.1. My PC is the only one incapable of doing this. Please, does anyone have any ideas?
post #7 of 7 Old 10-28-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Did any of you resolve the problem of getting 5.1 DD passed through from the PC HDMI to the TV and then out the S/PDIF to your receiver?

I recently took another run at it and determined the following.

If I change the setting for 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device' in the 'Exclusive Mode' setting, then go back to WMC setup and change the speakers to 5.1 I get DD 5.1 passed from the PC->TV->Receiver. However this same change causes popping noises when starting or stopping fast forward actions for recorded TV.

So I can have either annoying loud popping noises and 5.1 DD, or PCM stereo and no popping noises.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page