Just wanted to say thanks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last year I cut my cable TV addiction and built my own HTPC. The link to the thread I started is here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350448/please-critique-my-proposed-htpc-build

I also picked up a couple K-World OTA tuners for my other two TVs and the whole setup is running great. I had never even considered building my own PC before but it ran beautifully right from the first boot-up.

There's no way in hell I would have ever been able to do this myself without the great advice from this forum.

I haven't been on the forum in a long time but have another question on a non-HTPC topic. So I just thought I'd take a few minutes to say thanks to everyone who has provided help herein. Beyond the cost savings, the satisfaction I get from not having to pay every month for cable TV is immeasurable. Plus, doing it myself was really fun.

So hats off to ya, folks!

Cheers,

km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How long did it take to get over not having some of your favorite cable programs?

I would like to go strictly OTA & ditch satellite. A few months ago I kept track of how many hours of OTA vs satellite I watched, and 80% was OTA. But there's that occasional Discovery, History, USA, Speed Channel, etc. program that I do enjoy. Some of that is on Hulu but not all, and Hulu is not HD. But I'm still considering going just OTA.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 01:17 PM

Liked: 16
I want SO bad to cut the cord, but my obsession with live sports is my own undoing.

I love MLB network, NFL network, NHL network, NBA network, and the mess of ESPNs and FSNs to ever cut it completely. It's a shame that 90% of the channels I get, I could care less about.

OWN, Oxygen, Lifetime, TruTV, TLC, E!, etc... garbage TV.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

How long did it take to get over not having some of your favorite cable programs?
I would like to go strictly OTA & ditch satellite. A few months ago I kept track of how many hours of OTA vs satellite I watched, and 80% was OTA. But there's that occasional Discovery, History, USA, Speed Channel, etc. program that I do enjoy. Some of that is on Hulu but not all, and Hulu is not HD. But I'm still considering going just OTA.

Well, as an HTPC user I'm able to take advantage of whatever content is available over the internet and watch it on my TV. So I'm not strictly OTA.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappjay View Post

I want SO bad to cut the cord, but my obsession with live sports is my own undoing.
I love MLB network, NFL network, NHL network, NBA network, and the mess of ESPNs and FSNs to ever cut it completely. It's a shame that 90% of the channels I get, I could care less about.
OWN, Oxygen, Lifetime, TruTV, TLC, E!, etc... garbage TV.

I hear that. I miss some sports but my toddler kids take up so much of my time I just don't have that much opportunity wo watch much sports these days.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page