PQ with Hauppauge Colossus - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using my Colossus for more than a year with great results.

But one issue (if it is an issue) is absolute picture quality. On programming streamed from my Directv HR24-500, I can always see a difference between the live picture (or even the recorded show) streamed from the DVR, as opposed to the m2ts, ts, or mp4 file saved from the Hauppauge. The difference is not glaring, but it is discernible.

The picture is slightly softer. The direct output from the hr24 is always sharper. It has always been that way. It was that way with the Hauppauge HD-PVR box, when I was using it.

And, to my reasonably discerning eye, increasing the capture bit rate has little effect on the quality of the final captured file, using either the Showbiz program that came with the card, or the updated version of the program. In fact, a file streamed at 20mbps causes Videoredo to choke when I try to edit the file.

The result is similar with my HD Homerun tuner with OTA programs. Just a little soft when looking at the capture.

Has anyone else noticed this?

mobilelawyer
at your service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 164
My HDHR Prime tunes crystal clear and playback of recorded content in WMC is crystal clear.

post #3 of 4 Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

My HDHR Prime tunes crystal clear and playback of recorded content in WMC is crystal clear.

The Prime doesn't work with DirecTV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelawyer View Post

I have been using my Colossus for more than a year with great results.
But one issue (if it is an issue) is absolute picture quality. On programming streamed from my Directv HR24-500, I can always see a difference between the live picture (or even the recorded show) streamed from the DVR, as opposed to the m2ts, ts, or mp4 file saved from the Hauppauge. The difference is not glaring, but it is discernible.
The picture is slightly softer. The direct output from the hr24 is always sharper. It has always been that way. It was that way with the Hauppauge HD-PVR box, when I was using it.
And, to my reasonably discerning eye, increasing the capture bit rate has little effect on the quality of the final captured file, using either the Showbiz program that came with the card, or the updated version of the program. In fact, a file streamed at 20mbps causes Videoredo to choke when I try to edit the file.
The result is similar with my HD Homerun tuner with OTA programs. Just a little soft when looking at the capture.
Has anyone else noticed this?

Well I have an HD PVR and an R5000 modded Dish box in SageTV, so I had stuff "randomly" recorded by both, and I never found any sort of trend as to which was superior, and the few direct comparisons I did, I never noticed a difference, even in my HT on my projector. What I have noticed is that while it's far from guaranteed, it's often the case that a PC's video playback, especially for interlaced content (and you're probably recording 1080i I'd guess) is softer than that from a hardware decoder. So it's possible it's not the Colossus, maybe it's the PC. Unfortunately without an R5000 or something else to grab a raw bitstream, there's no real way to know for sure.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4 of 4 Old 06-22-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
stanger89, I am guessing that your observations about the PC's video playback are apt. I will make a careful comparison of video between the PC and my media player as playback sources for the captured files.

I will say that the difference in sharpness was not as noticeable with my Panasonic 42 inch plasma as with my Samsung 59 inch purchased last year.

And my apologies to you all for not noticing that I was posting to the Home Theater forum as opposed to the Hauppauge Colossus forum.

I had to do a web search to find my post and the replies thereto.

mobilelawyer
at your service
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page