Odd Problem with Steam - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so I recently decided I would like to play a few games on my HT setup and went ahead and installed a few things from both Steam and GOG. Here is where it gets strange. I'm experiencing these weird pauses/hitches on the display and sometimes crashes on anything 3D from Steam. The audio is unaffected as it continues to play normally. I turned on monitoring through Afterburner and can clearly see what looks like throttling as fps drops to 0 and GPU utilization drops as well.

Here is where it gets stranger. I installed Alan Wake & Witcher 2 from GOG and there are absolutely no problems with either. No throttling, constant utilization. Has anyone else seen anything like this and hopefully knows of a fix?

A little background on my system:

-Corsair 650W HX power supply
-Geforce 560 Ti 1024MB RAM (tried 3 different driver revisions: 295.73, 301.24. 304.48)
-Intel i5-2500 (turbo enabled)
-Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard
-Mushkin 8 GB DDR3 1600
-Win 7 x64

After a lot of screwing around in Windows and in the BIOS including disabling Speedstep, moving my Steam install to 3 different drives (one of them my OS SSD which still presented the same problem) I decided to do a full format and fresh install but the issue persists.

I'm running HDMI audio/video to my Yamaha RX-V667 receiver which passes video to my Sony HW15. Movies, TV, games outside of Steam, EVERYTHING else plays back without issue. I've scoured the Steam message boards but so far have come up with nothing so I'm hoping the more home theater minded folks here might have a solution.

EDIT: I should also add that the GPU temp is never going above 60 C so it shouldn't be throttling due to heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by convexion View Post

Okay, so I recently decided I would like to play a few games on my HT setup and went ahead and installed a few things from both Steam and GOG. Here is where it gets strange. I'm experiencing these weird pauses on the display and sometimes crashes on anything 3D from Steam. The audio is unaffected as it continues to play normally. I turned on monitoring through Afterburner and can clearly see what looks like throttling as fps drops to 0 and GPU utilization drops as well.
Here is where it gets stranger. I installed Alan Wake from GOG and there are absolutely no problems with it. No throttling, constant utilization. Has anyone else seen anything like this and hopefully knows of a fix?
A little background on my system:
-Corsair 650W HX power supply
-Geforce 560 Ti 1024MB RAM (tried 3 different driver revisions: 295.73, 301.24. 304.48)
-Intel i5-2500 (turbo enabled)
-Asus P8Z68-V LX motherboard
-Mushkin 8 GB DDR3 1600
-Win 7 x64
After a lot of screwing around in Windows and in the BIOS including disabling Speedstep, moving my Steam install to 3 different drives (one of them my OS SSD which still presented the same problem) I decided to do a full format and fresh install but the issue persists.
I'm running HDMI audio/video to my Yamaha RX-V687 receiver which passes video to my Sony HW15. Movies, TV, games outside of Steam, EVERYTHING else plays back without issue. I've scoured the Steam message boards but so far have come up with nothing so I'm hoping the more home theater minded folks here might have a solution.

People use my guides for all sorts of things...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31300123&postcount=6
post #3 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for posting but I'm not quite sure what you mean. You think this is a codec issue even though it seems to solely happen with Steam games?
post #4 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by convexion View Post

Thanks for posting but I'm not quite sure what you mean. You think this is a codec issue even though it seems to solely happen with Steam games?

Honestly I have no idea as I don't game. I just found that at a Steam forum and it fixed the issue that those users were having. Worth a try.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

I went ahead and gave it a shot but no dice. This is happening both in cinematics and in game sequences so probably not a codec issue but I'm willing to try anything at this point. smile.gif
post #6 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I've posted some more info on Steam and hopefully someone will have some idea of what's going on because I'm plain confused at this point. Here's the post for anyone that wants to take a look:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2767721
post #7 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Wow you've been thorough.
How about pull the Geforce and run on the Intel for some testing? It will run really slowly but will give you another data point.
Have you contacted official steam support or just posted on the forum?
post #8 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I contacted Steam support but haven't heard anything back yet. Not a bad idea to try onboard, I'll see what happens. Nothing left to lose at this point. smile.gif
/.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, problem is still present when using onboard video even after setting everything to low in game. I'm starting to wonder if I may have a conflicting device somewhere. Suppose I'll start ripping out USB cables one by one to start with.

EDIT: Pulling out all the external connections did nothing. This is really too strange.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
When you say "games outside of Steam", do you mean old school games like on GOG? Or something new like Witcher 2?

I'd start looking at a potential hardware issue. Maybe more demanding 3D games are 'breaking' the hardware. Possibly the RAM, power supply, CPU, or mobo. But I don't know. You can rule out RAM by running memtest.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

No, Witcher 2 and Alan Wake from GOG both run without issue. It seems to be Steam specific.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Oh. It definitely sounds like something with Steam is not making nice with your setup. What's weird is that your setup seems routine.

It might be a dependency Steam is using, like a x264 decoder or Flash.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Could be, it's just odd that this is continuing even on a fresh install with no other modifications/installations made to the system other than a steam install and afterburner which I've tried disabling and has no affect on the problem.. And I've tried disabling the steam overlay, disabling sound, nothing works.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-26-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well I think I've tried just about everything. Even down to reseating RAM, Reconfiguring my network just in case there was a foul connection which there wasn't, checking for hard drive errors (on all three drives) and I'm pretty much at the end of my rope here. As a former computer tech this has been interesting, not often able to find a problem without some kind of solution. I'm thinking this must be software related but for the hell of it I went ahead and purchased a 7850 with 2GB of VRAM just to see if maybe this is a lack of memory issue, though I doubt it completely since most of the games I've tested on Steam barely used 500 MB of VRAM. Could also be an HDMI audio issue I suppose, just strange that games outside of Steam would work without a hitch. I think I may have gone a little mad through this troubleshooting process... biggrin.gif

In any case, I'll report back if I ever find or am presented with a solution to this issue. I've made an attempt to record some videos using Afterburner and I'll see about getting those posted on Youtube a little later to give an idea of what I'm seeing, just have to fine tune the encoding a bit as the file size is a bit large.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Success, found the problem. I have a Thermaltake DH101 case and the power connector joins with the main ATX connector to power the IMON faceplate. Disconnected that and everything works. I'm guessing there is some sort of incompatibility between Steam and the Imon hardware as I didn't have the software installed for it and even after installing the software the problem persisted. At least it's fixed, just wish I hadn't gone through so many other steps to get here... eek.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers