AVS Forum banner

Need help to buy a new GFX

446 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  convexion 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I just bought two new bookshelfs speakers to complete my 5.1 , I would like to know wich graphic cards at this time do you recommand for my HTPC,

I have currently an Radeon HD4850 right now but the 4000 series do not offer DTS-HD MASTER and TRUE-HD

My main goal is to be able to have it, I do not play some hard cpu computer games so, just need a good value card, not too expensive.

( I'm from Quebec, Canada, if you know good deals il appreciate )

Thanks

Julien

Edit : Forgot to ask, I'm in construction for my new house, I want to put my computer in the basement, so Il pass a HDMI cable in the wall gfx to my reveiver at first floor with my tv. My question is, if I want to have a good wireless keyboard/mouse, to be able on the first floor of my house to control the pc into basement. What do you recommand me ? The distance is maybe 15 feet max but the signal need to pass the ''floor'' of my basement to first floor ( Sry for my english ) Thanks !

See less See more
#2 ·

Any HD 5xxx/6xxx/7xxx supports it. Personally I recommend HIS H775F1GD or H775P1GD. If they are too expensive, HIS H667FS1G, HIS H657H1G ...

Reactions: juLz
#3 ·
When I was looking around someone here suggested the hd6570. It seems to work fine for me, I think one level below is also fine but the price is about the same. The only games I play are nes, snes, N64 emulators and the card handles that stuff fine. DTS and DD HD works. I think you can find the cards for around 60-ish.

In retrospect, I do regret not going with NVIDIA though. Mostly cause the developers of xbmc seem to prefer it so less likely to have any issues if you use xbmc....though I have had no issues with the ati card. Also the guys who developed the ps2 emulator use nvidia cards so the program is probably more efficient and faster with nvidia than ati.

Reactions: juLz
#5 ·
Oh ok thanks assasin, gives me good idea,

First, just want to be sure, with this card, I dont need other ''sound card'' right ? The HDMI port works for Video/Audio

I dont know alot of XMBC/JRiver , I know about ''LogMeIn'' tho , is it the same ?

Could it works with my setup ? Maybe im a ''oldschool'' htpc user, using the simple

gfx hdmi to receiver, then hdmi to tv with mpclassic and madvr,

Tell me if I'm wrong ,so with a tablet I can connect in my lan to my htpc computer, then decide wich thing I want to look ( Like youtube, movies, mp3, etc )

Thanks !

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by juLz  /t/1417628/need-help-to-buy-a-new-gfx#post_22169949

Oh ok thanks assasin, gives me good idea,

First, just want to be sure, with this card, I dont need other ''sound card'' right ? The HDMI port works for Video/Audio

I dont know alot of XMBC/JRiver , I know about ''LogMeIn'' tho , is it the same ?

Could it works with my setup ? Maybe im a ''oldschool'' htpc user, using the simple

gfx hdmi to receiver, then hdmi to tv with mpclassic and madvr,

Tell me if I'm wrong ,so with a tablet I can connect in my lan to my htpc computer, then decide wich thing I want to look ( Like youtube, movies, mp3, etc )

Thanks !

Correct. You don't need a sound card.

The tablet will let you control movies, mp3, etc. XBMC has a YouTube plugin but it won't be as fluid as using it on a latop or desktop with the tablet.

#8 ·
#10 ·
As far as the GPU goes, it really depends on what you want. I like Nvidia for MadVR/LAV usage and have a 560 ti that works very well for video. Though I mostly purchased it to be able to push MadVR as hard as I could ever want to games run great as well, though I've had problems with Steam games which are probably relegated to my setup in some way so I wouldn't dissuade you from giving it a shot. You may have seen the huge post.

As far as the issue with wireless keyboards/mice, I like to buy USB extension cables that are right around the 15 ft. range and wire them through my room so that the receivers are somewhere close to where I'll be sitting but out of sight. This method has worked well for me over the years always providing a good signal.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by juLz  /t/1417628/need-help-to-buy-a-new-gfx#post_22170065

Seems good to me ! Il probly start to look for a Android tablet soon, I found the gfx at a decent prize : http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD5140&vpn=ENGT430/DI/1GD3/MG%28LP%29&manufacture=ASUS

You mentioned madVR. Then the card is not good. Memory Speed: 1200 MHz is too slow. 1600MHz is recommended. Don't go cheap on video memory.

There are several traps in choosing a graphics card, e.g. madVR with 1080p60 (a camcorder format), 3D with HDMI 1.3 AVR, 88.1kHz/176.4kHz for studio master music etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.