AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanM View Post

@M
You are behind here. He's already purchased the SSD...

I just realized that. lol.

After replied I noticed this.

I typed out a nice response. the thread appeared to be new to me...

Odd.

What drive did he get?

Did he finalize the other parts too ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

What do the Signal Strength, Signal Quality (SNR), and Network look like? There should be a tool that came with the HDHomeRun drivers that shows you that.
Also, just for a quick test to eliminate the HDD as the possible issue, can you temporarily set the recording storage to the SSD and check if you still get stutters?

The signal strengths are all high. I even picked out the strongest channels to do the test. I have not idea how to check the SNR.

I will schedule a short program to record onto the SSD to see what happens. I am doing more testing today also.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #33 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried two more test recordings today onto my third hard drive. They stuttered also. I then recorded a 30 minute show on my new SSD and it stuttered.

I checked the task manager and my CPU usage jumps back and forth to 100%. This is with no applications running, but there are a ton of process running that I cannot figure out what they are. Could this be my problem?

Any ideas?

At the beginning of this thread I figured I was due for total rebuild, but was convinced to just install a new SSD instead. This apparently is not working.

post #34 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

I tried two more test recordings today onto my third hard drive. They stuttered also. I then recorded a 30 minute show on my new SSD and it stuttered.
I checked the task manager and my CPU usage jumps back and forth to 100%. This is with no applications running, but there are a ton of process running that I cannot figure out what they are. Could this be my problem?
Any ideas?
At the beginning of this thread I figured I was due for total rebuild, but was convinced to just install a new SSD instead. This apparently is not working.

100% CPU usage seems unusual. This is with a fresh Windows 7 install on the SSD? Do you have an idea what processes are eating up all those CPU cycles? Simple recording shouldn't be that CPU intensive. I used to have an ION/Atom 330 machine as my HTPC and had no issues with using that as DVR. That's way, way, way less processing power compared to your E6750. In any case, the SSD will be useable if you do a complete rebuild. An upside to going Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge, should generate a lot less heat than the E6750.

Edit:
SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) is basically the signal quality, I think. I forgot how the HDHomeRun software labeled all those stuff.
post #35 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post

100% CPU usage seems unusual. This is with a fresh Windows 7 install on the SSD? Do you have an idea what processes are eating up all those CPU cycles? Simple recording shouldn't be that CPU intensive. I used to have an ION/Atom 330 machine as my HTPC and had no issues with using that as DVR. That's way, way, way less processing power compared to your E6750. In any case, the SSD will be useable if you do a complete rebuild. An upside to going Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge, should generate a lot less heat than the E6750.
Edit:
SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) is basically the signal quality, I think. I forgot how the HDHomeRun software labeled all those stuff.

This is not with a fresh Windows 7 install. I cloned it using Acronis. Everything use to work great until about a month ago. I have a PSU battery backup so a power surge should not have been an issue.

post #36 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So you have no stuttering issues when viewing live tv?

Have you updated the motherboard drivers any time recently? Worth a shot, especially the sata driver.
post #37 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It it just an issue with you HD Homerun recording OTA? If you haven't, try playing back a 1080i sample video. You'll have to download one I think. Windows 7 includes a 720p video called wildlife.wmv which you can try. If other video recordings play fine then you can at least narrow it down to the HD Homerun hardware / driver / TV antenna or your network.
post #38 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

So you have no stuttering issues when viewing live tv?
Have you updated the motherboard drivers any time recently? Worth a shot, especially the sata driver.

Live TV does not stutter.

I have not done any motherboard driver updates.

post #39 of 57 Old 07-16-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorath View Post

It it just an issue with you HD Homerun recording OTA? If you haven't, try playing back a 1080i sample video. You'll have to download one I think. Windows 7 includes a 720p video called wildlife.wmv which you can try. If other video recordings play fine then you can at least narrow it down to the HD Homerun hardware / driver / TV antenna or your network.

I tried a DVD that was saved to one of my old HD using Media Browser/WMC and it played fine.

post #40 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update:

I am guessing my issue must be due to the HD Homerun. Just to be safe I updated my video card driver last night, but it did not change anything in my test recording. I will update the HDHR software/firmware tonight.

What I can't figure out is why it started messing up to begin with.

post #41 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I took a quick look at the thread; didn't notice any mention of SATA-AHCI. This past weekend I installed an SSD in a HP-desktop (Pavilion), fresh W7 (SP1) ISO and reused the OEM key. I thought life was good when the system booted and started to come up. My life passed in front of me when the system crashed ten seconds into initalization; the wife would have my head on a platter if I killed this HTPC.
This was my second SSD install; I remembered mention of AHCI settings for SSD's, my first install AHCI was already set.
This MB was configured RAID; I assumed this would automactaily envoke AHCI. I was supprised when after enabling AHCI in the BIOS, the system came up fine with no problems; man was I lucky. I didn't weed through this thread, so please forgive me if this has already been hashed.

Good luck. biggrin.gif
post #42 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Do a clean install of Windows. That would be the quickest way to tell if the problems you're having is related to software or hardware.
post #43 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:

The last time I did a complete rebuild (2nd) was back in 2007. I have added memory, replaced the hard drive and upgraded to Windows 7 to it 2 years ago. I figured it is about time to do a complete rebuild this time, but I have a few questions as to what I can still use. Below is what I have and questions about particular parts. What I do most of all is record OTA using my Homerun box. In my current setup I am getting more and more hangups and video that stutters. I was saving my recordings to the WDC (internal) drive, but switched over to the external Seagate one which had more space. The PC seems to stutter more using it, so I switched back. I have this HTPC connected to my HD-3D Sony projector. I do not plan on doing bluray with it-I have 3 standalone models already.
1) Intel ATX P35 Motherboard - this will be replaced with something that will support either a Sandy Bridge or Ivy processor. I will need the motherboard to have a HDMI. I also was thinking that I would not need an additional video card. It also will need to have toslink out to connect to my audio video receiver. Any suggestions?
2) Intel Core 2 Duo - E6750 @2.77 GHz - will upgrade to either a Sandy Bridge or Ivy Processor and will want it to be faster than my current processor. Will the Ivy version be that much better than Sandy Bridge for what I want to do?
3) PSU is a HX520W Corsair - was thinking this may still work with the new build. Will it work with a new build?
4) Hard drives - WDC-WD500AALS - was thinking this would be my secondary drive and get a SSD for the startup. I also have a Seagate Free Agent Pro - 750 GB (this has movies and music on it now). Will I still be able to use these hard drives?
5) I have 4 GB of memory and will get new memory to match the new motherboard/CPU.
6) I currently have Windows 7 - can this be transferred to the new system or will I need to purchase a new one?
Any responses is appreciated?

Begs the question - what changed to cause the stutters?

Most likely answer - the hard drive filled up. Hard drives get slower as they become more full. The outer tracks get allocated first and they have a faster linear speed because of their larger radius. The inner tracks get allocated last, and they have a lower linear speed because of the small radius of the tracks.

If it wasn't Win7 I'd suggest a defrag, but allegedly Win7 takes care of that. I can't say how well.

I suspect that simply adding an additional hard drive, SSD or otherwise would help.

A clean install might cut the complexity of the software load deepending on how gadget-prone you are.
post #44 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Begs the question - what changed to cause the stutters?

Most likely answer - the hard drive filled up. Hard drives get slower as they become more full. The outer tracks get allocated first and they have a faster linear speed because of their larger radius. The inner tracks get allocated last, and they have a lower linear speed because of the small radius of the tracks.

If it wasn't Win7 I'd suggest a defrag, but allegedly Win7 takes care of that. I can't say how well.

I suspect that simply adding an additional hard drive, SSD or otherwise would help.

OP already reformatted HDD and converted to 64K sectors which should greatly alleviate the fragmentation issue. It's not like recording requires a lot of bandwidth (at least compared to what HDDs are capable of). OP already bought an SSD and even tried recording to the SSD but still got stutters which leads me to think the problem is elsewhere. Since it didn't used to happen before, I'm guessing some new software or update was installed which causes this issue. A clean install would be the easiest way to troubleshoot.
post #45 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is not with a fresh Windows 7 install. I cloned it using Acronis. Everything use to work great until about a month ago. I have a PSU battery backup so a power surge should not have been an issue.

CLONE = bad news.

Generally never worth it IMO.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #46 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 11:16 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

CLONE = bad news.
Generally never worth it IMO.
According to the OP, the problem existed before he moved to SSD... I'd bet this is some sort of driver/codec issue.
post #47 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

According to the OP, the problem existed before he moved to SSD... I'd bet this is some sort of driver/codec issue.

Right. And why cloning or moving an OS install is never a good idea.

Clean install always works better. I like to do the work then save a restore to it so I can revert back to a clean install fresh state set up how I want if I do something odd or experience a problem like the OP is having.

It's way easier and better than uninstalling or troubleshooting.

In fact- Uninstalling is for noobs. restoring to a previous state is always better. I can tell the difference between a fresh clean registry and a fresh install and an old installation with many installs and uninstalls on it.

Performance wise it's no contest. Clean install all the way.

Some are too lazy or have some odd fear of re-installing all their programs but that is very sad. It's actually easy and about the same effort as moving an OS from one drive to another.

The time you take is worth it IMO.

Moving an OS often leads to frustration I find- and I regret the effort I spent on it and end up just clean installing anyhow after wasted time.

the performance penalty for moving an OS is unacceptable to me.

You can't convince me that any less than 99% of the people that do it experience a performance penalty and slower PC than if they clean installed.

if they don't realize or know any better that the PC is slower it's all good to the ignorant.

It drives me nuts because I use all SSD based fresh installs and I know instantly when something is not 100%

Patience is the key. If your impatient the effort to get a clean install working fast and fresh is worth it.

if you don't care how fast your PC is - and you can save a tad bit of effort by moving your OS instead of clean installing- go for it.

Each their own.

For me it's 100% clean install everytime. Moving an OS is not even a consideration. Perhaps a backup restore or something- but cloning to a different brand/model drive no way.

Fresh installing is just how I roll..

-

post #48 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It appears the consensus is to do a new install. I will start gathering up all of my hardware disks and do it this weekend. Will I need to unplug my two HD's prior to doing this to keep my DVD's from disappearing.

post #49 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:

It appears the consensus is to do a new install. I will start gathering up all of my hardware disks and do it this weekend. Will I need to unplug my two HD's prior to doing this to keep my DVD's from disappearing.
It is never a bad idea to unplug your HDDs if you know nothing need touch them right away. If anything, it keeps you from making a mistake.

'hardware disks' ????
post #50 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is never a bad idea to unplug your HDDs if you know nothing need touch them right away. If anything, it keeps you from making a mistake.
'hardware disks' ????

Solid advice when clean installing an OS to preserve data loss.

Unplug the sata or power cable and no worries.

Once your install is up and running plug them back in and bring them online as a data drive.

No data loss. No worries. No accidents or mistakes.

Otherwise you could format or wipe clean a drive if your not paying attention when installing your OS.

-

post #51 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

...Otherwise you could format or wipe clean a drive if your not paying attention when installing your OS...
Yes, I did that and the rest of the family wasn't too happy.
post #52 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

Yes, I did that and the rest of the family wasn't too happy.

It's a once only mistake at least.

Probably never do it again.

I did it once too. smile.gif

That is why the advice to just unplug every HDD from the motherboard except the SSD you want to install your OS on was very solid advice.

I do that 100% of the time.

-

post #53 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

'hardware disks' ????

I have no idea why I typed that.

post #54 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

Any ideas?

Sounds like you have MCEbuddy service or similar running and converting the show you're trying to watch

encoding will use all available cpu

Based on your hard drive sizes, I'm guessing your converting these shows from .wtv

This is the only time I've ever experienced stutter. I thought, "What the heck" then I realized I was trying to watch a new recording after 2:00 am, so it was in the process of converting
post #55 of 57 Old 07-17-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I have no idea why I typed that.
I was thinking maybe you planned to use the driver discs that came with your hardware. Just wanted to point out that is generally a bad idea, as drivers on shipped discs are almost certainly really old. Better to download the latest from mfr. website.
post #56 of 57 Old 07-18-2012, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One more question (I hope). When I upgraded from XP to Win7 I had to do the "Custom" route from my Win7 disks. Do I do the "Custom" route again during this reinstall.

post #57 of 57 Old 07-18-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I upgraded from XP to Win7 I had to do the "Custom" route from my Win7 disks. Do I do the "Custom" route again during this reinstall.

Yup, least as far as I remember.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page