Flexraid Help / opinions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-26-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am looking at consolidating my whs 2011 and unraid servers into 1 box and was hoping that some of you flex raid users could chime in and make sure that I am on the right track.

Currently I have an unraid server with 9 drives in a norco 4020. it works okay but if it hasn't been accessed it locks up after a few days and I hate having two servers running if I don't need them. I am considering moving my whs 2011 to the norco case and transitioning my unraid data to WHS. I want to double check that the my movies plugin for whs can monitor and rip to the shares protected by flexraid.

Am I correct in assuming that since my media is almost entirely blu ray rips that a snapshot flex raid is the way to go?

Once consolidated the server will have 12 drives, how long should a parity calculation take? How often are people running parity checks for snapshot raids, nightly? Weekly?

Thanks for everyones thoughts.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Sounds like FlexRaid is a great solution for you.

I have been running it for about 3 months and rarely touch it as it works very well.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Sounds like FlexRaid is a great solution for you.
I have been running it for about 3 months and rarely touch it as it works very well.

have your tested for a disk failure? I am a little leary with how new flexraid is but it seems to fit the bill. Can you comment on parity checks on frequency?
post #4 of 5 Old 06-26-2012, 09:39 PM

Liked: 10
I don't think you can go wrong with Flexraid. I've been using it for some time now and was impressed enough to purchase it when they first started selling it. If anything I've been more impressed since then as they seem to have been able to refine their engine which now runs at a fraction of the time it initially ran for me a year ago (36 hours vs. 15 hours on a 14 drive server). If your server is entirely media/backup centric I'd say you can't go wrong. I think they still post a two week trial so it's worth giving a shot in a sandbox environment if you want to see how it works.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-29-2012, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to get my transfer over together and am wondering, does flexraid use drive letter as its reference for where data is or sata port? I am thinking of taking out my optical drives to speed up the transfer process but need to know if I can switch ports around once everything is copied over.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page