Problem only playing one MKV but not another - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-26-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Did a search, but couldn't find anything exactly. My HTPC seems to be having an issue playing an MKV file I have, but I can't isolate the reason. I compared it to another MKV of similar size and the formats seem nearly identical. I used VLC to get the code info:

This one plays fine:
gnomeo.jpg

This one does not:
beautyqq.jpg

The second one the video stutters a bit and the audio stutters to the extent that it is unrecognizable.

The second file is 8.9GB, while the first is 5.6GB, both are located on my home server. Right now, I only have a 100mb connection between the server and the HTPC. I figured that should still be enough I do play ripped blu-rays), but just to check, I copied the file directly onto my HTPC's hard drive. Same problem, so its not the network or the hard drive on the server.

The only difference I see in the codecs is that the one that plays fine is 1920 x1036 and the one that doesn't is 1920 by 1080.

Anything else I should be looking at to figure this out?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There are different level of encoding for H.264 files.the higher level are more difficult to decode. Sometimes the files you find out there are encoded at an unnecessarily high level. It doesn't make them look any better. iI just makes it harder to decode. You don't say what your system is, or what your using to play it back so I can't give you more specific advice. I'll say this, download MediaInfo. It'll give you more information. Look after the frame rate under the first video stream. It'l tell you what level it was encoded at. The other thing to try is to repack the MKV with MKVMerge. Some times the MKV is just messed up. If you rebuild it, it will then play properly.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks for the reply. I did forget to put my system info up!

Intel E5200 2.6Ghz Wolfdale
Corsair 4GB DDR2-800
Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
160 GB Seagate 2.5" SATA II Drive
Athena AP-MTFX30 300W TFX12V Power Supply
MSI N520GT 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0x16
LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Drive
Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
Shak007 codec pack

I use Media Browser as well. I play everything that is non-Blue-Ray/HD-DVD through the regular 7MC video player.

I'll download MediaInfo and see what I can figure out.

I actually ran the file through handbrake and what came out the other end looks exactly the same and plays fine, but I'm curious as to why the original didn't work.

Thanks again!