Advice on htpc and ceton vs hdhomerun prime setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 06-27-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to build an HTPC So that I can record my TV shows that I watch. I am torn between the ceton infiniti4 or the hdhomerun prime.I am also debating whether not I should wait for the ceton Q. I really would like to be able to convert all of the videos into mp4 format even copy right protected or I guess what they call flagged videos But I haven't found any way to do that yet from what I've read on the Internet. Is there any possible way to do this? Recommendations on either the ceton or the hdhomerun prime would be great. I have Comcast as my cable provider. Do you need to pay for the cable card per month does anyone know?

I have two TVs that I would like to be able to share videos with as well as with my computers. I usually watch everything on my iMac occasionally I watch videos on my plasma TV. Which way is best to do what I described?

I am probably going to build an i5 or i7 HTPC for some light gaming board games like star craft 2 as well as other real-time strategy games. also for ripping my Blu-ray DVDs.

Anyone have any good recommendations for cases, motherboard, And Blu-ray drive for ripping for my HTPC? By now I'm leaning towards a LIAN-LI case but the rest is up t in the air.

Any and all help would be Greatly appreciated

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 164
I think if you seach this forum you will find answers to all your questions. Start with renethx' and assassin's sticky threads and the dedicated Ceton and HDHomerun Prime threads.

post #3 of 19 Old 06-27-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
At this point in time, there is no software that can convert copy protected recordings to another format (or remove the copy protection). This is true regardless of which product you use.
Regarding which product, I would say the Ceton InfiniTV, but I'm a bit biased smile.gif

Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation
post #4 of 19 Old 06-27-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Ya think?

post #5 of 19 Old 06-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I use the HDHR Prime with 7MC and it just works. the picture is as close to perfect as you can get and the SS is perfect (for what they deliver). I do not have any experience with the Ceton hardware, but I have been useing hte Prime since it's been out and the HDHR for QAM and SageTv for years. Bothe the HDHR and Prime work great.

But I guess the real question is what are you going to use for the front end? You mentioned the Q, so if you want more then just recored tv, you'll have to ge tinline with the rest of us to see the Echo.

Good luck with your dicision. it's the topic of many debates rolleyes.gif

post #6 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

i'm checking out that guide. thanks! it looks a little older of a guide or is it just he was designing a lower end box with an i3. i am still thinking at least an i5. it gives me somewhere to start.
whats the difference between myth tv and windows 7 media center?
i am still researching the whole tv tuner situation. will i be able to use the homerun prime with the ceton q when it comes out? question... what else cane you use for the front end which i guess is something like the ceton q?
post #7 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 190
In order to see all the channels (including those marked as copy-once/copy-protected), your only choice is WMC. All other software only allows you to watch copy-freely shows/channels.

For recording and watching TVs only, i3 is more than powerful enough.

As for Ceton or HomeRun Prime, it depends on your preferences.

Pros for Ceton: tuners can be packed inside the PC. 4 tuners per card. Your home networking and PC NIC card has no impact on the tuner function.
Pros for HomeRun Prime: Tuners and TA (which is 10 times larger than the tuner) can be located in a closet out of sight as long as you have a network connection out of it. Can be easily shared by multiple PCs.

Cons for Ceton: In order to share the tuner on the network, the host PC must be on. You must have coax outlet near your PC and the TA must be plugged into your PC.
Cons for HomeRun Prime: Can be problematic if your home network and PC's NIC is not up to task. Only 3 tuners. Firewalls and routers can impact on the function of the tuners.

To share recordings between TVs, your best bet is WMC extenders (like XBox 360s) which allows you to share everything, including those copy-protected recordings. With PCs, you can only share copy-freely recordings. Copy-protected shows can only be played back from recording PC.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

There's several recent posts re: i3 and A6. Both are good solutions if you don't need to process video much or are gaming. You may need a $60 video card for some LiveTV and mkv content as the integrated GPU's don't handle some content well.

The q is like a TiVo from what I understand.

The echo OTOH will work with another Windows PC because it is an extender from what I understand.

The Prime has 3 tuners and will attach to your network to allow tuner sharing to other Win7 PC's.

The InfinTV4 has 4 tuners and is a pci or usb solution that uses software to share over your network but the PC it is in needs to be on to share it.

Keep reading on here. Most of your answers are in very recent posts.

post #9 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly611 View Post

i'm checking out that guide. thanks! it looks a little older of a guide or is it just he was designing a lower end box with an i3. i am still thinking at least an i5. it gives me somewhere to start.
whats the difference between myth tv and windows 7 media center?
i am still researching the whole tv tuner situation. will i be able to use the homerun prime with the ceton q when it comes out? question... what else cane you use for the front end which i guess is something like the ceton q?

The guide is up to date.

There is really no reason for an i5 for most non-gaming HTPCs. Even for gaming I am not sure what benefit an i5 really gives you as the discrete graphics card is the most important and the i3 is a beast in its own right.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The i3 is a beast but if SD interlaced or 720p content is to be played back the A6-3500 may be the value processor of choice. For light gaming the i3 with a GT 430 video card would probably make an ideal solution.

post #11 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

The i3 is a beast but if SD interlaced or 720p content is to be played back the A6-3500 may be the value processor of choice. For light gaming the i3 with a GT 430 video card would probably make an ideal solution.

i3 2100 plays my 1080i and 720p content without any issues. Check my i3 testing thread for some screenshots. Its easy to add a card if you aren't happy with the performance --- especially if you want to game on the machine.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I guess I miss-interpreted one of rene's posts.. This is specifically about MadVR but he has subsequently found a less CPU/GPU-intensive setting for MadVR too. It might be the file(s) that I am playing too.

Stay tuned I guess. It is really great to have him back with us at avs.

post #13 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

sorry about that assassin. i must have been skimming to fast. smile.gif you have alot of great material to read but i tend to speed read.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

im not to worried too much about cost but yet dont want to waste money. i found an i5 for $160 and i can go up to $200 maybe. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Intel%AE+-+Core%22+i5-650+3.2GHz+Processor/9715158.p?id=1218156772637&skuId=9715158 i would like a little wiggle room for gaming requirements.
i am getting or looking for a case like this one..http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112365#top
I had a lian li case and they are great! i had one with a fish tank with fake fish on the side.
i do have a question maybe someone could answer... with that case it says it takes a mini itx motherboard. is that the same as a micro atx? the case also says it will take a vga graphics card that is 340mm i length. i am eying up this card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121441 it is 167mm so i am assuming it will fit. right? the only other question is the case has 2 expansion slots that look like it could be used for a graphics card and then my tv tuner if i get the ceton infinitv 4, why can't i find a mini itx motherboard with a pci spot for a graphics card spot for expansion for the ceton?
all i'm looking for is something good for tv tuner/bluray ripping/light gaming machine that will be good with that lian li case. ideas? the other idea was upgrade my game machine for games and ripping and have a nice small htpc separate.
thanks again in advance.
post #15 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly611 View Post

im not to worried too much about cost but yet dont want to waste money. i found an i5 for $160 and i can go up to $200 maybe. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Intel%AE+-+Core%22+i5-650+3.2GHz+Processor/9715158.p?id=1218156772637&skuId=9715158 i would like a little wiggle room for gaming requirements.
i am getting or looking for a case like this one..http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112365#top
I had a lian li case and they are great! i had one with a fish tank with fake fish on the side.
i do have a question maybe someone could answer... with that case it says it takes a mini itx motherboard. is that the same as a micro atx? the case also says it will take a vga graphics card that is 340mm i length. i am eying up this card. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121441 it is 167mm so i am assuming it will fit. right? the only other question is the case has 2 expansion slots that look like it could be used for a graphics card and then my tv tuner if i get the ceton infinitv 4, why can't i find a mini itx motherboard with a pci spot for a graphics card spot for expansion for the ceton?
all i'm looking for is something good for tv tuner/bluray ripping/light gaming machine that will be good with that lian li case. ideas? the other idea was upgrade my game machine for games and ripping and have a nice small htpc separate.
thanks again in advance.

That's a Clarkdale CPU.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

my bad. i'll keep looking for a sandybridge i guess.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-29-2012, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 118
What's wrong with a Clarkdale? I think they're a perfectly fine choice for an HTPC even though they're getting a bit dated. I've been using one for a couple of years now and it works great. I get decent HD video and HD audio without any extra peripherals and drivers to mess with. The only downside is trying to find socket 1156 motherboards. It seems like they've vanished off the face of the earth when I go looking for one.
post #18 of 19 Old 06-29-2012, 04:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

What's wrong with a Clarkdale? I think they're a perfectly fine choice for an HTPC even though they're getting a bit dated. I've been using one for a couple of years now and it works great. I get decent HD video and HD audio without any extra peripherals and drivers to mess with. The only downside is trying to find socket 1156 motherboards. It seems like they've vanished off the face of the earth when I go looking for one.

Absolutely nothing wrong with clarkdale if you are currently using one. I just wouldn't buy one brand new over a lga1155 cpu.

Btw i3 2100 is as strong as that i5 clarkdale for less money.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-29-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

ok cool. i can always upgrade to an i5 or i7 if i find i need the extra power.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page