post #31 of 33 Old 06-29-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Okay. I was reading more into it, as in, "people that invest in that must be nuts." Sorry..

And to be completely clear, I'm talking company wise. As in, if someone came to me and asked me to invest in a new software company they wanted to start to develop a new PVR system for HTPCs, I would tell them no. I just don't see something like that as something that can be profitable long term, not with the growth of online/streaming video and the significant improvements providers have been making to their DVRs. When I started in this Windows XP Media Center Edition got me really excited (then crushed that excitement with it's OEM only release, which is probably why I run SageTV and not MCE/WMC/7MC today), and PCs had huge advantages over anything else out there. And on top of that there was really no other source for media that TV (or discs). Today, it seems every day there's a new online source and the DVR competition is heating up, with providers realizing people want whole home systems.

For the record, I got an HDHR Prime just a few weeks ago, and switched to Cable/FTTH from Dish about the same time, specifically because of the easier recording capabilities. In my case my provider provides all (except the movie channels) HD in the clear, so I get most channels I care about with my regular HDHR, but I got the prime for the Digital tier that they encrypt (but flag copy freely). That said, if my only option here were a cable provider that encrypted everything and flagged it copy once, I probably wouldn't have switched.

Of course the faster internet and FTTH factored in too wink.gif

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 06-29-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Streaming won't come close until there's gig internet nationwide. And the PVR with HDHR Prime is a lot less. If you want 4 locations in your home with a STB and "DVR Service" that alone is $40/mo. Add one more and it goes to $65/mo. And that is before you select your content that starts at $60/mo. Want sports? Another $10/mo at least. The cost advantages of this are huge. It just isn't being properly marketed.

The model will most likely need to include a subscription guide service I would think. The WMC guide is provided as a demonstration project by Microsoft I think. Even if that guide is $10/mo it is still much less than Charter's "DVR Service". (I'm still trying to get my arms around that one??)

post #33 of 33 Old 06-29-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

This:
"I wouldn't put my investment dollars into building a PC CableCard solution today, I just don't see it as a big enough market, and it's a shrinking market at that."

Yes, this. I wouldn't either.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page