AVS Forum banner

New Assassin HTPC - channels constantly flicker - giving me a seizure.

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  assassin 
#1 ·
Hey all, so I've got this Assassin HTPC, http://assassinhtpc.com/performance.php the elite model.

When you turn it on and start watching a channel in WMC 7 (64 bit) things look ok, but within a few mins the contrast is flickering like mad. Is this the 59hz bug that everyone is talking about? On my other HTPC with an ATI card all I had to do was disable dynamic contrast. Any pointers on how to eliminate this with an onboard intel chip.

I guess this problem is a real tough one huh? I was hoping by buying a premade system I wouldn't have to deal with it !

Thanks for any help!

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin  /t/1418009/new-assassin-htpc-channels-constantly-flicker-giving-me-a-seizure#post_22176925

All channels or just a few?

Yes, the 29/59 bug is a real tough one and is and issue with the metadata that is being sent by your provider.

Just a few. It has the intel 2000 integrated chip as I'm sure you know

So there is no solution for this?

#4 ·
i know this is kinda nitpicking, but you may want to edit that thread title.

i am in no way affiliated with Assassin, but that title bothers me. It makes it look like Assassin's HTPC's are substandard.

btw, i just purchased and received my Assassin HTPC yesterday!!!! just trying to get out of work early enough to get started on this beast!!!

#5 ·
#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1418009/new-assassin-htpc-channels-constantly-flicker-giving-me-a-seizure#post_22177635

The Clarkdale i3 doesn't have this problem (reportedly) but the i3-2xxx does (apparently). The $60 GT 430 video card will fix it, though. That said, I'm only reporting what is shown in the following threads which could be wrong too.
http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/71.aspx
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1416082/intel-hd2000-igpu-testing

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by killdanzig.  /t/1418009/new-assassin-htpc-channels-constantly-flicker-giving-me-a-seizure#post_22177569

i know this is kinda nitpicking, but you may want to edit that thread title.

i am in no way affiliated with Assassin, but that title bothers me. It makes it look like Assassin's HTPC's are substandard.

btw, i just purchased and received my Assassin HTPC yesterday!!!! just trying to get out of work early enough to get started on this beast!!!

I agree. Could you not have Private Messaged Assassin instead of posting that up with that title for everyone to see?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3ff  /t/1418009/new-assassin-htpc-channels-constantly-flicker-giving-me-a-seizure#post_22176905

Hey all, so I've got this Assassin HTPC, http://assassinhtpc.com/performance.php the elite model.

When you turn it on and start watching a channel in WMC 7 (64 bit) things look ok, but within a few mins the contrast is flickering like mad. Is this the 59hz bug that everyone is talking about? On my other HTPC with an ATI card all I had to do was disable dynamic contrast. Any pointers on how to eliminate this with an onboard intel chip.

I guess this problem is a real tough one huh? I was hoping by buying a premade system I wouldn't have to deal with it !

Thanks for any help!

Just go into the Intel driver control and turn off dynamic contrast. That will solve the issue.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfhancock  /t/1418009/new-assassin-htpc-channels-constantly-flicker-giving-me-a-seizure#post_22178060

I agree. Could you not have Private Messaged Assassin instead of posting that up with that title for everyone to see?

Would you say the same thing if it said New Dell/HP/Apple PC...? At least you know where to look up the specs to his Elite model without him having to post all the details.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker  /t/1418009/new-assassin-htpc-channels-constantly-flicker-giving-me-a-seizure#post_22178164

Just go into the Intel driver control and turn off dynamic contrast. That will solve the issue.

I was looking for it the other day. Didn't see it. I'll take a closer look now that you say it's there. You are 100% sure it's there right?

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1418009/new-assassin-htpc-channels-constantly-flicker-giving-me-a-seizure#post_22178174

Would you say the same thing if it said New Dell/HP/Apple PC...? At least you know where to look up the specs to his Elite model without him having to post all the details.

Honestly I know assassin knows his ****. Which is why I was pretty surprised to see this issue on an 800 dollar htpc he sold. We did contact support. They responded telling me to contact the manufacturer. I'm not mad, I'm not angry. I need to get this thing working so that the woman factor calms down.

#12 ·
There is a lot of misinformation regarding the 29/59 bug.

According to Microsoft's KB there are two distinct cases in broadcast MPEG that WMC video pipeline will not handle resulting in video playback stutter.

The first case is where the broadcast frequently switches between [correctly flagged] interlaced and progressive content. This is what I would call poorly formed MPEG. The second case is where the broadcast contains content that is actually flagged incorrectly for example interlaced content marked as progressive.

Here is the explaination from Microsoft KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2658140

But in addition to playback stutter, the WMC 29/59 bug apparantly can also cause a rapid change in brightness that appears as strobing or "white flicker". Microsoft Ian Kennedy provided a workaround that might fix this at least where NVIDIA is being used.
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/p/102998/551676.aspx#551676 ):

I would suggest trying Ian's workaround if turning off dynamic contrast in the intel settings does not work.

t-c

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c  /t/1418009/new-assassin-htpc-channels-constantly-flicker-giving-me-a-seizure#post_22178207

There is a lot of misinformation regarding the 29/59 bug.

According to Microsoft's KB there are two distinct cases in broadcast MPEG that WMC video pipeline will not handle resulting in video playback stutter.

The first case is where the broadcast frequently switches between [correctly flagged] interlaced and progressive content. This is what I would call poorly formed MPEG. The second case is where the broadcast contains content that is actually flagged incorrectly for example interlaced content marked as progressive.

Here is the explaination from Microsoft KB
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2658140

But in addition to playback stutter, the WMC 29/59 bug apparantly can also cause a rapid change in brightness that appears as strobing or "white flicker". Microsoft Ian Kennedy provided a workaround that might fix this at least where NVIDIA is being used.
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/p/102998/551676.aspx#551676 ):

I would suggest trying Ian's workaround if turning off dynamic contrast in the intel settings does not work.

t-c

That's fine if you have an invidia or ati card being used. I've got an intel 2000 chip.

sure I can go buy another 60 dollar card ontop of the 800 i already spent, but I'd rather not if it's just something to uncheck! I'll look again tonight

#18 ·
Just wanted to say that I built my HTPC over a year ago before assassin set up shop and have been quite happy with it. I was trying to set it up before his guides were even written andeven after the guides were published, I considered paying shipping to send it to assassin to have him run through the software but I pushed on using his software guides. It runs great now. Whatever extra you paid for this machine with the software pre-configured is well worth it in time you may have saved.

I find that some, very little actually, of the content I play stutters from time to time. LiveTV content is reported to be more of an issue than streamed content. HBO is further reported to be one of the worst. I haven't played HBO via my tuner because I don't have it in my CableTV package. LiveTV is working great for me when the CableCo can keep my signal strong. Right after switching to CableCARD there was a huge drop in signal which made me think something was up with the CableCARD tuner and I almost gave up on that concept right away but pushed on with it. After Charter fixed whatever was wrong with their signal things have been going great. That said, sometimes Charter's Tuning Resolver cannot find a channel, especially if I am recording. This is something I am working towards resolution on now.

The hardware in assassin's machines is top knotch. The software is about the best available. There are unforseens that come about when you start to apply content to your HTPC. They are not perfect. I've had my Blu-ray player hiccup on more than one occation, and the Uverse STB and/or RG would freeze requiring a power cycle which doesn't even mention the inferior PQ that at&t has on that 2-Wire system.

These things are quirky from time to time but for the most part they are worth it for better quality at a lower price.

#20 ·
Good. I was just trying to put your mind at ease. I know that this is a big expenditure but in the long run it will be worth it for the hours of enjoyment that you will get out of it.

We are trying to offer assistance too. There is certain content (not movies, but TV shows) that I playback that is jerky because the i3 doesn't handle 720p content well using the MadVR renderer. I am trying to ferret that out right now without having to add a video card either. I've just started on that adventure too. I may need to add a video card to tackle this one but, like you, am trying to fix it by seeing if some settings can be adjusted to smooth things out.

#22 ·
I think we figured it out.

I didn't see the contrast setting before, looks like it's hidden here:

"adaptive contrast bs"

Unchecked the box and haven't seen a flicker yet. Will let you guys know what happens. I'd assume it would work on all intel 2000 chipsets.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3ff  /t/1418009/new-assassin-htpc-channels-constantly-flicker-giving-me-a-seizure#post_22179163

"adaptive contrast bs"

Unchecked the box and haven't seen a flicker yet. Will let you guys know what happens. I'd assume it would work on all intel 2000 chipsets.

Excellent. Like I said I haven't been able to troubleshoot this issue so I appreciate the reply.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3ff  /t/1418009/new-assassin-htpc-channels-constantly-flicker-giving-me-a-seizure#post_22179163

"adaptive contrast bs"

Yes, that's the one. Glad you found it.

#25 ·
If you are running a business you have to take the good with the bad. Assassin is a big boy and can answer the comments himself. This can only help as customer service is a big part of any business. Would you buy something from a company that never had any negative feedback? That would tell me they are hiding something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.