HTPC planning what to expect because of HD Audio Codec Content Protection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-29-2012, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm building a HTPC primarily to play video/music through my A/V receiver & TV. The machine would also be used to rip/burn my existing DVD & BlueRay video collect while also serving to do smart tv type stuff (YouTube/Hula/Panda).

Following Assassin's HTPC guide the build would use an Ivy Bridge i5-3570k with one of the newer Ivy Bridge supporting H77 or Z77 mATX motherboards. Key would be to use the integrated onboard 1080p video and audio.
MBs being considered.
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO
ASUS P8H77-M PRO
ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
ASRock H77 Pro4-M

My concern and now procrastination is over what can or can't be done with a new HTPC build because newer motherboards seem to have audio restrictions due to "HD Audio Codec with Content Protection". I looked over Assassins guides, this and other forums and Wikipedia without clear answers as to what to expect. Or whether alternatives exists for a HTPC/work PC that plays media converted from my CD/DVD/Bluerays.

Audio chip vendor Realtek's datasheets shows PC Audio Codecs/High Definition Audio with "7.1+2 Channel HD Audio Codec with Content Protection" as the present & future. Two datasheet extracts are: "Content Protection for Full Rate lossless DVD Audio, Blu-ray DVD, and HD-DVD audio content playback (with selected versions of WinDVD/PowerDVD/TMT) "

"The ALC892-CG/ALC892-DTS-CG is a high-performance multi-channel High Definition Audio Codec with Realtek proprietary lossless content protection technology that protects pre-recorded content while still allowing full-rate audio enjoyment from DVD audio, Blu-ray DVD, or HD DVD discs."

Sorry about the verbose lead-in to these questions

Does anyone know
1 what problems/restrictions to expect in music and video playback from media stored on my NAS ?

2 would this only impact audio recorded in specific HD Codecs - such from Bluerays?

3 would this prevent Blueray ripping with HD audio?

4 would it still be possible to bitstream HD Audio (thru tools like Shark007 Codec Packs and ffdshow /LAV Media Splitter)

5 would this effect playback of music converted from CDs, obviously before HD audio

also any CPU/MB suggestions as options
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-30-2012, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If it's on your hard drive (taken from blu-ray/dvd/cd/ ect) then any protection has already been removed(including HDCP). This of course is technically illegal, but there you have it. Once its on you HDD, its good to go. You should have no issues bit streaming. As far as playing from disk, assuming all your parts are HDCP compliant (seems they are) you will be fine. Whatever blu-ray software you are using will pass or process the audio in an HDCP compliant way.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page