Help configuring DVI to VGA for projector. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The card is an AMD Radeon 6570 HD card with a dual-link DVI out. Is it possible to connect this to a projector via DVI to VGA? If so, which DVI is needed. Do you need a DVI-I Single Link cable? More importantly, what is the difference between a dual-link and a single-link cable? It is all very confusing. I have tried various adapters with little success. I recently attempted it with a DVI to VGA adapter with a DVI-I Dual Link and it didn't work. Testing the port, the only time I got an image from it was with a DVI-D single link to HDMI cable. This obviously makes sense as it's a digital to digital signal. But what about VGA, which is analog? I don't understand how the signal is sent, basically. Is an adapter not enough? If you have any experience with this, please help! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

I should say, most importantly, that this has to be sent to a VGA cable and not HDMI. I was only using the HDMI to test and make sure the card was configured properly.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

It's difficult for me to find information about the video card because it only has HDMI and a DVI-I dual link outputs. Is this something I need to adjust in the BIOS, or what? It's clearly sending a digital signal when running through the DVI-D to HDMI cable, but any other attempts with adapters fail. Do I need a cable and not an adapter? There is very little information that I can find on this.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Who is the exact manufacturer of your video card. All of the AMD 6570 based cards I could find had a standard PC 15pin DSUB VGA connector on them. . In fact I have never found a PC graphics/video card that did not have support for VGA graphics with a DSUB connector or dongle.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moore View Post

The card is an AMD Radeon 6570 HD card with a dual-link DVI out. Is it possible to connect this to a projector via DVI to VGA? If so, which DVI is needed. Do you need a DVI-I Single Link cable? More importantly, what is the difference between a dual-link and a single-link cable? It is all very confusing. I have tried various adapters with little success. I recently attempted it with a DVI to VGA adapter with a DVI-I Dual Link and it didn't work. Testing the port, the only time I got an image from it was with a DVI-D single link to HDMI cable. This obviously makes sense as it's a digital to digital signal. But what about VGA, which is analog? I don't understand how the signal is sent, basically. Is an adapter not enough? If you have any experience with this, please help! Thanks.

You just need a standard DVI-I to VGA adapter. Single-link vs dual-link is totally irrelevant here.

- Single-link: TMDS RGB (digital, up to 1980 x 1200 60Hz)

- Dual-link: TMDS RGB x 2 (digital, beyond that)

They are purely digital outputs.

DVI-I connector has 4 pins (around the flat blade) for analog RGB outputs and VGA uses them and DDC pins (for EDID) and the analgo vsync pin. The graphics card converts digital to analog and sends analog signals over the 4 pins of DVI-I.

post #6 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

That's the confusing thing for me, too. I purchased this HTPC used, so it's possible that the original owner modified the card? I don't know. It's in an Antec Micr Fusion case. Could they have just removed the VGA in order to fit the card?
post #7 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

You just need a standard DVI-I to VGA adapter. Single-link vs dual-link is totally irrelevant here.

- Single-link: TMDS RGB (digital, up to 1980 x 1200 60Hz)
- Dual-link: TMDS RGB x 2 (digital, beyond that)

They are purely digital outputs.

DVI-I connector has 4 pins (around the flat blade) for analog RGB outputs and VGA uses them and DDC pins (for EDID) and the analgo vsync pin. The graphics card converts digital to analog and sends analog signals over the 4 pins of DVI-I.

This is what I thought, but when I try using a DVI-I to VGA cable, I get no signal. Is there a setting that I have disabled the analog out somewhere? It's strange that the DVI port would work when hooked up with a DVI-D to HDMI but nothing else.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

I've tried that, as well as what I believe is DVI-A. Neither work.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

If you insert a DVI-I/A to VGA adapter, the graphics card automatically outputs analog signals. You just need to select the correct input in your display. (Try to connect an old analog PC monitor and see if the adapter works.)

post #10 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I tried that with my VGA monitor that I'm using now. Screen is blank, but the monitor appears to be getting some signal because the default plugged-in-but-no-signal image disappears.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Screen is blank

Then either the adapter or the card itself is bad.

post #12 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That's the confusing thing for me, too. I purchased this HTPC used, so it's possible that the original owner modified the card? I don't know. It's in an Antec Micr Fusion case. Could they have just removed the VGA in order to fit the card?

Hmm, what the exact model number of the card is? Every single low-profile HD 6570 card I've seen has a VGA connector that is connected to the card via a ribbon cable and that requires another bracket to fit in a low-profile case, like this:

LP.PNG

If you don't see a VGA connector, then the seller must have removed it.

post #13 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
How about an EDID issue?

Can you verify that the driver is getting proper EDID data from the monitor?

[ed. Just for giggles, you might want to try booting from a Linux Live CD and see what happens. If that works then you'll know it's a Windows driver issue and not a hardware issue.]
post #14 of 15 Old 06-30-2012, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Just because the DVI connector is a DVI-I connector does not mean that the 4 analog pins around the spade are actually connected to anything on the video card.
Poossibly there is a name and model number printed ont the card with the AMD6570 chip on it,or the deviice manager will have a name for the manufacturer.
The video protocol for DVI-D and HDMI is esactly the same only the pin numbers are different so these adapters always work.
The 4 analog pins on a DVI-I output connector are not always used for VGA, sometimes they are used for Component.
I think Renethx is on the right track..
post #15 of 15 Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah, if the card has a dedicated VGA connector (which the seller may have removed), then perhaps the "DVI-I" connector does not support analog. It is more likely that the card manufacturer happened not to have DVI-D connectors, so used DVI-I connectors instead. Who knows...

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page