Use HTPC to fool a 3d plasma into thinking it's receiving 3d? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-01-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was just thinking that, since many 3D-capable televisions (like my Pana 60ST30) have a 120 Hz display mode for frame-sequential 3D, but many also do not have a good 24P input @ 120Hz display mode, is there a way to use a PC to:

1. "Fool" the TV into thinking it's getting a 3D image, thus engaging frame-sequential 120 Hz. mode.
2. Order frames that would otherwise be intended for separate Left/Right eye images such that they mimic 5:5 pulldown.
3. NOT wear 3D glasses, but get judder-free images.

I suppose one of the criteria would be that you would have to process the 24p frame-sequential material into something that mimicked 60 hz 3d material in storage, as this would be the only way to get past 3:2 pulldown being engaged and doubled (tv likely process frame-sequential 24p, which is essentially doubled to 48 hz with 3:2 pulldown engaged for a 120 Hz display refresh...otherwise, there'd be no way to alternate the cadence within the same sequence of L/R paired images). Caveats being I don't know how or if my tv handles 1080p60 material in frame-sequential 3d (don't see why it wouldn't be able to; from a processing standpoint it's less intensive than doing 3:2 pulldown for 24p material), and I don't know how you'd overcome the differences in gamma and brightness/contrast the tv engages for 3d mode. It'd be a neat exercise, tho...

Frustrating that televisions are being sold with a 120 Hz display refresh capability for 3D, and in less expensive plasma at least, you have sub-field drives operating 10 times a second, but they can't do 5:5 pulldown for 24p input material...no excuse for this, imho it's artificially holding back the tv to present a value proposition for more expensive sets. I don't mind a value proposition in features it takes extra hardware or intense development to achieve, but the artificial value spread among models irks me to no end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-01-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

edit "10 times per refresh" vice "10 times per second" for sub-field drive, above.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-01-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Why would you want to do this? The ST30 can handle 24p content in it's 60 hz mode amazingly well. I don't think it's possible, and even if it were, I don't think you would want to do it. The additional electricity to the pixels at 120 Hz could cause some picture quality issues. Ultimately, the TV wasn't really designed for this, and I think it would be a major challenge (if not impossible) to get this to work.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Just a thought. To "prove" the tv's underlying hardware can handle 5:5 pulldown with ease on the processor side. To point out how ridiculous it is that it doesn't do it natively. Fun, maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Ultimately, the TV wasn't really designed for this

You mean 3D itself? I don't think the tv cares what's in the L/R images from a 3D source, it just displays them. If you're saying the TV shouldn't be operated in 3D mode for extended periods...I dunno. I think the phosphors are being pumped at 600 Hz regardless of refresh rate, and I don't know that it'd make any difference to the longevity so long as you kept the contrast down when you weren't watching "real" 3D.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The way I understand it, picture quality in the 3D modes on plasma TVs tends to be worse than 2D modes. I believe the increased energy used at 120 hz can lead to decreased black levels and other issues. I remember the Samsung models last year had decreased black levels in their 96 Hz mode. I'm not really an expert on this stuff though.

I'd say go for it! It just sounds like an enormous undertaking for little to no benefit and may make picture quality worse.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page