Netgear R6300 wireless router - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anybody tried the Netgear R6300 wireless router and A6200 USB WiFi adapter for streaming HD video, yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-02-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycochkn View Post

Has anybody tried the Netgear R6300 wireless router and A6200 USB WiFi adapter for streaming HD video, yet.

I'd be interested as well.

I was looking at this router, as I am moving somewhere that doesn't have cat 5 wired. But I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the USB adapter...

Also once you consider the cost of the router plus multiple $60 usb WIFI adapters...I decided it makes more sense to have an electrician wire cat 5.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-02-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I'd be interested as well.
I was looking at this router, as I am moving somewhere that doesn't have cat 5 wired. But I can't seem to find anywhere that sells the USB adapter...
Also once you consider the cost of the router plus multiple $60 usb WIFI adapters...I decided it makes more sense to have an electrician wire cat 5.

The A6200 will not be available for at least a month.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-02-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
In August, the Linksys EA6500 802.11AC router and companion 802.11AC Universal Media Connector are supposed to be available as well.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM

Liked: 10
I bought the Netgear R6300 Wifi router last night.
I have used it roughly for more than 14 hours: 1-hour to play with configuration, less than 1-hour on the phone with technical support, less than 1-hour on the TV (Netflix, Sony Google TV2, DLNA Media Server, Bluray Player, Comcast ISP, Speedtest.net, 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz), the rest was working from home.
My interactions were certainly not deep, but surely wide in this short span of time. Here are my initial observations:
  1. Technical Supports, 4-star (of 5):
    I had a concern with the Wifi signal strength on my HTC Thunderbolt, which showed a single bar, even though it always has at minimal 2 bars at the furthest point in my house (45-ft radius) with my 8-yr old 2WIRE631 Gateway router.
    Netgear Technical support staff was great. The guy was so patient due to the complexity nature. We worked together very well, going through several configurable items. As a result, not only I'm happier with my R6300, but also I learned quite a bit more about the strength of R6300 router.
  2. Installation, 4-star (of 5):
    This was as simple as any Wifi routers that I have installed in the past 15 years. I didn't run into any issue. R6300 worked immediately.
  3. Speed, 5-star (of 5):
    I worked 10 hour today, so the span of time provides a good average during various network use in my neighborhood.
    My 2 XP desktops which were wired to the router showed slightly faster speed. I didn't expect much improvement on these 2 wired connected desktops.
    The Wifi connections told a positive story:
    a. Despite of the "single dot" signal strength I got on my HTC Thunderbolt, speedtest.net consistently showed a marked faster speed than what I used to get with my older 2WIRE router. The best I got was over 11Mbps download, and over 3.25Mbps upload. Keep in mind that my phone can only take the slower 2.4GHz band.
    b. My Toshiba Satellite laptop detected both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, though the speeds were not noticeably different between the 2 bands. Why? I don't know. I intend to talk to Technical supports at another time on this issue.
    c. The MacBook Pro (latest model with Retina display in 2012) Wifi is a totally different story. Its 5GHz Wifi connection showed 5 bars, consistently around 25Mbps download, and about 3.75Mbps upload, tested at 35-ft from the router. At these speeds, the MacBook Pro Wifi downloads are 20% faster than my 2 wired desktops. If someone can explain that to me, I'd appreciate that.
    d. Youtube, Netflix, on my wired Sony Google TV2 worked as well as I had seen in the past, if not slightly better.
    e. In short, I "love" the 802.11ac speed and the dual band. I believe my other cell phone Samsung Galaxy SIII also enjoys that 802.11ac speed. That phone is not at home physically. I anticipate my next phone HTC DLX (VZW) will also enjoy that 802.11ac as well.
  4. DLNA Media Server, 4-star (of 5):
    This feature is a big bonus for me and I only played with it for less than half an hour. Before buying the R6300, DLNA was practically nil in my home network.
    The R6300 recognized my HTC Thunderbolt phone as a media server. I was able to play videos, songs, images on my 65" 3D Samsung TV. I'm now curious if the TV can do 3D-simulated conversion on videos from my phone. I don't see why not, but haven't got time to try.
  5. Web-based Admin Console, 1-star (of 5):
    Mostly this low rating was based on 2 points: a) very cumbersome, primitive, obsolete technology on Parental Controls (content and access controls).
    When comparing to the Web-based interface that I've been using in the past 15 years from 2WIRE Gateway routers, Netgear's design certainly can learn a few things from 2WIRE, and b) slow performance.
    But this slow rating will not deter me from keeping this Netgear R6300, as well as strongly recommending it to others.
  6. Netgear Ginie Android application, 4-star (of 5):
    I was pleasantly surprised of the usefulness of this free application.
    I now can administrate my home network without sitting down in my office as with 2WIRE routers.
    It's a great approach to today's mobile world.
  7. Look and feel, 4-star (of 5):
    I read some negative feed back from some reviews about the look and feel of this router.
    IMHO, I actually like its sleek, simple design, especially its simplicity in the front panel with just 3 lights: power, connected to the net, and Wifi.
    I haven't had the chance to use the reset button, which is strategically located in a spot that one must really want to reset the router to hit that button. I like that too.
  8. ReadyShare USB and Printer, no opinion:
    I haven't got time to play with those.
  9. No-no to Cloud Connect router software, 5-star (of 5):
    Netgear Technical supports confirmed with me that Netgear will not
    a. Force a firmware upgrade on its routers, now and in the future.
    b. Force a "Cloud Connect router software" on its routers, the way CISCO Linksys EA4500 had done, though then CISCO quickly reversed after uproar from users.
    In fact, I decided not to fool around with CISCO Linksys EA4500 router because of the "sneaky" approach that CISCO decided on tracking users' internet history.
    How much can I count on a promise from "one" technical support staff?
    I can't say much, but it's a good indication that they are aware of how the router owners feel.

To sum up, I'm very happy with my purchase of this Netgear R6300, and my decision not to buy the CISCO Linksys EA4500.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-15-2012, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Great review, congrats on your purchase!

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #7 of 16 Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamdinhnguyen View Post

e. In short, I "love" the 802.11ac speed and the dual band. I believe my other cell phone Samsung Galaxy SIII also enjoys that 802.11ac speed. That phone is not at home physically. I anticipate my next phone HTC DLX (VZW) will also enjoy that 802.11ac as well.

What devices do you have other than the router that have 802.11ac radios?    I know the HTC Thunderbolt doesn't. I'm pretty sure the MacBook doesn't.  And I'd be shocked if the Galaxy did.  I'm not sure I understand what device on this list would be using the AC protocol for a connection.

BTW, regarding your comment that "b. My Toshiba Satellite laptop detected both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, though the speeds were not noticeably different between the 2 bands. Why? I don't know. I intend to talk to Technical supports at another time on this issue" there's no reason you would see different speeds.  It operates on two frequencies, but other than environmental factors, there's no reaon one band would be faster than the other. It operates at the same speed over either frequency.   Indeed, other than avoiding interference from other 2.4GHZ devices, 2.4GHZ penetrates walls and the like better and usually provides a stronger connection.

post #8 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 149
You really need to test that router with something more than an internet connection.

25 Mbps is child's play.

post #9 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 PM

Here are 802.11ac equipments that I have positively verified: MacBook Pro (latest 2012 model Apple with Retina display), and Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop.
My HTC Thunderbolt doesn't even detect 5GHz band.
The Netgear tech support guy mentioned Samsung Galaxy SIII is 802.11ac capable.
I'm hoping (and praying too) that my upcoming HTC DLX (VZW) will also be 802.11ac capable.
That much I know.

Thanks for your explanation on my question.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 PM

The only tool I have is speedtest.net, which is available on browsers, or smartphones.
Though, I'd love to measure the speed for streaming devices, such as LG 3D BluRay player, Sony Google TV2.0, and others(?).
Show me the way, I'll do it, and report back.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

how did you verify it because everything I have read says the MacBook Pro MIGHT get ac in 2013 and Toshiba's specs say a/b/g/n.

I would be surprised, but very interested to know, if there is a single laptop for sale by anyone today that includes draft 802.11ac wireless.

Oh, and the specs on the Galaxy III also say a/b/g/n. Heck, Broadcom only announced the first mobile 802.11ac chip three weeks ago and won't be shipping until early next year.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Windows Resource Monitor with a file transfer.

post #13 of 16 Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 PM

Last update on this product.
I returned the device to Best Buy tonight. It was fried.
mad.gif
post #14 of 16 Old 09-20-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Guys, I have 2 R6300 routers. I use one as a router and 1 as an access point for my HTPC. They are working great, totally rock solid for me. I wish I didn't have to spend so much on it, but I am satisfied with the product.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-21-2012, 11:22 AM

Liked: 13
When you setup two dual band routers, (one as main, second as Ap) i know the channels on the 2.4 band is supposed to be far apart like 1 and 11. Does the same apply to the 5ghz band? 153 and 161?

Thanks
post #16 of 16 Old 01-01-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

I got my R6300 and A6200 for Christmas. The combination gives me file transfers from computer to computer of aproximately 200 mbs, probably not bad considering that the USB port is only good for about 280 mbs. I am thinking of getting another R6300 to replace the A6200 because I need to connect multiple devices with only ethernet connectors at the HTPC location, the televilsion and a network TV tuner.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page