What is the very best wireless router available right now? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:14 PM
ASW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ASUS RT-N66u (with the RTN-56u close behind).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Liked: 11
Check out http://www.ampedwireless.com/

10,000 sq ft of coverage, only 169.99

Home WiFi Network Bridge for A/V Devices
72.9.159.100 likes this.

To beat a noob, you must think like a noob...
post #273 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My Linksys router works perfectly and I bought it from their "refurb" store, so I saved some money to boot! I think that from personal experience and from what I've read, Cisco products are always the best.smile.gif
eXoticon likes this.

William R. Moore
post #274 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Liked: 12
I have an Asus RT-N66U. I have had it for months but just put it into service about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Reason for delay: Asus firmware for it really sucked. I have a net connection that runs about 35 Mbps. I noticed a significant increase in download speeds when I replaced my old router with the RT-N66U.

Asus has been releasing updates and now their firmware is OK. But I would use a release by Rmerlin. http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7047 That is a pretty long thread. You may want to start at maybe 3 or 4 pages from the end.

Merlin has a lot of bug features and some additional refinements. That is what I am using. It is stable and provides pretty much all of the things Asus said it was supposed to. My needs included IPV6 and QoS. They both now work. There was an initial issue with the way the router handled working nvram. There was supposed to be 64MB, but only 32MB was accessible. That is now resolved in all versions of firmware.

It is very fast hardware. I don't use wireless, but those that do report good things about wireless performance. Tomato is available for the router. I believe DD-WRT also has a version running.

The Asus version for AC is now out, and Merlin is working on the firmware as well. Asus has gone to a common code base which simplifies supporting their devices. The AC is still a little rocky. The AC has more flash,, but is otherwise very similar to the non-AC Different radio chip, of course).

Newegg is currently having a sale on the RT-N66U. Pretty much the first time it has been below list.
vivatech likes this.
post #275 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:38 PM

I love my Linksys E4200v2. It has everything I need from a router - stability, range, speed, ease of use, elegant design, etc.
post #276 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Regardless of brand, price, single or dual band, etc. I just want the most rock solid, reliable, always connect, always maintain throughput, good range and coverage, wireless N router.
Any suggestions?

As a computer programmer, engineer, and someone who has bought more NIC's (maybe 10 wireless) and routers (5 routers total) this is what I can tell you:

You aren't going to get a clear cut concise answer. What you should get depends on your needs, and what your neighborhood is like.

If you FORCED me to cut it down to two recommendations I would go with:

Netgear N900 (a, b, g, n) 2.4GHz and 5GHz band (up to 450 Mbps) This has VERY favorable reviews on CNET and Amazon.

OR

Linksys E4200 (Stay away from the EA model versions) (a, b, g, n) 2.4GHz and 5GHz 3x3 (up to 450Mbps)

The 2.4GHz band is VERY VERY crowded around most areas, and that often leads to poor speeds and reception. My neighbor had an old analog baby monitor that wreaked havok on my signal. You are also competing with your neighbors for the few open channels there are. The 5GHz band is relatively clear and empty by comparison.

But to benefit from this, you need to pick a NIC (network adapter) card that can also do 5 GHz. If the network card is listed to support a, b, g, n, then it will work on 5Ghz. (Reason being is a protocol is only available on 5 GHz band)

For a matching adapter I recommend the TRENDnet TEW-684UB. (a, b, g, n) 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz 3x3 (up to 450Mbps*) It's very small (about the size of a credit card) and has a solid connection in the 5Ghz band. However you'll never reach 450Gbps upload/download as USB 2.0 can only do 480Mbps, but in reality it's closer to 240Mbps with all the overhead.

With the TEW-684UB and a 3ft USB extension cable, I can maintain 200 speeds up/down all day in the 5Ghz band. I've only ever been dropped once.

If you still need stronger your options are:
1) Repeater (which slows down maximum throughput and they can be flakey)
2) Powerlien networking adapter
3) Creating a directional antenna using aluminum foil (very effective)
4) Industrial wireless (which can be THOUSANDS of dollars)

Speaker design is rather an art. There is no such thing as the perfect painting. Likewise there is no such thing as a perfect speaker. It's part science and part personal preference.
post #277 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I've used Linksys wireless router along w/their modems for about 15 years. Just had to replace 1
wireless/router bundle/combo and that's about it. Pretty reliable and works excellent.
post #278 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:41 PM

Asus RT-n66u: Never had an issue with firmware. Been using now 4-5 months on FIOS 25Mbps up/down.. get a solid pipe I can saturate entirely with bitorrent. Had to replace my old DIR-655. The wireless signal is much better across a 3 story hour and is stronger coming from basement to 2nd floor than my airport express on the 1st floor. VPN feature is great, can use native iOS VPN to tunnel into my lan to do many different things including Skype, LAN, streaming video (some of which is blocked when abroad). They also are releasing RT-AC66U depending if you want bleeding edge.
post #279 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:41 PM

I use 5 GHZ. No interference from neighbors, microwave ovens, cordless phones.

Netgear's WNHDE111 are easily found for 50 or less. INCREDIBLY reliable. Streams to HDTV just great, no hiccups.

They can be used in bridge or ap mode.

I also use alfa network model awus051nh usb 5 GHZ wireless high power adapters on household computers.

Meraki wifi stumbler app tells me I am only one on channel 143 for miles!
post #280 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:42 PM

Liked: 16
I may be late to the party here, but I have the E4200v1 (not the latest) and I think its garbage. I have to reboot it constantly as my streaming speeds or internet crawls to a halt or becomes unstable. Directly connected to the cable modem there are no issues. I'll probably be switching to an Airport Extreme. I needed something that worked on the 5Ghz band, so that is why i picked up the 4200 in the first place. The Extreme also works on both bands, but has a good rep for being stable. Its also app controlled/setup. So I can make changes on the fly and easily set things up in native apps on iPhone, iPad or Macbook (I have all three). I believe I can also hook up a MAC formatted drive for Time Machine where the E4200 only supported windows formats. I also have two PCs in the house as well, but I don't care as much about backing them up like I do with my Apple Products (gaming rig and work supplied laptop). Also open to other models, and have looked at Dlink/ASUS. I just think the Airport meets my needs.

post #281 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:43 PM

I did a bit of research about this one - although it looks good in theory its pretty pointless unless your end devices are capable of generating the necessary power to 'back chat' to the router (just because the router has the power to reach the device, most smaller devices like smartphones / ipads etc dont have sufficient juice to generate the signal back). The only real way to stretch to a wider coverage is to add multiple access points to be local to your device concentration.

Like most of the posters, the RT-N66U seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment (especially with the merlin software)- it has some nice targeted wireless features for better reach. If you do need to stretch even further there is a nice funky EA-N66 access point that seems to pair nicely with it to.

I've been hanging out for the 802.11ac devices (the RT-AC66U for example) but with no embedded devices .ac capable yet and crappy firmware, I think thats going to be a project for 2013/2014
post #282 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by havok2022 View Post

I may be late to the party here, but I have the E4200v1 (not the latest) and I think its garbage. I have to reboot it constantly as my streaming speeds or internet crawls to a halt or becomes unstable. Directly connected to the cable modem there are no issues. I'll probably be switching to an Airport Extreme. I needed something that worked on the 5Ghz band, so that is why i picked up the 4200 in the first place. The Extreme also works on both bands, but has a good rep for being stable. Its also app controlled/setup. So I can make changes on the fly and easily set things up in native apps on iPhone, iPad or Macbook (I have all three). I believe I can also hook up a MAC formatted drive for Time Machine where the E4200 only supported windows formats. I also have two PCs in the house as well, but I don't care as much about backing them up like I do with my Apple Products (gaming rig and work supplied laptop). Also open to other models, and have looked at Dlink/ASUS. I just think the Airport meets my needs.

Or I'll just pony up and get a Juniper and hopefully be happy for a while.

post #283 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:48 PM

As a foot note, I've also been running a WNDR3700 v1 as well for about 3 years and I can't really fault it for the wireless / routing features (and it does simultaneous 5ghz/2.4Ghz).

If you're using any of the stock Netgear firmware the bells and whistles (like USB drives and DLNA servers) are pretty poor and unreliable , but if you're willing to look beyond you can turn it into a pretty advanced router with the opensource firmware from OpwnWRT (my favourite) or DD-WRT.

Its is only a 2x2 antenna though, and some of my newer devices are 3x3 - hence the upgrade to the RT-N66U (but I only use that for wireless now , the WNDR3700 is still my main router / switch with no wireless running)
post #284 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW View Post

ASUS RT-N66u (with the RTN-56u close behind).
+1
post #285 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:56 PM

I know I'm super late to this discussion, but it's fitting to have popped up and gotten my interest as I too am looking into a router. I've used, happily I may add, the DLink 4500 gaming router. Our cat knocked it over and I started experiencing hiccups in connection while gaming. Can anyone give me info on if DLink is planning a successor to the 4500 or if there was a better and prevailing router for sale right now.?

Thanks!
post #286 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 12:57 PM
lpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000 View Post

If you're planning on putting custom firmware on it, the Asus RT-N16 is an excellent choice. Good processor, tonnes of memory and compatible with DD-WRT and Tomato.

I am using the N-16 with DD-WRT as my gateway hub attached to 50mbs comcast. I have three other n routers as access points feeding the ASUS. I have no problems the wireless and the gigabit switch work great.
post #287 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 01:14 PM
M4P

I'm using the Netgear R6300 as my main router, and another R6300 as a wireless bridge. I do have to disclose that I got these from Netgear as a beta tester. So far, the R6300 has been performing great, especially with streaming to my bluray player. I also have a Netgear WNDR4500 which I was running stock firmware on, but I understand DD-WRT is now available for it.

Help Wiki for LG BD570: http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570 (thanks Dave_Nedde & thx1138)

LG Executive Services 877-543-8325
post #288 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpg View Post

I am using the N-16 with DD-WRT as my gateway hub attached to 50mbs comcast. I have three other n routers as access points feeding the ASUS. I have no problems the wireless and the gigabit switch work great.

I tried DD-WRT on my N-16 and actually found Tomato to be a lot more stable. I put it on maybe six months ago, so perhaps something has changed since then. I wouldn't know. I haven't had a need to change anything. It's just been humming along nicely for a half year now, no issues, no resets necessary. I love it.
post #289 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 01:28 PM

I feel wireless routers are going to be like cordless telephones were. The old 1970s/80s cordless telephones carried 1/4 -1/2 a mile. The "improved" 900MHz and 2.4 ones are lucky to get to your front yard and today's won't reach the bedroom.

The best router I have used for distance is the one that came with my Fios model 424. Carries 100-150ft consistently.
post #290 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 01:29 PM

I've tried DLINK and Netgear and for some reason My phones and tablet will occasionaly get disconnected from internet access yet still be connected. Then if I shut the radio off on the device and turn it back on I get internet access again. Will a better router fix this? Is it because the lower end routers can't handle multiple connections?
post #291 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM

I've been using a linksys se2800 connected to a linksys E4200 and have never looked back! I know your not using it for streaming, but if you did its flawless, I have about 12 other wireless devices I run off my home network and can connect from a block away wth my cellphone, tablet, laptop, etc. I've tried several other configurtations and was never happy. I picked up the 2800 at a yard sale for $25.00 and bought the E4200 from linksys, I also use the plsk400 to connect my google tv in my bedroom as I wanted it wired, and I couldn't be happier. I know its a little bit much but like someone else commented seeing as I use my home network to connect my gadgets probably 8 10 hours a day, I don't think $180-200.00 would be too much to pay for a solid connection, I lucked out finding the one router at a yard sale, but if I hadn't I'd have gladly paid to have the setup i have now!cool.gif
post #292 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

If price is really not a consideration, then hands down, the Dell PowerConnect W 651 controller trumps anything on the market. It's a wireless controller with a built in ICSA certified firewall which also supports cellular broadband cards. It has a built in AP that has a 3x3 MIMO radio and 2 spatial streams. The AP portion of the 651 has advanced technologies such as ARM (adaptive radio management) and band steering which none of the SOHO or SMB devices have. ARM allows the controller to monitor the RF spectrum of the operating environment and adjust the operating channel on the fly of any SSID configured on the controller. The stateful firewall built into the controller can peer into packets transmitted over the wireless network and apply QoS for data streams such as VoIP or multimedia. Add on top of the system's base functionality, the controller also supports advanced wireless features such as spectrum analysis where you can see exactly what is operating over the airwaves in your area and RF Protect which not only tags rogue wirless access points but can do denial of service attacks to ensure your wireless network is secure. This is all part of the WIPS (wireless intrusion prevention system).

Also, if you need more coverage, the controller supports additional access points which vary from the simple single band APs in the 68 and 93s to the base standard of the 105 and 125s with dual radios and 2 spatial stream support all the way up to the big daddy 135 which supports 3 spatial streams and only requires standard 802.3af (PoE)....the only one on the market that can do this, all the others require PoE+. You have the ability to provide access based on user and device profile as the controller with its firewall can be set up with policies specific for each user or device. Which brings up the controller's device finger printing capability where it can figure out the type of wireless device you are connecting to the network (ie iPad, Android, or Windows). It can also do captive portal so you can have simple guest access without the need to share out wireless encryption passphrases.

The controller also supports IPSEC connectivity and if you're looking to be really cool, you can leverage its RAP (remote access point) functionality. This means you can use a RAP device or a regular AP converted over to be a RAP and place it at any location with a wired Internet connection. The RAP phones home to the 651 controller and establishes a IPSEC/GRE tunnel. With this setup, you've extended your LAN at your home/business across the Internet to this remote location and you're on functioning like you're on your LAN even though you're hundreds of miles away both wireless (yes all your SSIDs broadcasting at your home location is broadcasting at the remote location) and wired....all in a secure fashion. The controller has bult in PoE and USB ports.

I have running on my network the 620 controller and I've barely scratched the surface of what this hardware can do. Again, if price is not a consideration there's nothing that comes close for an all in one unit.
post #293 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 02:15 PM

Wow, I'll skip here from page 1 and chime in for the Apple airport extreme.
All set up was easy and simple.

I use it with the following connected wirelessly or hard wired
3 airport expresses for streaming music to different rooms
3 apple TVs , 3 Samsung Smart TVs
1 Denon 1912 AVR
2 iPads/ MacBooks
3 back up LaCie hard drives to swap data and store RAW files
1 HP laser printer for wireless printing from anywhere in the condo.

The set up was simple and there is basically no maintenance. Took a little to get the right channel dialed in. With the air play feature I can play music from the iPhone/iPad/MacBook to any speaker in the building or leave iTunes running and use the app called Remote to stream tunes to any or all of the speakers including the 6.1 home theater, and adjust the volumes separately. I can access the hard drive on my desktop from the Samsung TVs with a third party app. Easy to set up.

I have had very good luck with this router and build my system around it. Very easy to use and maintain. Needs to reboot maybe 2 times per year. signal works well.

Denon 1912
Polk audio in a 6.1
Samsung 55"
post #294 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just purchased a Netgear CNDR4500 router and a Trendnet TEW-680 ethernet 4 port bridge. Both are dual band and support speeds up to 450... wink.gif. The 4500 sure is a step up from my old 7 or 8 year old WRT54G(version 1). smile.gif My HT stuff is all wireless or wired capable. I wanted to be able to use the less congested 5.0 network for those HT connections through the Trendnet bridge along with the 4500, and the slower 2.4 network for everything else. So far I've been pleased. The purchase from Newegg for the Netgear router was sweetened by a 20 percent off coupon that is good until through this Sunday(26th).
post #295 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 02:30 PM

Get Apple Time capsule with built in router and 2TB hard disk.
kpax478 likes this.
post #296 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 02:34 PM

I've got a Billion 7800n and it's the best piece of home networking equipment I've owned. Totally reliable, good ADSL performance, gigabit ports, 2nd modem uplink port, and decent wifi performance. It's the stability that does it for me though - I've had Cisco, DLink, Netgear, and Belkin kit, and honestly by comparison they were all a complete waste of money.

Only thing it lacks is 5ghtz wifi. Not been an issue for me, personally.
post #297 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM

So after 296 posts, have we arrived at a concensus yet or will this just go on and on like most forums that try to get to the bottom of things? Really, there has to be a better way to distill information to something more immediate and cognitive.
post #298 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 03:02 PM

WNDR3700 - is a solid dual band router good range/speed/reliability.
WNDR4500 - is ridiculous fast but reliabity....meh
DIR-655 - I've had one at my in-laws since they've come out (like 5 years now) and it covers most of a 3000sq ft house with exceptional reliability/pretty good speed.
EA4500 - Has good speed and range w/ latest firmware but that pretty much goes for all of em...
post #299 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser View Post

So after 296 posts, have we arrived at a concensus yet or will this just go on and on like most forums that try to get to the bottom of things? Really, there has to be a better way to distill information to something more immediate and cognitive.

Obviously there are a lot of routers that are OK. If I was shopping for one I would look to one which can support custom firmware just in case the stock is misbehaving or is missing features. If you look at most of the high end n routers they have similar internals an are usually running Linux. So it pays to just look at the specs because price isn't always a good sign it's new. Also I'm sure routers like Airport Extreme are reliable but if you just want good coverage especially in a larger house or backyard area you're much better off with something like a RT-N66u which has a good radio with higher power xmit, 3 external antenna etc.
post #300 of 471 Old 08-24-2012, 03:45 PM

+1 on the E3000. A few niggles on the guest account setup, but it has worked flawlessly for over a year. I have at least 10 devices connected with never a hiccup.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Apple Airport Extreme Base Station Simultaneous Dual Band Mc340ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page