What is the very best wireless router available right now? - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 471 Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking for a wireless router with above average range, but the Asus RT-N66U seems a little overkill. Is there anything similar to this in regards to range for less money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 471 Old 09-05-2012, 04:49 PM

Liked: 15
^^^^^^

You can get a Cisco e3000 refurb from newegg.com for under $50 delivered. Download Tomato USB firmware from here. Install router and go into Linksys stock firmware. Update firmware to the tomato usb firmware xxxxxxx.bin. Let it do its thing and reboot. Go into Tomato firmware: Administration->Configuration->Restore Default Configuration->Erase all data in NVRAM memory(thorough)->OK Enjoy a superfast router with advanced level QoS, network monitoring, DLNA support, etc. for under $50. Enjoy!
post #363 of 471 Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM

Liked: 10
I recently upgraded from a Linksys WRT54G to a Linksys E4200. The E4200 is available at Amazon for $100 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K1EZDS).

I was looking to get into the 5Ghz band as 2.4Ghz is over-saturated in my area (~30 SIDs can be observed using WiFi Analyzer).

I like the "Guest" wifi feature on the E4200. I believe this has become pretty common, but it is nice that people can come over to visit, get on the guest wifi and I don't have to worry about them having access to private data on my network.

I did have trouble with this router. I was getting terrible throughput to YouTube. The iPad only plays YouTube videos in HD, so they were buffering like a fiend. I found out that the MTU on the router was set to 1,500, and YouTube doesn't like this. Dropped it to 1,460 and now 1080p YouTube videos play without stopping to buffer. Other than that, I haven't had any trouble with connecting ~20 devices (both wired & wireless) to this router.

I should note that I don't pull much content from my network over WiFi. I primarily get it from the web and my connection is 15/2 down/up. So I wouldn't really see a benefit for the 802.11 N speeds.

I have heard the Apple routers are excellent from a performance standpoint, but at close to double the cost of a new router with comparable features, I would rather spend the money on something else.
post #364 of 471 Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec1alk View Post

I recently upgraded from a Linksys WRT54G to a Linksys E4200. The E4200 is available at Amazon for $100 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K1EZDS).
I was looking to get into the 5Ghz band as 2.4Ghz is over-saturated in my area (~30 SIDs can be observed using WiFi Analyzer).
I like the "Guest" wifi feature on the E4200. I believe this has become pretty common, but it is nice that people can come over to visit, get on the guest wifi and I don't have to worry about them having access to private data on my network.
I did have trouble with this router. I was getting terrible throughput to YouTube. The iPad only plays YouTube videos in HD, so they were buffering like a fiend. I found out that the MTU on the router was set to 1,500, and YouTube doesn't like this. Dropped it to 1,460 and now 1080p YouTube videos play without stopping to buffer. Other than that, I haven't had any trouble with connecting ~20 devices (both wired & wireless) to this router.
I should note that I don't pull much content from my network over WiFi. I primarily get it from the web and my connection is 15/2 down/up. So I wouldn't really see a benefit for the 802.11 N speeds.
I have heard the Apple routers are excellent from a performance standpoint, but at close to double the cost of a new router with comparable features, I would rather spend the money on something else.

I use an Apple router w/ the default MTU, and 1080p on Youtube is for the most part fine. Then again, I'm getting 60/6...

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #365 of 471 Old 09-12-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
what about wireless adapters that would work well with these routers... not all are equal
post #366 of 471 Old 09-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Intel 6300

post #367 of 471 Old 09-12-2012, 10:52 PM

i've got the ASUS RT-N56U has been really good for the year I've owned it, and has some nice features...
post #368 of 471 Old 09-16-2012, 03:31 PM

Best high end router with newest and fastest AC standard and good antenna is thishttp://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-Gigabit-R6300/dp/B0081H8TRA/?tag=vglnk-c439-20] IMHO
post #369 of 471 Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 PM

The ASUS RT-N56U is excellent, but may God help you if you ever need to contact ASUS for tech support. It's basically a sham operation designed to disconnect your phone call the moment they feel your case is going to take more than 60 seconds to resolve. Delinquent people.
post #370 of 471 Old 09-19-2012, 01:02 PM

Has anyone tried the Western Digital "My Net N900 Central" router yet? Very impressive specs!
post #371 of 471 Old 09-19-2012, 04:44 PM

As a few other posters have mentioned, I wouldn't spend big money on a wireless router right now. Unless your application just demands dual band right now, I'd find a cheap wireless N router to tide me over until 802.11AC routers hit the shelves next spring. If you have to have a really fast wireless router for streaming HD video, then spend the money on a Draft AC router and adapters for your gear.
post #372 of 471 Old 10-04-2012, 05:08 PM

MOCA is Multimedia over coaxial, not motorola
post #373 of 471 Old 10-04-2012, 05:09 PM

wrong thread nevermind
post #374 of 471 Old 10-06-2012, 11:16 AM

OK, the way I see it here is what you should consider when selecting a router for your home network. You need to ask yourself 5 simple questions, they are as follows. First, do you have any sort of apple products on your network that you wish to backup to a USB hard drive attached to your router? Do you need qos/portforwarding/dns granularity that can be manually set or do you host your own website on a domain that you own, and/or, do you have more than one router on which you have setup more than one subnet for devices for compatibility's sake? Ca you define and explain what each of the functions described in previous question, also can you explain the difference between openwrt, dd-wrt, and wrt54n? Can you tell me how many "streams" of both 2.4 mhz and 5mhz the wireless card supports, if so does the wireless card on any of your devices support speeds over 300mps on either spectrum? Can you, if necessary use your network if one of your devices becomes bricked, or if a device becomes bricked, do you know how to chain-load router firmware using a serial or jtag console via the command line?
If any of these questions sound like latin when you read them, or if this is your first piece of networking hardware (or are you replacing a router more than 5 years old), then you will be happiest with the most expensive apple networking hardware you can afford or rationalize to your significant other. Yes, there is better/more bleeding edge hardware out there, but all in all, if you can, do yourself a favor, buy apple networking stuff if you can afford it. I too was skeptical, but alas, they are the most frequently updated, convenient, and stable networking equipment on the consumer market today. I know, I know, router (x) is faster/more configurable/cheaper, but chances are the apple routers will save you time, frustration, and money (when you have to buy another router "cuz yours doesnt do 'x'"). Plus, chances are, in terms of performance, apples will support all but the most bleeding edge networking protocols (most of which are buggy or have shoddy support from most "stock" networking hardware on computers.
post #375 of 471 Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by posimosh View Post

OK, the way I see it here is what you should consider when selecting a router for your home network. You need to ask yourself 5 simple questions, they are as follows. First, do you have any sort of apple products on your network that you wish to backup to a USB hard drive attached to your router? Do you need qos/portforwarding/dns granularity that can be manually set or do you host your own website on a domain that you own, and/or, do you have more than one router on which you have setup more than one subnet for devices for compatibility's sake? Ca you define and explain what each of the functions described in previous question, also can you explain the difference between openwrt, dd-wrt, and wrt54n? Can you tell me how many "streams" of both 2.4 mhz and 5mhz the wireless card supports, if so does the wireless card on any of your devices support speeds over 300mps on either spectrum? Can you, if necessary use your network if one of your devices becomes bricked, or if a device becomes bricked, do you know how to chain-load router firmware using a serial or jtag console via the command line?
If any of these questions sound like latin when you read them, or if this is your first piece of networking hardware (or are you replacing a router more than 5 years old), then you will be happiest with the most expensive apple networking hardware you can afford or rationalize to your significant other. Yes, there is better/more bleeding edge hardware out there, but all in all, if you can, do yourself a favor, buy apple networking stuff if you can afford it. I too was skeptical, but alas, they are the most frequently updated, convenient, and stable networking equipment on the consumer market today. I know, I know, router (x) is faster/more configurable/cheaper, but chances are the apple routers will save you time, frustration, and money (when you have to buy another router "cuz yours doesnt do 'x'"). Plus, chances are, in terms of performance, apples will support all but the most bleeding edge networking protocols (most of which are buggy or have shoddy support from most "stock" networking hardware on computers.

I do understand everything you said. I do prefer to stay away from the command line though since I own Apple hardware. I also agree with what you have to say. I've got an Apple Airport Extreme router and am very happy with it. I went through quite a few routers before I got this one probably 4 years ago. I haven't had a problem with it since then. I've easily got over thirty devices on my home network between desktops, laptops, VM's, phones, cameras, and printers. I backup my 3 Mac's with Time Machine to hard drives attached to it, and I also shared a printer through it. I can stream full bit rate blu-ray rips to my laptop. I've assigned quite a few static IP addresses, and set up port forwarding to them. It's handled everything I've thrown at it without missing a beat. The only reason I would consider replacing it would be when the new protocols start becoming popular and Apple decides to update their routers. Even then I doubt I really would need to, I just like playing with new toys.
post #376 of 471 Old 10-18-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

My RT-N66U is out for delivery today. Pretty excited! cool.gif

+1. I ordered the same. I have a couple dual band N devices, but no AC devices, so spending the extra $50 on the Asus RT-AC66U doesn't make sense for my application. I'm running 4 wifi cameras, 4 laptops/netbooks, Home Powerline networked cameras, Xbox, TV, printer, android phones, tablet, & a new desktop machine I built for myself connected to a dual band N wireless bridge. My Linksys WRT54G started dropping devices after a few years, so I replaced it with a MediaLink router, but it's not keeping up well, and periodically causes my cameras to go into repeated reboot loops. I also have had connection drops with my laptop at the far end of the house from the router, so going with a cheap replacement has not worked out so well. I might flash it with dd-wrt to see if that helps with functionality, but it will most likely become an access point or bridge if I find a need for one, or I'll just keep it as a spare.
post #377 of 471 Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprbst View Post

+1. I ordered the same. I have a couple dual band N devices, but no AC devices, so spending the extra $50 on the Asus RT-AC66U doesn't make sense for my application. I'm running 4 wifi cameras, 4 laptops/netbooks, Home Powerline networked cameras, Xbox, TV, printer, android phones, tablet, & a new desktop machine I built for myself connected to a dual band N wireless bridge. My Linksys WRT54G started dropping devices after a few years, so I replaced it with a MediaLink router, but it's not keeping up well, and periodically causes my cameras to go into repeated reboot loops. I also have had connection drops with my laptop at the far end of the house from the router, so going with a cheap replacement has not worked out so well. I might flash it with dd-wrt to see if that helps with functionality, but it will most likely become an access point or bridge if I find a need for one, or I'll just keep it as a spare.

Good deal. I still like mine. It is WAY faster than my 2003 vintage D-Link. cool.gif

I had the same thoughts about the AC. I figure i'll wait until year 2022 to get an AC router biggrin.gif
post #378 of 471 Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM

Liked: 11
my E4200 V1 is a boss. hasn't been turned off since christmas when i got it. I can stream from my "server" upstairs without any hiccups.
post #379 of 471 Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Finally tried the Cisco E4200V2. Didn't work. Going back for a refund.
Those folloiwng this thread would know a couple week ago I bought both the E4200V2 and a Netgear WNDR4000, both factory refurbished. The Netgear took less than a half hour to set up and has been working great. I intended to keep both, but finally got around to trying out the Cisco to make sure it worked before my 30 days were up. It didn't. First tried to set it up manually as I usually do, and could easily set up and get working my wired and wireless LAN, but nothing I could figure out could get it to connect to the internet through my Verizon modem.
So I reset the factory defaults and then tried setting it up with their included "Cisco Connect" software. Again, the LAN worked fine, but no internet connection. And of course calling their tech support in Mumbai or wherever it is was of absolutely no help at all.
And there's nothing wrong with the modem or its connection. It worked right before I unplugged the Netgear, and as soon as I plugged the Netgear back it, it connected right back up. (Which of course I told the tech as she wanted me to go in and start changing modem settings. Uh, no, that's not the problem, and I'm not about to create a new problem when I have a perfectly nicely working router sitting right here waiting to be plugged back in and turned on.)
So, they're sending me an RMA and I'm sending it back to Cisco from whence it came. Disappointing, though.
Thinking of ordering another refurbed WNDR4000. For $69, it's hard to beat.

Any updates on living with for a while??

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #380 of 471 Old 01-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I purchased an Amped Wireless SR-10000 last summer to expand my wireless network range to other parts of the house (including second floor). Initially, although it worked well, there were intermittent problems when it would stop working and I would need to unplug/plug to restore functionality. In addition, it didn't support bonjour discovery, so made it difficult to print to my 2 printers that were on the primary network (I only use Mac computers); both of these problems were reported to Amped and they provided an updated firmware for the device (mid-November) which has solved both of these problems, so I can now recommend it. Its been running, with new firmware, since then and has had no drops and I can access my bonjour printers.

I realize that this thread is about wireless routers rather than repeaters/extenders but think that Amped should be considered for either.
post #381 of 471 Old 02-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Liked: 13
I have an Amped Wireless R20000G and it's awesome. I am able to stream videos pretty easily from 100 some feet away in HD and on SD about 200 some feet away. I walked around my neighborhood testing it and people thought I was crazy or trying to pick up guys... LOL

I also had the AP20000G access point and it was awesome as well: http://remixedcat.blogspot.com/2012/11/amped-wireless-ap20000g-full-review.html is a review I did on it and the coverage is the same on both. I'll be reviewing the R20000G very shortly to give you an even better idea.
post #382 of 471 Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 AM

I bought a ASUS RT-N66U few weeks ago and I have to say that it is excellent!!!
I stream HD videos without any problem, even 2-3 at the same time to the same computer.
post #383 of 471 Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM

I've read thru a few pages...but I have a question. From time to time I have to unplug power/count to 10/replug my router so some of my equipment will connect. My rounter is a Cisco E2000. Do routers have a limit on "hits" from clients then needs a re-boot ?
post #384 of 471 Old 02-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
No it just means it's a bad router. This used to be so common that I've seen jokes on prime time tv about it, but you don't have to put up with it... get a new router. My old linksys wrt54g used to do that too.

I also recently got the asus rt-n66u and I love it. Took all of 5 minutes to set up and haven't touched it since, the way it should be.
post #385 of 471 Old 02-09-2013, 03:19 AM

Thank you sievers.My E2000 is a refurbed I got from Amazon around 1.5 yrs ago.
post #386 of 471 Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 AM
post #387 of 471 Old 02-09-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I have a $60 gift card to tiger direct... and I need a new router.

Advice ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #388 of 471 Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM

I just ordered a Asus rt-n66u from Amazon. I can't see paying the extra for the rt-AC66U just to have the newer USB upgrade. My printer is in my bedroom & is wifi, but I do plan on getting a harddrive at some time, but alot of research on my part about that.
I do have a question about the dual bands. How do you know what "client" you have & what band its using ? (Do I need to post this question elsewhere, if so, where ? Thanks )
post #389 of 471 Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM

Have you seen the new medialink wireless n router? It has over 4000 reviews on Amazon! That's an insane amount of reviews for any wireless router I'm sure. smile.gif
post #390 of 471 Old 02-10-2013, 11:18 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneypoo69 View Post

I just ordered a Asus rt-n66u from Amazon. I can't see paying the extra for the rt-AC66U just to have the newer USB upgrade. My printer is in my bedroom & is wifi, but I do plan on getting a harddrive at some time, but alot of research on my part about that.
I do have a question about the dual bands. How do you know what "client" you have & what band its using ? (Do I need to post this question elsewhere, if so, where ? Thanks )

Should be under your system status under "connected clients" or go to your "LAN Settings" and then there should be "associated clients" or something like that.,
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Apple Airport Extreme Base Station Simultaneous Dual Band Mc340ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page