Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Actually, even with Fios TV, I believe there are multiple ways to have it configured, using your own router instead of the Actiontec, or using the Actiontec rounter in bridge mode connecting to your own router.
There's a ton of stuff written about these approaches on the internet. I've been reading it in preparation for switching to Fios internet myself.

The problem is that the set top box pulls the guide data using MOCA (Motorola Over CoAxial cable) so you need the Actiontec somewhere in the network unless you have another MOCA capable router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 07:46 AM

Here is something for you no one brought up for Zon2020.... Instead of all these junk home routers, how about a "real" router. The commercial kind. I have many POE, wireless (Apple AND PC types), but I also use wired and wireless SIP/VOIP devices, and I have 2 DSL lines. AND.... I want total control over firewall rules and a lot more. Problem was only $5000+ Cisco and HPs came close but not perfect. It took a year but I found Zyxel which I rarely heard of. I got a USG100 for about $350 which does way more than a $5000 routers, and has.... SIP ALG that works! That means no NAT issues for SIP (if you don't know what that means be glad). The USG100 allows the 2 DSLs to be used at the same time and back each other up. And with SIP ALG the phone system (Freeswitch on a Mac Mini) even switches when one DSL goes down. It took 2 years to find the Zyxel. They make a whole range of products but the USG goes from a low end 20 and 50 (1 WAN) to models that handle 7 WANs. Cisco and HP cost $1000 option for extra WANs. Tech support is excellent and the manuals blow everyone away (you can download them free).

I don't use the wireless since I prefer to put that in a different location and want more options. I use an Airport Extreme bridged to the USG100. BTW, there are some Apple bashers here that didn't provide any useful info, I don't post comments on anything I don't/didn't at one time own. I have high end requirements and the only bullet proof consumer router I have had is the Extreme. I am sure others work fine but I like the idea of setting and forgetting for years which never happened with the other cheepos made from $5 of parts. BTW, I have Macs, Win and Linux using it, and when friends come over and use my wifi they have all kinds of devices, they all work perfect with the AE.

Caution: The USGs are real routers meaning you should be somewhat technical and know what ports, gateways, rules, are so you can set them up. This is the best router for the money anywhere. But... If all you can handle is plug it in and adding your credential, this is not for you.
post #93 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker View Post

The problem is that the set top box pulls the guide data using MOCA (Motorola Over CoAxial cable) so you need the Actiontec somewhere in the network unless you have another MOCA capable router.

You need the Actiontec for the TV guide data, but I don't think it needs to be part of your intenet chain.

See as an example of options THIS
post #94 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgavsf View Post

Here is something for you no one brought up for Zon2020.... Instead of all these junk home routers, how about a "real" router. The commercial kind. I have many POE, wireless (Apple AND PC types), but I also use wired and wireless SIP/VOIP devices, and I have 2 DSL lines. AND.... I want total control over firewall rules and a lot more. Problem was only $5000+ Cisco and HPs came close but not perfect. It took a year but I found Zyxel which I rarely heard of. I got a USG100 for about $350 which does way more than a $5000 routers, and has.... SIP ALG that works! That means no NAT issues for SIP (if you don't know what that means be glad). The USG100 allows the 2 DSLs to be used at the same time and back each other up. And with SIP ALG the phone system (Freeswitch on a Mac Mini) even switches when one DSL goes down. It took 2 years to find the Zyxel. They make a whole range of products but the USG goes from a low end 20 and 50 (1 WAN) to models that handle 7 WANs. Cisco and HP cost $1000 option for extra WANs. Tech support is excellent and the manuals blow everyone away (you can download them free).
I don't use the wireless since I prefer to put that in a different location and want more options. I use an Airport Extreme bridged to the USG100. BTW, there are some Apple bashers here that didn't provide any useful info, I don't post comments on anything I don't/didn't at one time own. I have high end requirements and the only bullet proof consumer router I have had is the Extreme. I am sure others work fine but I like the idea of setting and forgetting for years which never happened with the other cheepos made from $5 of parts. BTW, I have Macs, Win and Linux using it, and when friends come over and use my wifi they have all kinds of devices, they all work perfect with the AE.
Caution: The USGs are real routers meaning you should be somewhat technical and know what ports, gateways, rules, are so you can set them up. This is the best router for the money anywhere. But... If all you can handle is plug it in and adding your credential, this is not for you.

I'm familiar with those, and have considered (and am still considering) getting either a USG50 or the Sonic Wall TZ200. Not sure why it would take two years to find them; they're pretty readily available. I have a Zyxel 8 port switch sitting here in a box that I haven't used yet.

But if I was buying a security appliance like that, though, I would do it because I want router-level anti-virus and intrusion protection, and that would require another $200-300/yr for a security subscription, and I'm not sure it's worth it for a home. Like you, I wouldn't buy the wireless version. I'd connect the Zyxel or Sonic Wall to the modem, then connect that to a gigabit switch for the wired parts of my LAN, and hang a WAP off the switch for wireless connections. And the e4200V2 would serve as the WAP in that layout.

By the way, you can get a USG100 for $304 at Amazon and the USG50 is $185. The USG50 is also dual WAN, and other than having fewer conncurrent sessions, fewer VPN tunnels and one less LAN port (none of which matters to me at home) I think it does everything the 100 does (the 20 is a more basic consumer model). But again, its the annual subscription cost, not the hardware cost, that is the real issue.
post #95 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 08:47 AM

I use mostly Apple products (iMac, Apple TV, etc) and am using a Cisco RVS4000 small business router with an Airport Express hanging off of it. The router sits in the utility room and I have ethernet to the living room to hardwire in the Airport Express. Airport Express looks acceptable in public and is in a good spot for whole house wireless range, but I still have a robust router behind it.
I tried going with the Airport Extreme and ended up returning it due to the lack of management features. I find the Airport Utility to be very constraining. I have kids and want the advanced features to do website filtering or just to kick them off the internet easily. I would note that you could get the E4200 plus and Airport Express for about the same price as an Airport Extreme. Double your wifi footprint or just have the Express to play music. smile.gif
post #96 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

I'm familiar with those, and have considered (and am still considering) getting either a USG50 or the Sonic Wall TZ200. Not sure why it would take two years to find them; they're pretty readily available. I have a Zyxel 8 port switch sitting here in a box that I haven't used yet.
But if I was buying a security appliance like that, though, I would do it because I want router-level anti-virus and intrusion protection, and that would require another $200-300/yr for a security subscription, and I'm not sure it's worth it for a home. Like you, I wouldn't buy the wireless version. I'd connect the Zyxel or Sonic Wall to the modem, then connect that to a gigabit switch for the wired parts of my LAN, and hang a WAP off the switch for wireless connections. And the e4200V2 would serve as the WAP in that layout.
By the way, you can get a USG100 for $304 at Amazon and the USG50 is $185. The USG50 is also dual WAN, and other than having fewer conncurrent sessions, fewer VPN tunnels and one less LAN port (none of which matters to me at home) I think it does everything the 100 does (the 20 is a more basic consumer model). But again, its the annual subscription cost, not the hardware cost, that is the real issue.

Yes I know the Amazon price for the last few days, it was more when I got it on Amazon and I will probably buy another backup. It took two years because A: I didn't find Zyxel when I did my searches for what I needed, and more importantly B: I actually studied many router manuals before I bought (the USG100 was over 700 pages!). I also looked closely at the SonicWall but the Zyxel did a lot more for the money and... was way more powerful in terms of configuration. I especially like the object oriented configuration a lot. Once you get used to it, it saves a ton of time. I don't need the anti-virus stuff and don't pay any annual fee for those options. The big deal for me is SIP ALG! If you know SIP you will find PBX people usually hate it because the routers that support it almost always have issues. The Zyxel SIP ALG has been perfect and for me that was a huge bonus that solved all my SIP NAT and DSL rollover problems. Also, forgot to mention the fantastic VPN support. I have site to site but it also connects to many VPN systems and with the latest firmware they added iPhone/iPad VPN and IPV6.

Another thing, try to find a SonicWall with multiple WAN support at the price of a USG100.
post #97 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunol View Post

I use mostly Apple products (iMac, Apple TV, etc) and am using a Cisco RVS4000 small business router with an Airport Express hanging off of it. The router sits in the utility room and I have ethernet to the living room to hardwire in the Airport Express. Airport Express looks acceptable in public and is in a good spot for whole house wireless range, but I still have a robust router behind it.
I tried going with the Airport Extreme and ended up returning it due to the lack of management features. I find the Airport Utility to be very constraining. I have kids and want the advanced features to do website filtering or just to kick them off the internet easily. I would note that you could get the E4200 plus and Airport Express for about the same price as an Airport Extreme. Double your wifi footprint or just have the Express to play music. smile.gif

FYI. I had the RVS4000 for 2 years and it was full of problems. It had to go due to messing up SIP traffic when I went VOIP.
post #98 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:

FYI. I had the RVS4000 for 2 years and it was full of problems. It had to go due to messing up SIP traffic when I went VOIP.

I'm VOIP and no problems. Maybe there was a firmware upgrade or something...
post #99 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 AM

Firmware was upgraded. You may be VOIP but I have several SIP devices (SPA962s, iPhone and iPad using Bria, SIP on computers), 6 VOIP accounts, and do things like bridge unanswered calls to multiple cellphones at the same time, send voicemail emails, etc. Replacing the RVS4000 (which does not have SIP ALG) solved a ton of issues.
post #100 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I probably would not have an Airport Extreme (actually a first generation Time Capsule) if I didn't have a Mac but I am still exceptionally happy with the performance of this 4-year old router. It was originally not even used wirelessly until I got my iPhone--then an Airport Express for music, then an ATV and a Roku for the theater room. All work flawlessly with excellent bandwidth--close to what I get with my one ethernet connection to my Mac. It is a bit pricy and I'm sure others work as well, but I'm happy with it and will probably to the Airport Extreme route again--but probably not a Time Capsule next time.smile.gif

Bob

post #101 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

I probably would not have an Airport Extreme (actually a first generation Time Capsule) if I didn't have a Mac but I am still exceptionally happy with the performance of this 4-year old router. It was originally not even used wirelessly until I got my iPhone--then an Airport Express for music, then an ATV and a Roku for the theater room. All work flawlessly with excellent bandwidth--close to what I get with my one ethernet connection to my Mac. It is a bit pricy and I'm sure others work as well, but I'm happy with it and will probably to the Airport Extreme route again--but probably not a Time Capsule next time.smile.gif

Apple upgraded the AE twice in 4 years and I can tell you the range and power are about triple what they were 4 years ago (I had them all). Also more radio options.
post #102 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Apple will always be much higher value than ALL others in one category: RESALE VALUE
If you wan't reliability now and you'd like 802.11AC, but you don't want to wait for them you can get basically any apple router and resale it on craigslist for +80% of what you paid. Linksys, Asus, et al, will fetch decent resale on ebay/amazon but never what apple will fetch on craigslist plus you don't pay commission. I've moved a 2011 airport express in 3 hours on craigslist for $80 for my coworker who upgraded to a time capsule on 5/11/2012.
I've also successfully sold my 16GB out-of-contract 3gs for $250 this year after paying $200 back in 2009. I like other manufacturers products, but it's easy to catch the apple train for a little while and get your money back. I've never been able to do that with Asus, Dell, Acer, etc

It's cool that they have such high resale. However, when I am done with a piece of electronic equipment it is either broken, or I have converted to some other use. i.e. take an old router and convert to a wireless print server... And who wants to buy a non-functional piece of electronic equipment. What is the resale on dead Airport and dead Linksys? Probably the same $0.00

But, by following your logic, if you bought your router for $100, and then sold it for $80, then your cost to use it was $20, right? If I bought a router for $20 and junked it. My cost to use it is the same $20, right? However, if you bought Airport for $200, and sold it for $80, your cost to use it is $120, while mine is still $20. Does Airport provide 6x the functionality, features, ect?

By the way, the new batch of Actiontec routers from Verizon FiOS have USB 3.0 ports! The cost? $0, just call and ask for the new router. It works just fine for my needs.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #103 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunol View Post

I'm VOIP and no problems. Maybe there was a firmware upgrade or something...

I've had a RSV4000 for years. It's a great piece of hardware. That's actually what just died and needs replacing or I never would have started this thread.

I don't use VOIP by the way.
post #104 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Let me preface my comments with the fact I consult with Netgear on audio video related networking issues. As a result I have access to most of Netgear consumer related hardware. For the past 3 years I have used the Netgear 3700, 3800, 4500 and the new R6300 ac router.

My experience with the Netgear products has been very positive. I used the 3700 for over a year with no issues that I could blame on the router. NETGEAR enhanced the product with the release if the 3800 which is an enhanced feature packed media based router that launched Netgear's new UI which is much improved over any other that I have see or used.

Shortly after the release of he 3800 Netgear introduced the WNDR4500 which is an entirely new hardware platform. This router utilizes higher power rf amplifiers then any NETGEAR router before it in a consumer package. It also uses the new UI introduced in the 3800. It carried over some of the more popular features like media sharing, USB drive support and printer sharing. But its claim to fame is range. It really boosted the 2.4ghz range over the 3700/3800 generation routers.

The recently introduced R6300/r6200 builds on the the 4500 platform. It uses similar chipsets from the same vendors that was used in the 4500. It has the same feature set of the 4500 with the addition of the AC standard on the 5ghz band resulting in a 1ghz potential with AC clients. One of the immediate benefits though is an increased 5ghz range from the 6300. It matches the 2.4ghz range in my experience. This was never the case with any other router I have used including the 4500.

The 6300 is also been rock solid. I have not had to power cycle it since I set it up. Now I admit I have had it for only for a few months but I have never used a new router this reliable. I also like the new form factor of this router. It really screams quality and the unbxing experience is excellent.

If you can afford the $199 I think it is great. F you want to save some money the r6200 should be available soon which s the 2 radio version of the 6300. The 6300 has 3 radios per band. In AC mode each radio has capacity of up to 450mbs so 3 ties 450 is a 1300mbs throughput for the 6300 versus 2 times 450 for the 6200.

I admit I am biased but from a user perspective the R6300 is the best router I ave ever used.

Oh another plus with Netgear is Genie which s a great network management tool that works pc and mobile devices plus for IOS. Users provides Apple AIRPRINT support with any connected printer.

Bob Silver
NETGEAR AV Consultant.
post #105 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Let me preface my comments with the fact I consult with Netgear on audio video related networking issues. As a result I have access to most of Netgear consumer related hardware. For the past 3 years I have used the Netgear 3700, 3800, 4500 and the new R6300 ac router.
My experience with the Netgear products has been very positive. I used the 3700 for over a year with no issues that I could blame on the router. NETGEAR enhanced the product with the release if the 3800 which is an enhanced feature packed media based router that launched Netgear's new UI which is much improved over any other that I have see or used.
Shortly after the release of he 3800 Netgear introduced the WNDR4500 which is an entirely new hardware platform. This router utilizes higher power rf amplifiers then any NETGEAR router before it in a consumer package. It also uses the new UI introduced in the 3800. It carried over some of the more popular features like media sharing, USB drive support and printer sharing. But its claim to fame is range. It really boosted the 2.4ghz range over the 3700/3800 generation routers.
The recently introduced R6300/r6200 builds on the the 4500 platform. It uses similar chipsets from the same vendors that was used in the 4500. It has the same feature set of the 4500 with the addition of the AC standard on the 5ghz band resulting in a 1ghz potential with AC clients. One of the immediate benefits though is an increased 5ghz range from the 6300. It matches the 2.4ghz range in my experience. This was never the case with any other router I have used including the 4500.
The 6300 is also been rock solid. I have not had to power cycle it since I set it up. Now I admit I have had it for only for a few months but I have never used a new router this reliable. I also like the new form factor of this router. It really screams quality and the unbxing experience is excellent.
If you can afford the $199 I think it is great. F you want to save some money the r6200 should be available soon which s the 2 radio version of the 6300. The 6300 has 3 radios per band. In AC mode each radio has capacity of up to 450mbs so 3 ties 450 is a 1300mbs throughput for the 6300 versus 2 times 450 for the 6200.
I admit I am biased but from a user perspective the R6300 is the best router I ave ever used.
Oh another plus with Netgear is Genie which s a great network management tool that works pc and mobile devices plus for IOS. Users provides Apple AIRPRINT support with any connected printer.
Bob Silver
NETGEAR AV Consultant.

Where does the WNDR4000 fit into that progression?
post #106 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

By the way, the new batch of Actiontec routers from Verizon FiOS have USB 3.0 ports! The cost? $0, just call and ask for the new router. It works just fine for my needs.

Which model and firmware revision you have? I just got a new one but it was firmware E. It did not have Gigabit ports.
post #107 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

The OP said price didn't matter. Honestly, I've used Airport Extreme's for probably the past 6 or 7 years, and they are extremely reliable. For something I use for hours every day, I don't think $180 is asking much if it gives me a reliable no-fuss connection. I remember having a linksys router before that and having to reset it all the time. I don't think I've ever had to reset an Airport Extreme. The only think I don't like about them is you have to manage them via an application rather than a simple webpage.
That being said, don't expect them to do miracles for high bit rate HD video. No wireless N router will help you much there. For general use though, they're fantastic.

I have to echo this post. I also have been using the Apple Extreme for five (5) years with absolutely no issues. Before the Apple I used a Netgear that always gave me problems. If I have to replace my Apple Extreme router I will get another one and not even look elsewhere.
post #108 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

I picked up the Netgear WNDR4000 on Saturday. An IT professional recommended it. I replaced my DSL connection with cable internet, so I couldn't use my old AT&T modem/router. The netgear is working great, and it was pretty easy to setup. Plus it's sexy looking.smile.gif Anybody have any particular thoughts on this model?
DRC72
WOW!!! No thoughts on this model? Come on there must be somebody out there.
post #109 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Liked: 12
I'm using a Linksys E1500 that's doing a great job for me and cost way back of $100... I have a two story house with my router in my media room way at one end. I couldn't hit the router with my xbox or any of the three Bluray players upstairs with my old router but this little spaceship looking thing is the bomb... Strong signal even at the furthest point in my house.

Panasonic P65ZT60 display, Marantz SR7008 AV receiver, Paradigm Studio CC-490 v.5 center, Studio 60 v.5 fronts, Studio 20 v.5 rear/surround, Polk Audio OWM3 high and wides, HSU ULS-15 Dual Drive, Oppo BDP-103, DirecTV HR24 Receiver w/1TB drive, XBox 360, Logitech Harmony One
post #110 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanzero View Post

I have to echo this post. I also have been using the Apple Extreme for five (5) years with absolutely no issues. Before the Apple I used a Netgear that always gave me problems. If I have to replace my Apple Extreme router I will get another one and not even look elsewhere.

Well, except that about half the people in this very thread that have used the Apple Extreme didn't share your opinion (or echo).

Like I said it looks like all of the routers have their fans and opponents. I am not sure this thread is going to really lead to anything other than utter confusion and disagreement on all vendors.
post #111 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The best wireless router are those that support Tomato.

Some like dds-wrt.

I use the E3000.
TeddyGVT likes this.
post #112 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargus777 View Post

If I hook an external harddrive up to the USB port on some of these fancy routers, will I be able to access the files on it anywhere I travel, or just within my network.
I know the Netgear WNDR3800 does through ReadyShare. I haven't used the service so can't comment. NAS performance and access control for a connected USB drive on the router is pretty poor and I abandoned using that function. I was only getting transfer rates of 5-6MB/s from the external drive compared to 30-40MB/s connected via USB2. My HTPC is on most of the time so I use that as a NAS now.

post #113 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

The best wireless router are those that support Tomato.

Some like dds-wrt.

I use the E3000.

I'd just like to echo chong67's recommendation, for those of you that are open to loading a custom firmware on a router (it is a bit more involved...but easier than you think), you can't go wrong with Tomato.

I personally run the Toastman build on an refurb'd Linksys E3000 that I picked up for $60. There simply isn't a better device for less than $100. It's dual-band and the firmware enables a tremendous amount of functionality (QoS, VPN, bandwidth management, etc.).

This guide gives a general overview of getting it up and running, but let me know if anyone is interested and has questions.
post #114 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 PM

The Airport Extreme is fine, if expensive, if you don't want anything but basic connectivity. The ease of use and stability are probably why many people like it. However, the OP is coming from an RSV4000 and I would be surprised if he would be happy with the Airport Extreme.
The Airport is Extreme(ly) limiting in what you can do with it. And I mean basic stuff like providing a wired LAN table, website filtering or not having to restart it every time you make a change. This is not the more advanced stuff in the RSV4000 like QoS, VLANs and VPN, but really basic router capabilities that I assumed would be in the Extreme and are just not there.
If you have an Apple-centric home and just want 'a network', I am sure it is fine. But if you want to actually manage your network, it is a non-starter. Not trying to pick on Apple, but it is simply not there. It's like a display without a gamma adjustment. Some people just 'want it to work' and don't really care. Others would never think of buying an HDTV they couldn't calibrate. Both views are fine. Personally, I would pick a Tomato over an Apple. wink.gif
post #115 of 471 Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I've used many wireless routers over the years.... Billion, Netgear, D-Link, Netcomm, Belkin etc. The only one that I have never had a problem with and never had to reset except when wanting to flash to a newer firmware to see if I could eek out a bit more speed from my ADSL2+ connection are the Draytek models.

They aren't cheap but they have been solid for me. Less than 10 second boot times are also nice so that I can test out the many variants of firmware the company provide and not have to wait too long after flashing to get the router web interface back up and running.

My sister uses a Billion 7800G and she has had that on since moving into her home without ever having to shut it down.

When it comes to testing out these routers, we always find conflicting information because most of the times we use them in different ways. If you use torrents/emule etc. and set up your clients to hundreds of simultaneous connections, you are more likely to require power downs vs. someone who simply sets up their router and uses it to browse and download from websites, ftp sites or usenet for example.

The more ram and the more powerful the CPU is in the router, the greater the chance that it can handle the higher workloads.
post #116 of 471 Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM

Foe the people using or suggesting Cisco routers may want to red this.It is on extremetech.com

Cisco’s cloud vision: Mandatory, monetized, and killed at their discretion July 2, 2012 at 10:01 am

This may have already been mentioned.
post #117 of 471 Old 07-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
i was a big Linksys fan. Had many. Still have one as spare for travelling if needed.

Then I got a DIR-655 which was highly rated. Died on me one day after 18 months of use. I was going to get another 655 to replace it, but updated reviews talked great things about the WNDR3700. I was not a netgear fan, but got it anyways.

The WNDR3700 has been the best router I have had thus far.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #118 of 471 Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I've tried 5 different routers and the max wireless speed i could get (3 feet from the router) was about 60% of land line speed.

I finally switched to the Apple router and get 99% next to the router and 90% to 99% anywhere in the house ( 3 stories).
post #119 of 471 Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From the Cisco website:

Cisco prides itself on offering the best customer experiences, and privacy and security are at the core of everything we do. That goes for Cisco Connect Cloud too. When a customer signs up for a Cisco Connect Cloud account, personal information is used only to establish an account in order to provide customer support. Consistent with Cisco’s practices, Cisco Connect Cloud does not actively track, collect or store personal info or usage data for any other purposes, nor is it transmitted to third parties.

Not sure who's telling the truth.
post #120 of 471 Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

I run Tomato personally at the moment on a E4200 (v1) with 2 VLANs and use a Unifi AP for wireless. Tomato is very nice. I also agree with sentiments that Airports are reliable, but way too limited for my tastes and the rebooting for like every setting is infuriating. Also no DDNS, which I rely on.

Do have an Airport Extreme for the parent's house, though and it never needs touched. I especially like how it has a simple green light when it's working, amber when there's a problem. Makes it super easy for diagnosing what the problem is over the phone.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Apple Airport Extreme Base Station Simultaneous Dual Band Mc340ll A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page