Poor performance when playing movies after new drive and clean install of Windows 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my new PC and I hope that you can help me.

I recently had a hardware problem with my PC where I was getting constant BSOD's and the culprit was either the drive or the operating that was corrupt because of RAM which had failed 2 months ago.

Microcenter originally built the PC last October and I was getting excellent performace until the RAM Failed which caused constant BSODS and corrupted some of my files. I originally had a Crucial M4 SSD Drive in my PC and 5 Hitachi Storage drives.

I had Micro center take the SSD out and install a new 500 WD Caviar Black Drive since I don't feel that comfortable working inside a PC . The storage drives were removed also.

I took home my PC and reinstalled Windows 7 64 bit myself. I then installed the motherboard and video card drivers online. I then ran Windows update and installed all the updates. I had my PC running for a few days and no BSODS.

I physically installed the 5 Hitachi Drives myself as well. Unfortunately I'm getting poor performance when playing movies on all drives.

When playing movie and switching to a specific frame, the whole picture gets distorted and messed up and sometimes the movies are unwatchable if there's a lot of movement. I never had this before. I used to get very good performance on all my drives and had no issues playing my videos.

The distortion occurs when using Splash Pro Ex with Hardware acceleration enabled. When it's disabled there no distortion. I always had this setting enabled before and never had any problems. Why would this setting cause an issue?
I'm getting better performance on my 3-4 year old PC than on my new one.

Also under "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" it has 2 of my Hitachi drives listed and I can eject them. I never had any drives listed there before since they aren't external drives.

It also has Marvell config ATA Device listed there which I can eject. Is something not setup or installed correctly? My PC is thinking that two of my drives are listed as a USB Device.

Here's my current PC's Secs:

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 36 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68 DELUXE (LGA1155) 60 °C
Graphics
LED Cinema (1920x1200@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (ATI AIB) 43 °C
Hard Drives
2930GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 (SATA) 38 °C
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5002AALX-00J37A0 (SATA) 34 °C
2930GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 ATA Device (SATA) 38 °C
2930GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS723030ALA640 ATA Device (SATA) 40 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38

Note: I'm not using a Raid setup, only JBOD.

Is there some driver that I might have missed? There aren't any alert symbols in Device Manager. I'm not sure what to do next. I never updated Bios, should I?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 11:55 PM

Have you tried a different display driver? Tried using a different player such as mpc-hc with DXVA enabled and experiencing the same issue?
post #3 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It almost sounds like the data isn't streaming from the drives fast enough to provide smooth video. I had a HD go bad and it would spin up, play for about 30 seconds, then the video would buffer and eventually fail. Is the problem on all videos on different drives? You might copy a video file to another drive and test that.

Just trying to brainstorm a bit with you. Good luck.

I'm confused too.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 400
One thing to check for is chassis vibration. e.g. maybe a fan is rattling or the hard drives aren't fastened down. If the drives vibrate, it makes it much harder for the heads to seek to the right tracks. This drastically reduces throughput.

Selden
post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Liked: 14
Check the PSU voltage levels.

Remove all but one video content HDD and play a file from that drive.

Try a different video card.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-16-2012, 04:43 AM

Might want to check what version of the ATI drivers you are using. While differing results may occur the general theme from ATI card owners is:

ATI Catalyst - use 11.4
AHCI/Chipset - you can use latest e.g. 12.6

You can find the 11.4 drivers on the AMD website. If you are uninstalling the existing video card drivers then ensure you do a thorough job. Google for how to do this as I'd suggest looking at using CCleaner etc.

I had stuttering issues when playing blu-ray isos and finally tracked it down to being due to the ATI drivers. Switching back to 11.4 solved it for me however every build is different.

The other area where issues are found is with Refresh Rates. For now check what fps the movie is you are watching e.g. 23.976fps and manually set the display to be the appropriate refresh rate (e.g. 23hz). You can then prove/disprove whether the issue is refresh rates or not.

hth

Alex
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page