Media Center to be free with Win 8 Upgrade and a low cost upgrade - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 109 Old 07-07-2012, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 360
"For a while" = Mainstream support until January, 2015. Extended support until January, 2020.
See http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?c2=14019

For definitions of Mainstream and Extended, see http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

Selden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

This is essentially the problem. Windows 8 will be good for someone who moves information between a pc, a tablet and a phone. I have run into the problem of not being able to syncronize my outlook calendar on my pc and my phone. But that is a problem I can live with better than a clunky interface, the time it take to get my computer setup on a new interface, functionality that does not transfer and stuff that gets lost in the move..
In theory it should work, but then only if Microsoft's Office Division has been talking to their phone division who has been talking to their OS division so that they can all communicate with each other or we'll end up with Windows Phone still not being able to sync with 64-bit Outlook.

post #93 of 109 Old 07-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Yep Yep!

bump
post #94 of 109 Old 07-07-2012, 05:22 PM

HERE IS an INTERESTING perspective! I was weirded out by the loss of the "Start Button" like MOANY others I have read/followed.

When I saw this ... I was SHOCKED by how simple the "technological background" really was.

Don't get mje wrong ... I am totatally pissed that Microsoft had the brass to tell "ME" that I did NOT need something I use EVERY DAY !!!

NOW ... MAYBE ... NOT so much ...

http://www.zdnet.com/why-windows-8-means-goodbye-start-orb-hello-windows-key-7000000338/
post #95 of 109 Old 07-07-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Windows 8 runs a lot smoother than Win 7 did on my 5 year old htpc. Chrome used to bring my system to it's knees for a good 2 minutes after starting with a lot tabs re-loading, in Windows 8 I can start clicking around the tabs without any slowdown or spinning mouse circles even though my cpu is still at 100%. I installed Classic Shell to get the old start menu back and pretty much ignore metro.
post #96 of 109 Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

"For a while" = Mainstream support until January, 2015. Extended support until January, 2020.
See http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?c2=14019
For definitions of Mainstream and Extended, see http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy

So that means we will have full support on 7 until the next version of windows is out? or close anyway. Microsoft has mentioned that they want to stay on the 3 year release schedule for windows.
post #97 of 109 Old 07-08-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Yep, and it will be usable at least through extended support. I'll grab one upgrade to try it out, but the main home systems are likely going ot be on 7 for a long time.
post #98 of 109 Old 07-12-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

However, the devil is in the details and I am still reading through the problems others have reported with Windows 8 before booting from the disk. And I want to do a complete backup first and create a new system image and a new Windows 7 boot disk so I can undo the damage if I need to go back. I am still not convinced that Windows 8 is a good solution for a desktop computer set up as both a HTPC and a workstation. It appears to be a solution for a telephone or an ipad clone.

If all you want to do is test Win8, there's no need to wipe out your current O/S, or even to make the system dual-boot. Instead, use a "windows-2-go" configuration: install Win8 on and boot from an external USB drive. It can be either a thumdrive or a hard drive, so long as it's 32GB or larger. For details, see http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/03/ordering-windows-to-go-how-to-create-a-bootable-windows-8-usb-thumb-drive/

I have been following the "Ordering Windows to Go" instructions and ran into a problem with step 2. The Windows 8 preview I downloaded and put on a DVD does not have a file called install.wim. There is a source directory and there is a file called boot.wim but no file in the source directory called install.wim.

Can anyone give me further directions? The instuctions require me to copy the install.wim file to C:\winonastick
post #99 of 109 Old 07-12-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

The iso that I downloaded is named Windows8-ReleasePreview-64bit-English.iso with the size 3.27 GB (3,515,703,296 bytes)
Using 7zip, I found install.wim in the sources directory.
Below is a screengrab showing the contents of sources, with a red box around the entry for install.wim.

Selden
post #100 of 109 Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded the 32 bit version of Windows 8. It appears as a virtual clone drive file of a little over 2MB. I have searched the DVD and my entire C: drive and the download directory and could not find a file called install.wim

There are three install files: install application, installeventres.dll and install prep application
post #101 of 109 Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I have install.wim in the sources folder of my 32-bit version as well. Perhaps you need to change your folder viewing options to show system files.
post #102 of 109 Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Good suggestion but I seem to be set up to show hidden files:
folder options.JPG 51k .JPG file
post #103 of 109 Old 07-12-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

It's those bottom two check boxes that are the culprits. Uncheck "Hide extensions..." and "Hide protected operating system files...".
post #104 of 109 Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I unchecked the boxes but still no install.wim.

Perhaps Windows 8 preview no longer inclludes install.wim. I could download the preview again and see if I get install.wim.
post #105 of 109 Old 07-12-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded it twice today and it's in there. I even built an entire windows-to-go drive since your last post and am running it as we speak. Are you getting it directly from microsoft?

Now that I've tried it, I can see why M$ is selling it for $40. I thought Vista was bad, but this is far worse. It's incredibly frustrating to use, especially with a remote from 10' away. It might be ok for a tablet or phone, but not for a serious PC user. You can ultimately drill drown to something like a Win 7 desktop. But they've managed to bury all tasks and applications so that it takes quite a bit of time and effort to find anything. Although Media Center works fine, I see no improvement whatsoever. So I'll be sticking with Win 7 as long as possible.
post #106 of 109 Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded the Windows 8 preview and now I do have the install.wim file. However, I cannot copy it to C:\winonastick. I keep getting this message:247

I understand your issues with windows 8, but I am having problems with 7MC working corrrectly with both my monitor and plasma TV.
post #107 of 109 Old 07-13-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I've never seen that error before. It might be due to file or folder protections.

I used 7zip (a very sophisticated file archiving program available for free at http://www.7-zip.org/download.html ) to open the .ISO file and then dragged install.wim from the 7zip window to the destination folder with no errors. It took a few minutes since it had to create an intermediate scratch file. I also used 7zip to extract imagex.exe from its distribution kit to that same directory: there's really no need to install the entire AIK if you're only planning to use imagex to create the win2go disk. I did both using a non-privileged user account, putting both files in a folder within the Downloads directory.

Selden
post #108 of 109 Old 07-14-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I give up. I cannot copy install.wim and i have wasted enough time on Windows 8 which is an operaing system many do not like.
post #109 of 109 Old 07-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

At only $40, I think it's a good idea to jump on the deal and keep the upgrade laying around, even if you aren't going to use it for quite a while.

I've still got 2 copies of Win 7 laying around for 2 HTPCs that I've never had reason to upgrade from XP on. They were part of a family pack so they were only $43 each. I figured I'd have to change at some point and wasn't sure if Microsoft would still allow upgrades to XP after 7. Actually surpised that they are. Must be getting desperate knowing their cash cow is getting long in the tooth.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page