Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just read this on the windows blog

Quote:
We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade.

I also noticed it was picked up by engadget
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Hmm.. $40 to replace something that just works already.. hmm.

post #3 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I may have missed this, but has MS ever said whether they are giving Media Center a facelift? If it's the EXACT same program, I don't think I will be upgrading, but I assumed that Media Center would get some cosmetic changes, like the changes from Vista MC to Win7 MC. Curious as to whether they've ever said definitively that they were changing it at all.
post #4 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I notice the discount pricing runs through to 31st Jauary 2013. Best strategy would be to hold off and see how others go when it is released, then buy it in January if all reports are good.

post #5 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

No, $40 to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. That's certainly better than spending $200 on a new OS, for those people that want to upgrade to the latest and greatest.
post #6 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesawi View Post

I notice the discount pricing runs through to 31st Jauary 2013. Best strategy would be to hold off and see how others go when it is released, then buy it in January if all reports are good.

At only $40, I think it's a good idea to jump on the deal and keep the upgrade laying around, even if you aren't going to use it for quite a while.
post #7 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post

No, $40 to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro. That's certainly better than spending $200 on a new OS, for those people that want to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

NO !! $ 40 to replace something that already works as Sammy already said .

Latest and greatest ? Really ? I gotta hear this one .
post #8 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flocko View Post

The same could be said for people happy with XP, sticking with it inside of upgrading to Vista or 7. If you are going to upgrade, $40 is the cheapest you're going to find, period.

Latest and greatest is a common term when describing a new operating system. Don't get your panties in a wad.
post #9 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Nobody has there panties in a wad. You made a claim and I was curious as to the facts of "latest and greatest" . If that insults you than I am sorry
post #10 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
40 bucks is cheap. I'll probably end up doing it just to mess around with it on my laptop. I'm interested in seeing how the interface works for HTPC. IMO this is the way to do business, give loyal customers a discount rather than paying out the ass for a new OS.

I'm interested in seeing how all the windows devices are integrated. Particularly for HTPC, Windows phone, Surface, and eventually the Xbox720.
post #11 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'll definitely buy one license at least to play around with. One thing I had wondered is that the Metro/Start Screen interface is in many ways a 10' GUI. Given how many of us use something like MediaBrowser for our movies or music anyway, it might provide a better interface for an HTPC anyway. Of course that depends on having some type of software available to watch and record TV.
post #12 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Why would someone upgrade from something that works. As the old adage goes "If it is not broke, do not fix it." Upgrading to 8, is like trying to fit a Elephant into a VW Beetle. It is not going to happen for the majority. Those that do upgrade to 8, will be a minority, and those that decide later to go to 8, will be those asking how to get the OEM to send them a copy of 7 for low or no cost.
post #13 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The same could be said for people happy with XP, sticking with it inside of upgrading to Vista or 7. If you are going to upgrade, $40 is the cheapest you're going to find, period.

Latest and greatest is a common term when describing a new operating system. Don't get your panties in a wad.
Umm no. Latest and greatest is what people said, when they went from VHS to DVD. Latest & greatest, is when people went from the old tube sets to HD sets, when they became cost affordable. Latest and greatest does not fit the moniker of Windows 8. Face it, Microsoft is dying and trying to grasp at straws to keep the profits rolling in.
post #14 of 109 Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Why would someone upgrade from something that works. As the old adage goes "If it is not broke, do not fix it." Upgrading to 8, is like trying to fit a Elephant into a VW Beetle. It is not going to happen for the majority. Those that do upgrade to 8, will be a minority, and those that decide later to go to 8, will be those asking how to get the OEM to send them a copy of 7 for low or no cost.

+1 ... I do not have the slightest good answer as to why someone would want to take there Pc / htpc and turn it into an app crap factory . I love my droid phone . It looks like what I expect my phone should look like . Why would i want my PC to look like my phone ?

Quote:

Umm no. Latest and greatest is what people said, when they went from VHS to DVD. Latest & greatest, is when people went from the old tube sets to HD sets, when they became cost affordable. Latest and greatest does not fit the moniker of Windows 8. Face it, Microsoft is dying and trying to grasp at straws to keep the profits rolling in.

Another + 1 !

I am faced with this very issue at work right now with a down turn economy and a company grasping to " be like some one else" instead of being true and stead fast to the basic principals that got them to success in the first place .
post #15 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 03:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I would pick this up, for the laptop for a few reasons...

Pro will have Remote Desktop. Which I can then log into the Server and have more control over it. I can also log into the Media Center and do work on it while Media Center is running say Live TV (I think that's possible...). There is no advantage of putting it on the HTPC if Media Center has not changed one bit. I still have hope it has changed some, there are many things in other front ends that could be incorporated into Media Center.

I hardly use the Internet TV side unless I feel like watching Love Boat or Brady Bunch. Otherwise all Revision 3 content is on XBMC and the rest of it, I barely watch from the former Zune store.

A. Thomas -
GSN: djfourmoney
'03 SRT-4 12.74@106 in the 1/4
PSN - DJFourMoney
post #16 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:

What world do you live on? Microsoft still controls over 90% of the desktop OS market share. Not to mention they are dominating the console market as well. Microsoft is as strong as they've ever been and are about to be serious contenders in the tablet market with a tablet that can actually run a full fledged program and not just a dumbed down app.
post #17 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

If you don't want to upgrade stop trolling and move on.

Sounds like a great deal to me, I'm upgrading both my home HTPC and Laptop.
post #18 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
It might be worth a try for $40 considering they're being "generous" enough to throw in Media Center for free (really big of them considering we already have it for free with Windows 7:rolleyes:). The only reason I upgraded to Windows 7 from XP was for the ability to use the Ceton tuner, and Microsoft is eventually going to take that away from us. I realize we're pretty much a niche crowd when it comes to using Media Center, but you've gotta love Microsoft for dangling the carrot and then yanking it back. So much for customer loyalty.tongue.gif
post #19 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

Quote:

What world do you live on? Microsoft still controls over 90% of the desktop OS market share. Not to mention they are dominating the console market as well. Microsoft is as strong as they've ever been and are about to be serious contenders in the tablet market with a tablet that can actually run a full fledged program and not just a dumbed down app.
The only reason that they are in 90% of the desktop market, is because PC's are cheap, and businesses want cheap. As for the tablet market, they are not going to be a serious contender, only the hardware manufacturers will be. And even at that, Windows 8 would be the last thing I would want to run on a tablet, if doing serious work.

Microsoft is right now grasping at straws to stay alive, because they are starting to see the light at the tunnel, that unless they come out with something to keep them alive, they are pretty much dying at this point. They hit the nexus ten years ago, and only thing that has kept them alive at this point is the Xbox-360 platform. Other than that, businesses right now are looking at other alternatives, namely Linux to move into server and desktop platforms. Especially government entities.

The biggest consumer of desktop workstations is Government and the medical field. Without them, Microsoft would be below 50% of the market share.
post #20 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 07:04 AM

Liked: 150
Quote:

You never buy a new car while your old car still runs, right? You are still using a tube TV, right? You do not replace something until it stops working, right?

If the new OS is better, $40 to replace it is a good price. If it is worse, free is too costly. The problem comes into when it is the same...then it becomes personal preference.
post #21 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The majority of corporations use Windows that is a huge market. MS is far from fading away, Windows 7 is just now being rolled out by many IT departments.
Windows 8 is mostly a consumer OS they have not and will not push this to the enterprise, maybe Windows 9.
post #22 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 AM

This was just posted today http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-takes-6-2-billion-charge-slows-internet-013849530--sector.html As for 7 being rolled out, our state has no chance of rolling out 7 at this time, because right now XP works for them. They just now rolled over to Exchange 2010, which was a nightmare yesterday, because it was not set up properly when they brought it online over the weekend. They finally got it stable at around 10:00 yesterday morning.
post #23 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

The only reason that they are in 90% of the desktop market, is because PC's are cheap, and businesses want cheap. As for the tablet market, they are not going to be a serious contender, only the hardware manufacturers will be. And even at that, Windows 8 would be the last thing I would want to run on a tablet, if doing serious work.
Microsoft is right now grasping at straws to stay alive, because they are starting to see the light at the tunnel, that unless they come out with something to keep them alive, they are pretty much dying at this point. They hit the nexus ten years ago, and only thing that has kept them alive at this point is the Xbox-360 platform. Other than that, businesses right now are looking at other alternatives, namely Linux to move into server and desktop platforms. Especially government entities.
The biggest consumer of desktop workstations is Government and the medical field. Without them, Microsoft would be below 50% of the market share.

I want some of what you're smoking
JackDiesel14 likes this.
post #24 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemist1117 View Post

I want some of what you're smoking

+1

I've never understood the persistent irrational hatred of Microsoft and Intel, unless it's just an "I'm a rebel and hate the establishment" game.

But it does regularly produce some high comedy.

I notice how in these "MS is dying" diatribes no one ever seems to mention how the whole world operates on Office.
post #25 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My main interest in Windows 8 has been that their promotional material states that it works better with two displays than Windows 7. I do have inconveniences with 7MC knowing the plasma is on, I want media center playing full screen on the plasma and I want media center to follow the remote control commands when I change from media center to live TV for example.

I ran the Windows Upgrade Assistant which said all but 8 applicationns were "compatible" and most of the incompatible programs could be upgraded or reinstalled.

I burned a Windows 8 preview .iso to a disc.

However, the devil is in the details and I am still reading through the problems others have reported with Windows 8 before booting from the disk. And I want to do a complete backup first and create a new system image and a new Windows 7 boot disk so I can undo the damage if I need to go back. I am still not convinced that Windows 8 is a good solution for a desktop computer set up as both a HTPC and a workstation. It appears to be a solution for a telephone or an ipad clone.
post #26 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This was just posted today http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-takes-6-2-billion-charge-slows-internet-013849530--sector.html As for 7 being rolled out, our state has no chance of rolling out 7 at this time, because right now XP works for them. They just now rolled over to Exchange 2010, which was a nightmare yesterday, because it was not set up properly when they brought it online over the weekend. They finally got it stable at around 10:00 yesterday morning.

Most businesses are now installing Windows 7 on new machines. Why would a IT department ever do a complete OS rollover of all users.
post #27 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:

You're a riot. The government ain't ever getting away from Windows. I can't even imagine some of those people trying to figure out Linux. Windows is cheap and everyone is familiar with it so it's easy to use. Not to mention there is a vast software market built around Windows as an OS.

How the surface does is all dependent on its pricing. They may say screw the low cost tablet market and lets aim for the higher end crowd, like the ultrabook. Rather than compete with Apples iPad just go a step above them. As for Windows 8 it was designed for tablets so itd be a great OS for using them despite your hating.

And even though you are completely wrong about them dying in your worst case scenario when exactly has 50% market share in a multi platform market become a bad thing?
post #28 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artslinger View Post

Most businesses are now installing Windows 7 on new machines. Why would a IT department ever do a complete OS rollover of all users.
Tell that to my IT department. We're scheduled for a complete overhaul from XP to Win 7 by the end of the year. Currently, all of our PCs are leased for a period of three years. Many of them came pre-installed with either Vista or Win 7 and were all rolled back to XP before being presented to the employee (they all still have the Vista or Win 7 product code sticker on them). I believe future PC replacements will be purchased rather than leased because it's now cheaper to do so. The new PCs will all come with Win 7 but will likely be reconfigured before we get them. All existing PCs that are still under lease will be upgraded to Win 7. This is the same scenario we went through when our company finally embraced XP many years ago.
post #29 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A LOT of businesses and Govt agencies (if not most) ONLY do rollovers en mass because they have as a philosophy of maintaining a standard configuration and desktop to ease "management" (i.e. control) and support.

Some do it by keeping XP until all or most desktops are W7 capable. But I've seen some businesses (such as some medium sized law firms) do a total swapout of hardware along with an OS and software upgrade (ie., give everyone new desktops and/or latptops loaded with a new OS, new version of Office, new versions of other firmwide applications). Normally preceded by months of training sessions on the new applications.

It's why XP (and a couple legacy versions of Office) is still going strong. It's not because there's anything wrong with W7, it's because it's a very disruptive and expensive undertaking to upgrade an entire organization.
post #30 of 109 Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The majority of corporations use Windows that is a huge market. MS is far from fading away, Windows 7 is just now being rolled out by many IT departments.
Windows 8 is mostly a consumer OS they have not and will not push this to the enterprise, maybe Windows 9.

+1. I work for a very large IT firm and not until earlier this year made the switch from Vista to managed Win 7. It will be quite a while before Win 8 is adopted, particular if the changes will negatively impact workplace productivity, or are perceived more aimed at the consumer market. The user messing around on his touch screen tablet playing games and checking email can be a very different user from the person who uses a PC to do work.

That said, this Win 8 upgrade does provide me with a dilemma. My high powered video editing rig currently is running Win 7 Home Premium. I would like to add more ram, but Home Premium only sees up to 16GB. My option is either to use the current available Win 7 Anytime Upgrade to Professional. Or I can wait until October for this Win 8 deal - assuming Win 8 will not also have a memory size restriction, and that it will play nice with Adobe Creative Studio 5. $65 now to upgrading to Win 7 Pro, or $40 this Fall upgrading to Win 8. Decisions.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page