Charter + Hauppague + new HTPC = CRASH any ideas?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-03-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For 3 weeks now I've been struggling with getting a new factory-built-and configured HTPC to work with Haupauge 1250 tunerS, and Charter cable. For an hour or so, HTPC Tech support has remotely rechecked / configured the HTPC with SSD and 2 TB HD, and says it is fine. He's installed Hauppague 1250's in other builds with no problem. So maybe the issue is with the "kind" of Charter cable I have.

10 years ago, for some reason Charter installed "hard line" cable directly into my home, not coax, though it's coax around the house and into the TV and HTPC.. t. My 2012 Panasonic LED TV tunes in 17 HD stations and lots of analog stations. With WMC and the Hauppauge 1250 , I only get analog stations. With Happag Win TV installed, I tune ALL 17 HD & analog stations

When using WMC, HTPC blue-screen crashes erratically every, 3 hours, 9 minutes, 12 hours, often overnight.. With the Happague software COMPLETELY removed, I get NO crashes-- and no TV. Happague sent me a different style number 1250 which improved analog pic quality and crashed a little less at first. I've reinstalled the Happag drivers and software 3 times now.

Other variables, I'm using Logitech wireless Mouse & Keyboard. And WMC selects Charter Analog and Digital Cable in setup. Then I get NO more channels when I do the SCAN, and I've done it 4 times. But again WINTV gets lots of channels. I did at one point figure out how to add a diigital channel to WMC, but that may also have been because WINTV was loaded, which MAY be contributing to the crashing.

HTPC tech support is suggesting a different company tuner card, or GIVE UP, that there's something unusually quirky about my situation ?????. Honestly, they and the Happag have been great. I'm just thinking one of you out there might have a different view or experience of something that's creating the crashes.. I'm going to try Happag tech support one more time, but I'd appreciate your ideas, and what to press them about. I did try selecting "antennae cable" in WMC setup and let the tuner card just "find " the channels the same way the Panasonic TV did, but WMC didn't "find" any channels. Or is it something with the Charter hard line, basic service??

Again, the computer runs crashLESS when WMC is off and there are no scheduled recordings. Ideas??? If you can help fix this it'll be big kudo's from HTPC royalty(the manufacturer), 'cause they and Happag seem to be stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-03-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Have you run memtest86+?

The most common cause of blue screens is bad RAM or other hardware.

I don't understand "hard line" cable that is not coax. What sort of cabling is this?

Even though these cable channels are in the clear, you may need to reset PlayReady:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconDust 
If you need to reset PlayReady, you can do the below to speed up the process (no uninstall of the PlayReady software). This just resets the data to the default state (read: empty).

1. Close Media Center
2. Open CMD prompt as Admin (click on the start manu, type cmd, right click on the exe and select "Start as admin"
3. Type “net stop ehrecvr”
4. Type “cd %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady”
5. Type “del *.hds”
6. Type “rmdir /s Cache”
7. Type “cd %programdata%\Microsoft\ehome”
8. Type “del *.hds”
9. Type “rmdir /s Cache”
10. Type “net start ehrecvr”
11. Launch Media Center
12. Go to Tasks->Settings->TV->Update PlayReady

NOTE:
I have done the above several times. I would not use a batch file unless you place the proper sleep/waits in the code as the services need time to stop and that can vary. I ended up just executing the commands one at a time by placing a PAUSE in the batch file after each command so I could ensure they executed completely before moving on.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12216

post #3 of 10 Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hard line is the large diameter cable that's on the telephone poles, then sizes down to coax to string to your house. I have hard line all the way into the house. Most of the time when I've had Windows Task Mgr Perfomance window open, CPU usage is between 5% and 20% occasionally spiking to 40%, though I haven't had it in front of me when the computer crashed.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

still crashing, bump
post #5 of 10 Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

It could be that your signal is too strong and you need a signal attenuator?

Did you reset PlayReady?

Another thing to try is to set you video resolution to Full Screen rather than Auto in Control Panel.

Also, try taking the tuner card out and uninstalling WinTV. That program is almost worthless anyhow.

Uninstall the tuner driver in devices.

Reboot and see how things go for a while.

If it is stable, try putting the tuner back in and reinstalling the driver only by downloading the latest one directly from Hauppauge's website.

Then scan for channels only in WMC.

Report back.

post #6 of 10 Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'd 2nd the idea of losing WinTV - it's crap. Do the reset described above - it can't hurt. Also, you may try deleting ALL OF YOUR STATIONS in the WMC TV/add/delete channels. WMC will not allow you to add a new station if it is currently associated with a particular TV-Guide entry until you disassociate the two. CLEARING out every station it knows should accomplish this. You should be able to rescan the TV stations after that.

As another option you could do a temporary installation of MediaPortal. It works with the 1250 and would see it as two tuners: one analog and one digital. When you scan the digital you'd need to say QAM and when you scan the analog pick cable. This would be another means to use your tuner beside WMC.

You never mentioned the OS - are you Win 7, Vista, 32 or 64-bit?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Windows 7 Homeprof 64 bit, 8 ram, SSD and TB hard drive. Thanks for the suggestions. This morning I sent 7 minidump files to Happag for their evaluation, and directed the inquiry and complaint through the sales department. That seemed to get their attention, as I mentioned that I'd be posting any results here. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can figure all that out..... relative newbie here.

I've used Happag's HWCLEAR to uninstall the drivers, then I've reinstalled and NOT installed WinTV and it's still crashing.
Hmmmm, so I can scan for TV stations before I choose Charter analog and charter digital. When I pretended it was an antennae - not cable- scanning for stations came up empty., as has every other scan I've done after first selecting Charter analog and charter digital. Again WinTV found lots of digital stations.

I was advised by the puter mfg not to reset Playready. After removing tuner card and drivers before, the puter was TOTALLY STABLE, Rock o' Gibralter.

How do I test if my signal is TOO strong?
post #8 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Run this then install the updated driver by clicking on the Windows Driver tab.

post #9 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

get a charter tech over to check your signals. Ive had issues many times over the 15 years ive had charter. hell ive had it stable for years at a time at my house and then suddenly my internet goes haywire. idk cant hurt. even a minor tweak can help fix issues. I had it at this apartment just this past year, ran fine about 3 months then no more internet, buddy works for charter says i bet you need a filter, charter guy comes and sure enough needs filter.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I was having BSOD's just last month when going from a 2250 to a HDHR Prime. Resetting PlayReady cleared it right up. That said, you aren't going from Clear QAM to CableCard with previous recordings on your HDD either.

BTW, I was posting stuff for the 2250. Ignore that and install the new stuff here.

NM. It's the same driver..

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page