post #31 of 36 Old 07-15-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Hmm... according to Anandtech, the Agility performs very comparably to the Vertex:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4346/ocz-agility-3-240gb-review/2
Vertex uses synchronous memory, and the Agility uses asynchronous memory. The difference is the performance with non-compressible data.
Even this guy says you won't be able to tell the difference in real-world performance:
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/beginners-guide/ssd-components-and-make-up-an-ssd-primer/3/
I'm not doubting you, but in the real-world, there shouldn't be much difference. The theoretical maximums that the Vertex promises are not even close to being delivered.
Now, the entire point I was trying to make is that he's going to spend the next 6 months saying to himself "Man, this SSD is frickin' fast compared to my spinner!" Then he will have a frame of reference to determine if a more capable SSD is worth it.
Quote:

Hmm... according to Anandtech, the Agility performs very comparably to the Vertex:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4346/ocz-agility-3-240gb-review/2
Vertex uses synchronous memory, and the Agility uses asynchronous memory. The difference is the performance with non-compressible data.
Even this guy says you won't be able to tell the difference in real-world performance:
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/beginners-guide/ssd-components-and-make-up-an-ssd-primer/3/
I'm not doubting you, but in the real-world, there shouldn't be much difference. The theoretical maximums that the Vertex promises are not even close to being delivered.
Now, the entire point I was trying to make is that he's going to spend the next 6 months saying to himself "Man, this SSD is frickin' fast compared to my spinner!" Then he will have a frame of reference to determine if a more capable SSD is worth it.

"Equipped with asynchronous NAND, the Agility 3's max performance is limited to 50MB/s per channel compared to 200MB/s per channel in the Vertex 3. The Vertex 3 doesn't come close to saturating its per-channel bandwidth so there's a chance that this change won't make much of a difference. To further tilt things in the Agility 3's favor, remember SandForce's controller throws away around 40% of all of your data thanks to its real time compression/deduplication algorithms - further reducing the NAND bandwidth requirements. When a Vertex 3 pushes 500MB/s that's not actual speed to NAND, it's just how fast the SF controller is completing its tasks."

This pretty much sums it up. The controllers are identical so the difference in speed is because of the NAND used.

A vertex3 is indeed faster than an Agility in real world applications. Even the MFG suggested specs show obvious differences.

The articles your linking are showing very large sized SSD's. like 240GB. Keep in mind the larger the SSD the faster the SSD and with large SSD's you are limiting the effect of the NAND used. Because your writing to more NAND at the same time so the speed of each NAND is not a factor as much as the controller ability to deliver the date to be written or read.

So if your looking for a 240GB SSD and the Agility it quite a bit cheaper than a Vertex3, and your not using it for movies, MP3 and such- Then the agility is a tempting.

BUT I HAVE SEEN MOST PEOPLE BUYING THE 120GB AND 60GB VALUE SMALL SIZED SSD's. In these applications- a VERTEX3 is quite a bit faster than an AGILITY because with fewer memory chips to spread the info over the speed as which they write becomes a big factor.

I don't mean to argue because I believe real world to a normal user it would not matter- But your using articles and data from 240GB drives to suggest 60GB will have the same results. You are dead wrong on this.

Smaller SSD's are slower for sure- and the NAND used becomes a limiting factor. Larger SSD the controller is the limiting factor. Since Agility and Vertex use the same controllers it makes sense the big drives have less difference than the small drives do.

Now to throw the biggest monkey wrench in the whole thing- A 120GB vertex3 sells for $69 or $79 on sale. I bought one for each price last month. Given that- it's hard to recommend the agility.

For the really small difference in cost the Vertex3 is not just the better performing option- it's the better value too. A 60GB agility for $39 might be a good deal I would grab for an ultra cheap boot SSD but any higher than that I might as well just get a $50 Vertex3 60GB or a $70/$80 120GB. The difference in price is so small I think the superior SSD with the superior performance and NAND is a better choice.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 07-15-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin View Post

Interesting article Puwaha...I think I might consider that Agility again.
Also thanks for the heads up on Windows 7. I will purchase a new copy.

You don't need a new copy of windows- You just need a valid registerable key for windows.

The costs for such is different for each.

You can actually download a copy of Windows - but you need a key to make it work legit.

Calling microsoft and buying a key is cheaper than buying a new copy FYI

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #33 of 36 Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

For the really small difference in cost the Vertex3 is not just the better performing option- it's the better value too.

Does the difference in speed really matter for a first time SSD buyer? I suggest it's not. Each person is entitled to their own opinions, though.

I say get what you can afford to get an understanding of what an SSD means to your usage pattern. For a simple boot disk, I'd get the cheapest I can find. I have a really cheap-o Samsung 64GB drive in my server (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147132) that "only" gets 220MB/s Read and 120MB/s write speeds... and it absolutely blazes!

By the way the Agility 3 is ranked as the top price/performance drive:

http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd.php?hdd=OCZ-AGILITY3
post #34 of 36 Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 230
post #35 of 36 Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

Does the difference in speed really matter for a first time SSD buyer? I suggest it's not. Each person is entitled to their own opinions, though.

I agree. I use 2 W7 Pro HTPCs with SSDs. One uses the Vertex 4 128GB and one uses an Agility 3 60GB, both for boot (C:) drives.

I don't spend all my days running benchmarks and checking stuff out. I say the same as Puwaha above. I paid $50 after rebate for the Agility 3, which is why it found a home in that build. I really don't see a costworthy performance increase in day to day use, and I really don't think the extra $20 would have been worth it for me.

In fact, I've said before and stand by the following: scrolling and menu navigation in mediabrowser is so RAM dependant that I really don't see noticeable performance gains there (which is what I'm doing 95% of the time)

Launching WMC the first time after boot, and booting altogether are nice and speedy with the Agility 3. If it weren't for the flood price offset on HDDs, I would have probably considered what I think should have been a $30-40 500GB drive for the boot disk partitioned for TV Recordings and skipped the Agility on my secondary HTPC
post #36 of 36 Old 07-16-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I say get what you can afford to get an understanding of what an SSD means to your usage pattern. For a simple boot disk, I'd get the cheapest I can find. I have a really cheap-o Samsung 64GB drive in my server (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147132) that "only" gets 220MB/s Read and 120MB/s write speeds... and it absolutely blazes!
By the way the Agility 3 is ranked as the top price/performance drive:
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd.php?hdd=OCZ-AGILITY3

No. A first time buyer of SSD would be thrilled with any model he or she buys.

My point was for $10 it's still worth it to get the better drive with better NAND inside.

I would not spend up $30 but $10 spread over the life expectancy of the SSD is a mere pennies a day... $10 makes sense to me.

No hate on the Agility3. I own one and use my server. It's fantastic.

I am suggesting that a difference of $20 more more leans in favor of the Agitlity3 and a difference less than $20 leans in favor of the Vertex3. That's just my value system and others may disagree.

If your on a super tight budget and the agility3 is cheaper nothing wrong with that.

The decision is not black and white so I would leave it up to each buyer.

I just thought the point was worth making for readers to consider the better drive. You can get Vertex3 on sale for very close to Agility3 prices all the time. $70 for a 120GB Vertex3 and $52 for a 60GB version. Hard to find agility much cheaper so I guess the real decision depends on the deal people find at the time of purchase.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page