Looking for a compact single USB 2 to wireless converter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I need a very compact solution to convert USB 2.0 to wireless. The only products that I can find is discontinued. If someone can find the below brand new or another one that could replace it, please let me know (not looking for multiport wireless USB device since they are too big).

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B0036VNZHA/ref=pd_bxgy_cps_img_c

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
How much space do you have?
Can you use an USB extension cable to bring the connection elsewhere?

Newegg has a bunch of these micro/nano USB adapters.
Check out the specs and reviews and see which one works best for you.
Though with this kind of design, the range will probably be limited.

The EDIMAX nano adapter has 480 reviews, seems popular as well as cheap; only 10 bucks.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I don't know how small you need, but I bought a couple refurbished Linksys/Cisco AE1000 300Mbps 802.11n Dual-Band Wireless LAN USB 2.0 Adapter w/Extension Cable from Amazon, and they still have them for only $13.99, and they really work great. They don't seem any bigger than the one in your linked picture. Cisco also has the AE 1200 for $16.99 and the AE 2500 for $19.99 refurbished on their website.

But if you want something really small, you might prefer something like the D-Link DWA-131 or Belkin F7D2102.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I really wish I had a way to explain this more clearly. I'm guessing you guys didn't actually see the link the first post.

I am looking for a USB 2.0 ---> Wireless CONVERTER, not USB 2.0 wireless dongle; which is already available everywhere.

These things dont really have a standard name. I think a less confusing name would USB wireless kit with transmitter and receiver.

I don't blame you guys for not know what this type of device is. They were never really that popular since they only work with a very limited range of products; hence lot of bad reviews.

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Sorry about that. I did misunderstand. Without looking, I wonder if there are also bluetooth devices that do what you're looking for?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Audioengine makes a wireless USB DAC that has a digital output, it would work, but it's fairly expensive.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I need something very small that even with a battery pack, the transmitter can fit in someone's pocket. I don't need it for audio.

When the Cables Unlimited Wireless USB Kit was still available at Amazon a month ago, I didn't think it was actually think it was the only commercial product in existence that's this small and priced at $50 that does this.

I guess if nobody knows of such a product, I will have to go hunting for the Cables Unlimited Wireless kit at smaller online stores. It's really too bad that Cables Unlimited went out of business. I was at least able to find the Win7 64 software/drivers for this in case I do find the product for sale online.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

I am looking for a USB 2.0 ---> Wireless CONVERTER, not USB 2.0 wireless dongle; which is already available everywhere.

Gotcha.
I did look at the link but simply added USB and Wireless to come up with Wireless USB adapter.
Have you checked ebay?
Sometimes these kind of products abound on ebay.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes, I check EBay. Unfortunately, without knowing exactly what product I'm looking for, it doesn't help much since this kind of a product doesn't have a category of its own. Typing in wireless USB brings up pretty much only usb wifi dongles. I was hoping someone had a similar need as me in the past. I die find one vendor that definitely has the item I posted in the first post. So, I ordered it. If I find something else that's beter its not too late to return it.

post #10 of 11 Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Are you looking for a wireless usb extender?
http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWH204KIT/

The receiver side looks quire small
post #11 of 11 Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes exactly. Except a compact one meant for a single device like the one in the original post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong Chia View Post

Are you looking for a wireless usb extender?
http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWH204KIT/
The receiver side looks quire small

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page