Has anyone had handshake or other problems with a Marantz SR6006 or Denon 3312CI AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thinking of buying one of them. As last year's model, there are some good buys and yet they have everything I would want, as far as I can tell.

My good ol' Sony STR-DA4400ES has never had a single hdcp or handshake issue with my HTPC, and I'd like to avoid such problems with a new one too. (so no Onkyos, thank you very much) But it's starting to act up and do some funky things, and so I was thinking of getting a new one and moving the Sony to another location.

Any other good alternative suggestions for equivalent models? (Yamahas, HKs, etc?)

I'll be reading the Amps, Receivers and Processors forum regarding these items, but was looking here specifically for problems integrating them with an HTPC.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
No problems with my AVR-2312ci. I use monoprice high speed hdmi cables.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 04:27 PM

Liked: 12
I had a Denon AVR-1611 hooked up to a Scientific Atlanta DVR & had intermittent connection problems where I would lose the video signal completely. Ever since I installed an HDMI Detective I haven't had a single problem with the DVR or the HTPC I replaced it with about a year ago.

My other HTPC is connected to an AVR-1911 & I would say about 25% of the time I have HDCP issues & the only solution is to reboot the HTPC. I just received my HDMI Detective for this setup today, so I'm hoping it fixes this one also.

I tried making a custom driver with Moninfo, different length HDMI cables, standing on one leg with one hand behind my back while turning on the receiver, TV, & HTPC on in the correct order timed within a millisecond of each other, but never got a consistent connection. I hated spending $85 (now $170 for 2) for the HDMI Detective. I can't imagine this thing costs more than $20 to manufacture, but it just works. I noticed in the reviews for the HDMI Detective there were a few people that had Denon receivers. Maybe the 2012 Denon receivers handle HDMI handshake issues better.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I use a $12 monoprice HDMI extender to solve early HDMI handshake issues that I had with my HTPC but that only occured when going to Live TV. I also reset PlayReady at that time too but never took the extender out of the circuit so I don't know if it is really doing anything anyhow. Also, having the display setting in your graphics card set to Auto rather than Full Screen can cause hiccups too. So doing these things have cleard up the handshake issues for me. It happened just last week when I installed a new GT 430 Graphics card and changing the display setting to Full Screen did the trick.

post #5 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Maybe I'll try a Yamaha instead.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

It is my understanding that these issues come about if you let it go to sleep where the EDID data is lost by the AVR. I don't think it is receiver brand specific. I never had a problem until using a cable card tuner and I knocked it down in short order and haven't had a problem since.

I really think that Audessy is superior audio processing than the Yamaha's have but don't quote me on it.

post #7 of 10 Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 827
I have a 3312 Denon and it works perfectly. Everytime.

In Contrast my Onkyo totally sucked bad and I replaced it for that very reason... HDMI handshake inconsistency.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 10 Old 07-07-2012, 04:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Maybe I'll try a Yamaha instead.

I didn't mean to talk you out of getting a Denon. Other than the handshake issues, both my Denons have been fantastic. If I was buying a receiver today I would probably get a Denon hoping that the handshake issues have been worked out & if not I would still be able to probably fix it with an HDMI Detective.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Thinking of buying one of them. As last year's model, there are some good buys and yet they have everything I would want, as far as I can tell.
My good ol' Sony STR-DA4400ES has never had a single hdcp or handshake issue with my HTPC, and I'd like to avoid such problems with a new one too. (so no Onkyos, thank you very much) But it's starting to act up and do some funky things, and so I was thinking of getting a new one and moving the Sony to another location.
Any other good alternative suggestions for equivalent models? (Yamahas, HKs, etc?)
I'll be reading the Amps, Receivers and Processors forum regarding these items, but was looking here specifically for problems integrating them with an HTPC.
Thanks.

What model specifically are you looking at?

Features you need?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 10 Old 07-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Couldn't be happier with my new SR6006. It was a definite upgrade to my Denon 2309CI. The only annoyance I have is that if I leave my HTPC on and switch source inputs, the receiver completely drops my HDMI audio on my HTPC upon return to the HTPC input (never happened with my Denon)...the video works fine, but audio is lost and Windows thinks that there is no longer an audio device connected anymore. Restarting the system restores full functionality again. This forces me to shutdown the HTPC when I am not absolutely using it. I've turned sleep/hibernate off, installed AV Guard, verified catalyst control center settings, latest drivers and receiver firmware etc, but nothing has worked. Anyone else experiencing this or know of how to fix it? This is my only annoyance with the Marantz so far. Thanks in advance....not trying to hijack.

ABS!NTH
PSN: ABS1NTH
XBL: ABSiNTH69
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page