Need help! 3TB drive previously installed with disk unlocker on machine not showing the remaining portion beyond 2TB. help ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Ok, so I think I was a bone head. But hoping someone can help me out.

I had a 3TB WD green installed in another machine. Instead of partitioning it properly I used the default and then unlocked it with 3TB disk unlocker utility. It basically created two drives, one 2TB and the other about 750GB of the remaining portion.

I liked it because I used the 2TB for media storage and the remaining for downloaded programs and stuff.

Well, I reinstalled my OS and now the drive shows as a 2TB (the data is all there) and then the remaining portion shows as UNALLOCATED.

I can't access the stuff there.

How do I get it back ?

Can I?

Or should I just transfer the data off the 2TB and format it properly as a single TB ??

NOTE: It's full of Blu Ray Rips. Then entire 2TB is full and copying will take a while.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Asus disk unlocker? Did you install it again on the new OS?
post #3 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
According to the User Manual, it states that the virtual drive created by the tool will be removed if the software is uninstalled (in your case, uninstalling Windows and re-installing). So you might have lost your data.

http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/Disk_Unlocker/Software/Disk_Unlocker_User_Guide.pdf
post #5 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

According to the User Manual, it states that the virtual drive created by the tool will be removed if the software is uninstalled (in your case, uninstalling Windows and re-installing). So you might have lost your data.
http://event.asus.com/mb/2010/Disk_Unlocker/Software/Disk_Unlocker_User_Guide.pdf

think I could reinstall to replicate it?

I mean the drive is the same so the data is still there. I just need to rebuild the process in which is shows... or reads.

-

post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Well didn`t you install that app, Disk Unlocker? From what i`ve read in the description, it`s kinda like a virtual drive mounter (like Virtual Clone Drive), it makes an image (virtual hard drive) and puts it on the left space on the disk. So you kinda need it to read the contents. Only issue that might pop-up is some configuration file that stores information about the image on that HDD that might have got deleted when you re-formatted Windows. I`m not sure how exactly it works (Only the software engineers at Asus would know), but that`s my best guess. Try installing it and see, maybe even contact Asus support on their forum or by email in case it does not work.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-07-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Well didn`t you install that app, Disk Unlocker? From what i`ve read in the description, it`s kinda like a virtual drive mounter (like Virtual Clone Drive), it makes an image (virtual hard drive) and puts it on the left space on the disk. So you kinda need it to read the contents. Only issue that might pop-up is some configuration file that stores information about the image on that HDD that might have got deleted when you re-formatted Windows. I`m not sure how exactly it works (Only the software engineers at Asus would know), but that`s my best guess. Try installing it and see, maybe even contact Asus support on their forum or by email in case it does not work.

Great advice!

Thank you for your thoughts.

-

post #8 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any way to make a 3TB contiguous partition? Now I have a 2048GB partition and 746GB unallocated space. This is a ST3000DL taken out of an external enclosure.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksc318 View Post

Any way to make a 3TB contiguous partition? Now I have a 2048GB partition and 746GB unallocated space. This is a ST3000DL taken out of an external enclosure.

I ran into same situation. Normally in Disk Management you right click the relevant partitions and select delete to delete the partitions, then create the single big partition (naturally this should be done on an empty drive as any data in these partions will be lost). However there was no 'delete' comand for me when I right clicked these partitions. I ended up doing the following:

1. Disk management to get the disk number of the disk.
2. Start ; In the search box type in cmd
3. In the results, right click cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"
4. diskpart
5. list disk
6. select disk "x" (where "x" is the number of the drive from step #1 above)
- you should see something like "disk x is now the selected disk"
7. list partition
- you should see a list of the partitions that are on this disk

At this point I deleted the partitions using that diskpart command and then went back into computer management to create the single big partition etc...
However, looking at a post in here, it looks like maybe a better way would be to use the diskpart's "clean" command.

List of diskpart commands here
post #10 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 08:12 PM

Thank you for the reply. I did find the way:
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/GoFlex-GoFlex-Desk-GoFlex-Pro/3TB-now-2TB-How-do-I-get-my-3TB-Back/td-p/86942

1. Start Computer management, Storage, Disk Management service in Administrative Tools.
2. Remove the partitions so that there are two unallocated space.
3. Right click on the drive in the list (left column) and select GPT.
4. Then format.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Yeah that was the way I tried for mine, except as mentioned the Disk Management could not delete the partitions, so I had to use DiskPart. I assumed you were facing the same situation, glad you weren't. smile.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 PM

Step 3 changing from MBR to GPT fixed it. Looks like 2TB (2048GB) is MBR's limit.
http://www.partitionguru.com/seo/MBR-or-GPT.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page