I have no clue how Assassin does it.. lol His guides are amazingly ever improving... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 07-07-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Due to the weddings (yes my wife insisted on two, one at the beach and one at home) I have had very limited time.

It's been about 2 months since I checked out Assassin guides, and I was amazed at the improvements you have made.

I really have no clue how you find the time energy or expertise to do this. They are really an asset.

At this point I have some clue about HTPC and computers, I have built a few and also set up a WHS2011 server.

And still - at a somewhat advanced level of understanding I find tremendous value in them.

Just want to mention it and say thanks. They have save me time today. The walk through on the SHARK007 was nice. I have done it a few times, but just check up it provided was wonderful.

Usually I just play around and waste and hour or two.... till I get it right. lol.
Sammy2 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Due to the weddings (yes my wife insisted on two, one at the beach and one at home) I have had very limited time.
It's been about 2 months since I checked out Assassin guides, and I was amazed at the improvements you have made.
I really have no clue how you find the time energy or expertise to do this. They are really an asset.
At this point I have some clue about HTPC and computers, I have built a few and also set up a WHS2011 server.
And still - at a somewhat advanced level of understanding I find tremendous value in them.
Just want to mention it and say thanks. They have save me time today. The walk through on the SHARK007 was nice. I have done it a few times, but just check up it provided was wonderful.
Usually I just play around and waste and hour or two.... till I get it right. lol.

Thanks man. I am glad you appreciate what I have created.

And you are correct --- I work on them all the time even with limited amounts of free time that I have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OH I AGREE!! HE IS THE BEST!!!! His guides are such an amazing deal!!!!! Only $20!!! I think you should all BUY NOW!!!
post #4 of 23 Old 07-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallpas View Post

OH I AGREE!! HE IS THE BEST!!!! His guides are such an amazing deal!!!!! Only $20!!! I think you should all BUY NOW!!!

I believe that is $ 25 .

Yep .... EVERYONE SHOULD BUY NOW !!!

Quote:

+ 10 and very nice of you to take time to post your appreciation . More folks should !

However , I don't want to start a war here(PLEASE , I am serious , no flames) but the "THANKS" only go so far and as far as I can tell they don't put any bacon on the table . Folks begging for free tickets to the guides or discounts to the guides is HUGELY counter productive to the members of the forum as well as most important , the OP of said guides . See , when we buy the guides AND donate on occasion this gives Assasin the ability and spurred desire to further the "cause" for all of us . This is not just for Assassin but for all of the Senior members that contribute day in and day out that have created there own terrific guides of there own . Pick your favorite one or maybe even two and please support them as you can . wink.gif

-Flocko
post #5 of 23 Old 07-07-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There is no reason to no ask for freebies...

I mean this is a forum and everyone should be able to ask for help and get it easy. I help with most posts anytime I can.

But reality is that even someone that spent 24/7 here for a couple months would not find as much value as the guides.

The intelligence in which they are laid out with pictures and such is just superior explanation and learning tool than someone who takes 5 seconds to post a reply on cellular phone.

Totally different things.

This coming from someone that has spent a good deal of time in this forum for a long time with thousands of posts... So I feel I am quite appropriate for making such a statement.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 23 Old 07-07-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I answer literally hundreds of PMs, e-mails and posts each and every week for free. Always have. Ask my wife as it drives her crazy.

post #7 of 23 Old 07-07-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I sense some sarcasm. But I am not enthused by it.

I took a brief scroll through your last three posts in your user profile to get an understanding of you.. and this is what I saw:

So your last three post are attacking him?

Seems like a lot of effor... yes? May I ask what the reason is for it ? Did he wrong you ?

oh btw...

I did not see any helpful posts in your replies either. And certainly nothing that demonstrates any expertise in HTPC's.

A browse through his posts (thousands more) would tell a different story than yours.

While I appreciate your right to voice an opinion and am sorry I can't give you much credit at all. You have done nothing to deserve it.

Happy trollings.

129156.jpeg
troll_bridge.jpg

-

post #8 of 23 Old 07-07-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Obviously someone thinks that writing 300 pages of guides (and updating them ) is something that you do in 5 minutes while having a beer....20$ (or 25, whatever) is an ok price for the time and effort put into them.

HTPC : AMD Zacate E350 with XBMC 10.00 + Aeon MQ
Storage : 6TB DLink NAS
post #9 of 23 Old 07-07-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Obviously someone thinks that writing 300 pages of guides (and updating them ) is something that you do in 5 minutes while having a beer....20$ (or 25, whatever) is an ok price for the time and effort put into them.

lol.

Your so right it's silly.

Nevermind the countless hours of learning.. reading... experimenting.... to become expert enough to take on such a task.

the motivation is a love for HTPC itself... and a feeling that you want to help others so they don't have to take the long hard road you did.

Most guides are all wonderful resources and when you factor in a build cost- $25 spent to make sure it's as good as it can be is well worth it. The hard part is setting it up.
The time I have saved is well worth the cost- even after having a decent amount of knowledge base built up about PC's there was ton's I learned.

-

post #10 of 23 Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Before you criticize maybe you should put together your own guide and see how much time it takes. Maybe then you'll understand why many people gladly pay $25 for them.
post #11 of 23 Old 07-08-2012, 10:27 AM

It's worth $25! I understand the cost!!! Why would you help someone for free?! This isnt charity!!
post #12 of 23 Old 07-08-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 11
Agreed they are extremely helpful. I'm a computer novice and I've set up two awesome machines with his guides. Pay the fee, it's the best investment for a HTPC.
post #13 of 23 Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The guides took away my fear of building an HTPC so now I am building two of them.

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
post #14 of 23 Old 07-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

It's worth $25! I understand the cost!!! Why would you help someone for free?! This isnt charity!!

This is charity ! Every time these senior members come on this forum and save some poor sloobs life (meaning me) with his/ her htpc that is charity and time they are taking out from there family , friends and just some easily deserved "down time".... charity indeed . YOU should be ashamed of your self . I thought your original posts here were genuine . How stupid of me !!

@ MFUSICK :

Way to call a spade a spade !eek.gif
post #15 of 23 Old 07-09-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Just to echo what others have said, writing guides/answering questions/etc.... may seem like such a simple thing to do, but the amount of time spent can be great. Just take a look at something like a guide. Not only do you need to test out for yourself first, but then you must go back and rerun typically so you can document properly (which includes troubleshooting so you can capture as many potential issues as possible), get screenshots, put it all together into a cohesive post, etc... all before you even publish the guide and begin to answer questions. Me personally, I am a bit burnt out from doing guides, reviews, etc... since it is nothing more then a hobby, especially with my work and family like consuming more of my free time. Hopefully folks here can appreciate the amount of time and effort that goes in to it, whether it be from Assassin, Renethx, or other members.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #16 of 23 Old 07-09-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Thanks to Damian too!

Ripping has become personal and I haven't been to taco bell.. HAHA.

post #17 of 23 Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Thanks to Damian too!
Ripping has become personal and I haven't been to taco bell.. HAHA.

Taco Bell ?

-

post #18 of 23 Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Taco Bell ?

I too was lost on that post haha What are you talking about Sammy?

Everyone ignore Hallpas... he's just here to incite anger. His one "good riddance" post about renethx was stupid as well. God forbid these guys try to get a little money back from all the hardware they purchase to write these guides.

BUY ASSASSIN'S GUIDES. I set up my first HTPC in around 2 hours because I just went step by step through the guides. Awesome stuff and he has answered every one of my many dumb noob questions over PM too.

Don't make fun of me for my stupid questions!
post #19 of 23 Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Damian understood I'm sure of it.

The first sentence of his article on ripping LOTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian 
When Ripping Becomes Personal
by Damian on July 6, 2011

By the title you make think this is going to be a post about the time I ate Taco Bell and the hours that followed Well, as much as I would love to share “ripping” stories, this post will be about a different sort of ripping....

post #20 of 23 Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Damian understood I'm sure of it.
The first sentence of his article on ripping LOTR

I freakin love Taco bell.

It's so good.

yes the hours after can be distruptive.

-

post #21 of 23 Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Living in SoCal, Taco Bell really sucks. The real deal is to be had all over the place around here for less money. IDK how Taco Bell even stays in business in this area.

post #22 of 23 Old 07-13-2012, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Living in SoCal, Taco Bell really sucks. The real deal is to be had all over the place around here for less money. IDK how Taco Bell even stays in business in this area.

Yup, Rubio's all the way.

In the DC area we're blessed with a small local chain called "California Tortilla Factory" that's killer.

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #23 of 23 Old 07-13-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

It's kind of like Red Lobster trying to open a restaurant around here. It makes no sense. I want to know when someone is going to open a Wahoo's Fish Tacos in New Hampshire!

I too think Assassin's guides are great. So is this forum. There's a lot of contribution here.

It makes me sad to see attacks on the senior members/frequent contributors, especially accusations of being fanboys when suggesting something tried and true based on experience. It hurts even more to be accused of being biased because someone decided to turn a hobby into a business. It's a lot of work, way more than the very small margin that's left over after shipping, PayPal fees, eBay fees, taxes, more shipping fees, etc. It doesn't cover countless hours answering emails (oftern until 2am), researching, building, experimenting, posting and blogging.

Obviously, there's a love of the hobby and a passion for helping others by sharing knowledge. It's not all about the money -- it can't be -- there isn't any! The reward is when you get an email that says something like, "I bought one of your cases, everything went smoothly, I love how it looks, we're all enjoying our HTPC!"

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page