Can someone recommend a version of catalyst that isn't completely broken? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Yeah but when I was using 12.4, my audio driver randomly broke. Maybe it's time to go back to 11.x.

When waking up from sleep right and not having the AV receiver set on the HTPC input it reverted to 2 channel stereo and you could not pass any DTS/DD/DTS-HD/TrueHD etc, right? Try installing 12.4, but without installing the 12.4 HDMI driver. Leave the 12.3 one. Or as an alternative, there is always the Realtek HDMI driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 07-11-2012, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Cat 12.4 has HDMI handshaking issues.

Try the official 12.6 or 12.7 beta drivers and most of these problems are resolved.

Both seem very stable for HTPC use.

Rew
post #33 of 45 Old 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 13
I have been running HD 5670 for over 2 years and I am currently running Catalyst 12.6 and I have no problems.

I do agree that the AVR (HDMI inputs) and possibly the TV or MoBo might have a role to play with driver snafus.
post #34 of 45 Old 07-11-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Why did you update in the first place? Was something not working?

12.4 was the current "stable" Catalyst driver when I installed Windows 7.

So far:
12.4: AMD HDMI audio out randomly broke
12.6: overscan settings wouldn't stick
12.3: post-processing options randomly reset
post #35 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fyi, my pixel format issues returned with a vengeance. I just picked up an nvidia get 430, installed it, and it's working perfectly so far. I don't think I even had to adjust any of the default settings. I wish I had done this a long time ago.
post #36 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Fyi, my pixel format issues returned with a vengeance. I just picked up an nvidia get 430, installed it, and it's working perfectly so far. I don't think I even had to adjust any of the default settings. I wish I had done this a long time ago.

In all seriousness I am glad you have a working machine again. Driver issues can drive you absolutely mad.
post #37 of 45 Old 07-15-2012, 05:05 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Agreed. I gave up on AMD video cards a long time ago for personal use because of these reasons.

I had an ATI card once so I could bitstream etc... but the drivers and software was so difficult maneuverver, work etc.

Since I have gone core i3 using IGP, i have very few issues and bit streaming works nicely,

FSChris
ASROCK H67 GE / HT
Core i3

Carver AV-705 5Channel AMP
Zaph 2.5MM TT'S DIY

Emotiva XPA3

Emotiva UMC 200

2 x MFW 15 Clones DIY

post #38 of 45 Old 07-15-2012, 05:23 AM

Liked: 10
I had many months of issues with stuttering etc when play blu-ray ISOs. Finally resolved it with CCC 11.4. So I'd recommend:

AHCI/Chipset 12.6
Catalyst 11.4

Since moving to this I've played > 50 blu-ray ISOs without any stutter or audio issues and am bit-streaming fine, whereas previously I was lucky to be able to play 1-2 movies.

note: If you have HDMI out of your graphics card for Audio then switch of the on-board audio in your motherboard bios and remove the drivers/software.

hth

Alex
post #39 of 45 Old 07-15-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWombat View Post

I had many months of issues with stuttering etc when play blu-ray ISOs. Finally resolved it with CCC 11.4. So I'd recommend:
AHCI/Chipset 12.6
Catalyst 11.4
Since moving to this I've played > 50 blu-ray ISOs without any stutter or audio issues and am bit-streaming fine, whereas previously I was lucky to be able to play 1-2 movies.
note: If you have HDMI out of your graphics card for Audio then switch of the on-board audio in your motherboard bios and remove the drivers/software.
hth
Alex

From what I have seen on AVS (and experienced first hand) ATI drivers that work on one person's system don't necessarily work on someone else's which just further frustrates the end user.

The point is that it shouldn't be nearly this difficult. You shouldn't have to hunt and peck through hundreds (thousands?) of different driver and CCC combinations to find something that is acceptable. ATI really needs to fix this or maybe even have a gaming set of drivers (as their newest drivers are almost always aimed at the gaming sector it seems) and then a second set of drivers that is aimed at the non-gamer.

That's never going to happen though so unfortunately we are left with these types of problems and threads.
post #40 of 45 Old 07-15-2012, 06:18 AM

@assassin

Agreed that it shouldn't be this difficult, my recommendation re: 11.4 for graphics (12.6 for chipset/ahci) is based on many many many hours of googling on AVSForum, TMT forum, MediaPortal forum etc and also as many hours of trial and error over the last 12 months. There seems to be a fairly consistent theme in across the forums that 11.4 works whereas > 11.4 is inconsistent.

Far from ideal I appreciate and the above won't solve for everyone, however it does give something else to try since I used to believe that 'latest drivers' was the way to go, before I got burnt by Catalyst.

I had almost given up with HTPCs and had spent money needlessly replacing hardware (switches, network cables etc), now all is working fine.

Alex
post #41 of 45 Old 07-15-2012, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Other than HEAT issues . This is the exact reason I left AMD years ago (mid 90s ) and never looked back .

Intel .... FTW ! biggrin.gif
post #42 of 45 Old 07-15-2012, 05:43 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWombat View Post

AHCI/Chipset 12.6
Catalyst 11.4
hth
Alex

I hope I am not speaking to soon... but 11.4 seems to have solved all of my issues. I have spent the last hour trying to trip them up. So far they have worked flawlessly.

No more loss of HDMI audio and no more underscan problems. My card is now safe from being replaced... Well, at least until there is a good sale on a GT430 smile.gif
post #43 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 04:48 AM

11.4 works. I had inconsistent results and stuttering on most of the later versions and just gave up and went back to 11.4. Since then no issues.

Glad to hear you are finding similar results - hope it continues to work :-)

Alex
post #44 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I think the concensus is, find a version that does everything you need, then stick with it. I'm still running 11.8 on my HD4670, and it works a treat. I can't bitstream with this card, so it's not an issue for me.

I will agree that certain releases of CCC are more HTPC friendly than others. AMD have always concentrated on gaming performance over anything else in their constant fight with NVidia, so HTPC users have to pick up the scraps to find the best drivers.
post #45 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Btw, on my 2nd HTPC I was also having the spontaneous pixel format changing problem. I uninstalled Catalyst and reverted to the Intel 2000 graphics. It's also working perfectly now, and I didn't have to change any settings in the Intel graphics manager. I originally installed a 5450 in that system because I thought dealing with the same graphics driver manager that my other HTPC uses would save me headaches frown.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page