I would like MKV playback with subtitles with no stutterring from VC-1 blu-ray rips. What are my options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,
A while ago I decided to repack my blu-ray rips to mkv to save a few gb on audio and video that I didn't need. I thought it would be trivial getting mkv playback to work.

I'm running an athlon 7850 2.8GHz on win7 64 with onboard Radeon HD3200

I have been using TMT3 for bluray rip/disk playback with spdif passthrough quite happily up until now. I have encountered a problem with MKV's encoded with VC-1. The rip plays flawlesly but the MKV stutters.

I have been unable to get any player (VLC,DAP,DIVX Plus,TMT5, PowerDVD12) to play my VC-1 MKV's smoothly although there is a difference in the severity of the stuttering between players.

I have been testing two VC-1 MKV's. The loosers made with mkvmerge and The Adjustment Bureau made with dvdFab. If I try to play the mkv on another win7 computer I get the same pausing.

I would like advice on how to get to the cause of the problem. I have just done a fresh install of windows, made an image, and am ready to try every option.

I would like to be able to select subtitles and audio needs to be passthrough.

Be assured I am not trying to play over wifi or anything like that.

Thanks
Gavin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-08-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The Shark007 Win7codecs with the x64Components addon will allow perfect playback In 64bit Media Center with subtitle support.
Use the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox and select your Audio output from the upper right of the Audio TAB.
The leftside of the Audio TAB is automated, allow that..
GGavin likes this.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-08-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thankyou very much.
VC-1 MKV's are no longer choppy.
Passthrough audio is working.
how do I change subtitles?
Edit:found vobsub settings on taskbar. Is there a way I can change subtitles from within media browser/center?
I am using a logitech denovo mini.
I had tried the shark007 codec pack before but for some reason could not get it working.

Thanks
Gavin
post #4 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGavin View Post

Hello all,
A while ago I decided to repack my blu-ray rips to mkv to save a few gb on audio and video that I didn't need. I thought it would be trivial getting mkv playback to work.

Why bother with MKVs at all when you are using DVD Fab & TMT?
Most people use MKVs to avoid investing money in expensive software (since MakeMKV is free).
I would advise you to rip in folder format (or ISO) and play back with TMT.
Folder rips and TMT is about as easy as you can get.
No need of any codecs, filters or any other additional settings.
Rip only the main movie title or the entire disc; plus you can keep multiple audio tracks and/or subtitles without any modification.
Try one and see how you like it.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

Thankyou very much.
Edit:found vobsub settings on taskbar. Is there a way I can change subtitles from within media browser/center?
I had tried the shark007 codec pack before but for some reason could not get it working.
Thanks
Gavin

Use MPC-HC as an external player within MB for subtitle playback with either EVR (CP) or MadVR as well as a few other video renderers. I have buttons on my Harmony 900 programmed to enable/toggle them. Another option is to use XBMC although I don't know how as I don't use it.

post #6 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Thankyou very much.
Thanks
Gavin

I blazed this exact trail.

WMC was SO very close to perfect, but this exact issue eventually drove me away from it. I almost got it working with MediaControl (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediacontrolmce/) and Shark's pack, but my setup was buggy. "The Pianist" (2002) HD-DVD VC-1 was the final straw that drove me to explore different options beyond WMC. The ability to easily toggle subtitles and commentary tracks from a single button on a remote was something that became a hard requirement for me.

Since I did not need CableCard support, I went to XBMC Eden and have never looked back.

Let me know if things have changed.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

It is still the same with the native player.
If you do need CableCARD support you can still use XBMC launched from WMC as your library player. I saw I link to how to do it last week but I'm happy with MB so didn't go any further with it.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

I only did some mkvs with dvdfab trial but i see your point. If anydvd had more than one click ripping I'd go that way.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesfullup View Post

I blazed this exact trail.
WMC was SO very close to perfect, but this exact issue eventually drove me away from it. I almost got it working with MediaControl (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediacontrolmce/) and Shark's pack, but my setup was buggy. "The Pianist" (2002) HD-DVD VC-1 was the final straw that drove me to explore different options beyond WMC. The ability to easily toggle subtitles and commentary tracks from a single button on a remote was something that became a hard requirement for me.
Since I did not need CableCard support, I went to XBMC Eden and have never looked back.
Let me know if things have changed.

XBMC was next on the checklist. As it is blu-ray rips get played through external player tmt3 (so menus work),MKV's and DVD's through media center all accessed via mediabrowser which im happy with.
Still working on subtitles though but not a deal breaker for me.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I can understand the desire for the blu-ray menus for some but for me, I'm happy to just start up the movie and watch it. I hardly have time for the movie itself, nevermind all the fluff. It has been nearly a year since I've used my stand-alone BRP and I don't miss all that at all, especially the time it took for a disc to load if it had Java or BD Live content on it (which more and more seemed to have).

post #11 of 15 Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Most people use MKVs to avoid investing money in expensive software (since MakeMKV is free).
I would advise you to rip in folder format (or ISO) and play back with TMT.
Folder rips and TMT is about as easy as you can get.
No need of any codecs, filters or any other additional settings.
Rip only the main movie title or the entire disc; plus you can keep multiple audio tracks and/or subtitles without any modification.
Try one and see how you like it.
Why? Because MKV playback works better for most of us. I've tried iso's and folders using muliple versions of both PowerDVD and TMT and the best solution I've found for streaming across my network to any PC with perfect playback is MKV via XBMC.

MakeMKV and XBMC is a match made in heaven. Once I tried it I converted over 400 Blu-Ray iso's to MKVs and never looked back. It's the only playback formula that's worked flawlessly on any PC in my house. Absolutely no stuttering, freeze-ups, or skipping with subtitles and HD audio playback. The fact that both MakeMKV and XBMC are free is just icing on the cake.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-10-2012, 08:07 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Why? Because MKV playback works better for most of us. I've tried iso's and folders using muliple versions of both PowerDVD and TMT and the best solution I've found for streaming across my network to any PC with perfect playback is MKV via XBMC.
MakeMKV and XBMC is a match made in heaven. Once I tried it I converted over 400 Blu-Ray iso's to MKVs and never looked back. It's the only playback formula that's worked flawlessly on any PC in my house. Absolutely no stuttering, freeze-ups, or skipping with subtitles and HD audio playback. The fact that both MakeMKV and XBMC are free is just icing on the cake.

Do subtitles work? Are they set to forced or default in the MKV? Also, does XBMC support bitstreaming? I'm getting tired of having to reset my WMC / Sharky codecs. Subtitles never seem to work, and for some reason I have to reboot my PC every time it wakes from sleep, just to get certain AVI files and MKV's to play. It's more annoying than a pull-start motor, and I consider those my life nemesis.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

The Shark007 Win7codecs with the x64Components addon will allow perfect playback In 64bit Media Center with subtitle support.
Use the [x] SUGGESTED settings checkbox and select your Audio output from the upper right of the Audio TAB.
The leftside of the Audio TAB is automated, allow that..
Quote:

Thankyou very much.

Thanks
Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeper View Post

Do subtitles work? Are they set to forced or default in the MKV?

There were some subtitle issues in the past using my software but in version 370 I have resolved these by simply allowing the user to use the [x] SUGGESTED settings.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Do subtitles work?

Subtitles are flawless using srt's in MKVs or even external ones. XBMC exposes all of the subtitles via an On Screen Display. I really like this because I brush up on language skills using multiple subtitles and audio tracks for foreign or domestic titles. Not only that, you can display alternative subtitles using XBMC plugins. (http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-on:XBMC_Subtitles)

>Are they set to forced or default in the MKV?

XBMC will respect forced subs in MKV.

>Also, does XBMC support bitstreaming?

Yes, with either an updated stable version of Eden (v11) or a current beta nightly of Frodo (v12).

>I'm getting tired of having to reset my WMC / Sharky codecs.

I feel your pain! XBMC has its own codecs, and as a bonus, you won't need to bother with DXVA if your CPU is an Ivy Bridge or Llano.

> Subtitles never seem to work, and for some reason I have to reboot my PC every time it wakes from sleep, just to get certain AVI files and MKV's to play. It's more annoying than a pull-start motor, and I consider those my life nemesis.

XBMC is nice, but it will not solve your sleep issues.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

Do subtitles work? Are they set to forced or default in the MKV? Also, does XBMC support bitstreaming? I'm getting tired of having to reset my WMC / Sharky codecs. Subtitles never seem to work, and for some reason I have to reboot my PC every time it wakes from sleep, just to get certain AVI files and MKV's to play. It's more annoying than a pull-start motor, and I consider those my life nemesis.
Subtitles work fine. I think they're on by default if you ripped the Blu-Ray with standard subtitles included. With MakeMKV you can select just the forced subtitles and XBMC will display them without having to change any settings. Bitstreaming works great with the proper version of XBMC. I believe the latest release may support bitstreaming, but if not you can get a patched version that does. I'm using the Eden beta version with the HD audio patch and bitstreaming works perfectly. No codecs to screw with or configure.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page