VPN's. Who's using what? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 138 Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think there is some merit to the wiki link regarding anti-circumvention. I agree the focused mainly on using technology for unauthorized copying or distribution. Nonetheless, VPN are a use of technology in use to circumvent protections build in to control access--IP locations, GPS locations, etc.

I think the interesting part of it had to do with advertising ways to circumvent those protections. There are plenty of USA based VPN providers. A lot use terms such as "unlock the internet" with pictures of Hulu, Facebook, Netflixx, and so on. This may still be illegal, but I assume the Hulu or the NFL would have gone after the, at least US based, companies on the advertising. The sports leagues, such as the NFL, go after sites such as JustinTV, FrontRowSports very aggressively for redistributing events, and even more aggressively on key events; see linked article post earlier on site seizures. I don't think they have a good argument about distribution since VPNs can be used for other points, and do not control how the service is used. They usually have something in the TOS about using it for copyright infringement as well, based on what country the VPN is headquartered

We know companies are concerned with the circumvention with the use of VPN because they do have significant language in the TOS regarding black outs and circumventing them. It could be the case it may not be a top priority if using their services at home only since it's being paid for and not used for public display. Not likely, it's most likely the lack of public display doesn't expose them to whoever monitors that stuff. And the lack of having people caught and resources to challenge these laws.

One thing is certain, the sports leagues are going to protect as much as they can the contrent distributions because of the amount of money they get from their various TV contracts. Think about how much money the NFL gets from DirectTV, it's over a billion dollars. They're not risking those contracts at the end of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

as for the thread, although it may have diverged from the original point, other than a few "name calling" moments apparently is of interest to some which can be seen since it's been more a discussion regarding an area that has not necessarily been defined by a court of law, especially in respect to criminality. If it was clear, it would be just a link to the law, other than maybe how people feel about the law.

The interest lies because some people do use it so they can get all the content they want, such as sports, and how content owners have been in trying to protect their materials such as with **********s or usenets and other said services.
post #123 of 138 Old 11-15-2012, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Seems like the place to ask this.......Is there a free or cheap and quick proxy service that would allow me to access my US based ESPN3 account while in Europe. (If I just happened to be there, hypothetically speaking of course)
post #124 of 138 Old 11-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Seems like the place to ask this.......Is there a free or cheap and quick proxy service that would allow me to access my US based ESPN3 account while in Europe. (If I just happened to be there, hypothetically speaking of course)

Unfortunately, no.

It wouldn't matter if it was paid service or not. EPSN3 is something a internet service must pay for to be able to offer it.

If you want something close to EPSN3, you can get the EPSN Player in the UK. It's not free, and doesn't cover all sports. It's more a package things such as College Sports, and so forth.

On another note, when it comes to VPNs, you get what you pay for. Bandwidth is never free, and it'll be quite evident with a free service.
post #125 of 138 Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
^I have an account and can get ESPN3 at home in the US, but not from Europe since they won't serve European IP addresses. I just wanted to access that same feed via an unblocked proxy.
post #126 of 138 Old 11-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

in theory, you should be able to use EPSN3 if you have a USA IP, assuming you're allowed to use remote sign in by your US ISP at home.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any free VPN services. I've never used one. From the research I did when looking into VPN, the general theme was you go what you get what you pay, especially in regards to bandwidth. VPN are going to slow your bandwidth because the information has to travel through it before it gets to your PC. Another thing to consider is how long that service has been around. The idea being the longer they've been around, the more likely they can be trusted not to be looking at your information. And if you're into bit torrenting, read their TOS. Not all VPNs are bit torrent friendly. Some VPNs will give 30 free trial, which may fit your needs if you're only in the UK for a short time. If you're in the military and stationed, I would suggest the paid route.

As for as free though, maybe be best to start with a google search.
post #127 of 138 Old 04-11-2013, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vote for HMA!!
post #128 of 138 Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by oikonen View Post

Vote for HMA!!

HMA would be at the very bottom of any VPNs I'd recommend...
post #129 of 138 Old 04-11-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post

As I said twice before, spoofing a geoblocker causes the copyright owner to exercise their authority to make a copy and distribute it to you. Ergo it is not a circumvention of access control under the DMCA. If you know another area of law that might come into play please offer to the discussion with the actual language you think applies and not just vague hand-waving.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1343
18 USC § 1343 - Fraud by wire, radio, or television
Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, transmits or causes to be transmitted by means of wire, radio, or television communication in interstate or foreign commerce, any writings, signs, signals, pictures, or sounds for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.
post #130 of 138 Old 04-11-2013, 03:51 PM

Liked: 10
WiTopia ! Recommended.
post #131 of 138 Old 04-11-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
post #132 of 138 Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
18 USC § 1343 - Fraud by wire, radio, or television
Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises,

The problem with trying to apply that statute is that you are still paying for the product, there is no defrauding on your part.

If there is any fraud at all, it is between the distributor and the copyright owner. The copyright owner has licensed the distributor to only distribute within a certain geographic range. So when you use a VPN the distributor (arguably) exceeds the authority they were given by the copyright owner. But between you and the distributor there is no fraud because you paid in full.

Look at it another way - if that statute were applicable then it would also be fraud to purchase a DVD from an over-seas website. It is exactly the same licensing between the copyright owners and the distributors.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #133 of 138 Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 AM

Liked: 150
I think you would be charged with "conspiracy to commit" at the least, maybe even "accessory to".
post #134 of 138 Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

The problem with trying to apply that statute is that you are still paying for the product, there is no defrauding on your part.

Geolocation spoofing for blackout circumvention is quite plainly an "artifice for obtaining property by means of false representations". Payment is not relevant to the statute.
Quote:

If there is any fraud at all, it is between the distributor and the copyright owner. The copyright owner has licensed the distributor to only distribute within a certain geographic range. So when you use a VPN the distributor (arguably) exceeds the authority they were given by the copyright owner. But between you and the distributor there is no fraud because you paid in full.

The law does not operate that way. The distributor has clean hands. You are the one committing tortious interference.
http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/wrongful-or-tortious-interference-with-contracts.html
post #135 of 138 Old 04-12-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Under the law it isn't property. The right to copy is property, but the content itself is not property. If it were property there would be no such thing as copyright infringement, it would simply be theft.

As for committing a tort, what you linked to states, "The tortfeasor must have the intention not only to commit the act, but must also have the intent that the act will result in a breach of the contract." Buying an DVD over-seas because it isn't available locally indicates exactly the same level of intent to cause the distributor of the DVD to breach their contract as geo-spoofing does. And, torts are civil not criminal law.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #136 of 138 Old 12-02-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
PrivatVPN just has a major overhaul btw... I know many of you use that.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #137 of 138 Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

I don't use it, but was it for the better?
post #138 of 138 Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page