Assistance to create a media server with user accounts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-10-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to create a media server in my home that I can access externally also as everyone in the home is away from home frequently but would still like to be able to watch our TV shows.

I have extra computers and can set one up as a home media server / website but I don't really know much about which software to use so that I can have user accounts for everyone in my home.

With the user accounts I would like it to be possible that the server / website / account remembers the state of which programs have already been watched.

For example: I have all the episodes of my favourite TV shows ripped from my disks and when I login to my site I would like some sort of identifying feature that shows I've already watched eps 1 - 11 but not 12 - 24 yet - that sort of thing for each of the TV shows I have on my server and for each user.

I would like that everyone is provided different options - myself, my wife, our kids, my mom - each can easily identify which shows he / she has already watched and just select the next in the list.

It would be good if I'm watching Star Trek Voyager and am at season 3 episode 5 to see my next choice as episode 6, but my son is at season 4 episode 15 and would need to be shown that episode 16 is next in line for 'his' shows.

I guess I am just unfamiliar as to if this already exists - I assume it would.

I have both Linux and Windows boxes so there's no real issue with selecting an OS.

Thanks for any assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 AM

Liked: 13
Do all users have their own PC or laptop? Does the user's list need to be portable from machine to machine? If everyone has their own machine and users don't need to be portable, WMC+MB does this. Just point everyone to the same share(s) and the locally running MB remember what has been watched. I think that is shared across all user accounts on that machine, but don't quote me on that.

For viewing externally, WHS with a VPN connection back home. Obviously you need to have the outgoing bandwidth though unless you copy it locally first, or transcode it on the fly based on available bandwidth.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, each user has his / her own laptop.

If I'm understanding the term correctly (portable) the list would need to be portable.

If I logged in to my 'account' from my work laptop while on the road instead of my tower at home then I would need to see the same list as I would see from my tower with the program list in the same state of "already watched" and "not watched yet".

If my daughter logs in from her friend's computer and watches some Big Bang re-runs, then she would need to see her same list, as tailored to her past viewing, when she is on her own computer.

I see it similar to a forum site like this insomuch as the website / account remembers posts that a user has read / visited before, remembers the posts that a user has made and so on the home media server I would like each user to have a customized list based on what has already been watched and this list is the same regardless of from where the user logs on.

For an added bonus it would be nice to have the system remember a partially watched / interrupted episode and restart that episode from where the user left off.

Thank you.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you install media center and media browser on each pc then each will keep its own database indicating the watched shows independently.

Now remote viewing from another computer is probably not going to keep track of this. You might check into Plex to see if it offers per-user abilities as it has a great remote viewing ability that could possibly relate back to the database indicating a watched status.

Remote viewing in general is tough without a front end exposed to the Internet. I'm experimenting with a network share presented over SSH for security reasons. This would allow my in-laws to see a standard windows network share from my network without them having to initiate a VPN.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

I checked out Plex and I think it will provide most of what I am looking for so I downloaded the server and client programs to play with.

As far as keeping track of watched media - we may have to simply do that ourselves and that`s ok.

Thank you for the advice and assistance - much appreciated.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page