5.25" Multimedia LCD/VFD Panels - Why are they near non-existant? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-11-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am almost done building an HTPC based off of Silverstone's MILO ML03B. The HTPC is meant to be a Settop Cable Box/DVR Replacement.

The ML03B looks great except I know that the lady-in-the-house is going to miss having a basic Digital Clock in the front.

So I've been looking at Multimedia LCD/VFD panels that fit into the 5.25" bay. There seems to be many External Fan Controls but I'm shocked that very few Multimedia Panels even exist. The ones that do exist are scarce and functionality-impaired.

• Silverstone MFP51 - Lots of reported problems with the clock/display disappearing, outdated drivers, outdated iMON software. There's so little information available that I don't know the physical depth of the unit (which means this unit may not even fit in the ML03B).
  • Antec VERIS Elite - Highly praised unit with a VFD-based screen, but apparently, it's not really being sold anywhere (neither at Amazon or Newegg).
  • Antec VERIS Premier - this requires 2 5.25" bays due to the controls at the bottom. I don't have the extra bay and don't need the controls. Nevertheless, it was fun reading the reviews. There are reported problems with the Display's LCD display (poor viewing angles is the most common complaint).

Are there any thoughts or suggestions as to what I can do? The Multimedia Panels help bring a classy edge to an HTPC. I've gone as far as trying to find standalone USB and/or Digital Clocks that I can place on top of the HTPC...but that's not really achieving the clean look that I was going for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
I suppose no one here uses 5.25" Multimedia Panels for their HTPC's? confused.gif
post #3 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Personally, cost prohibitive and i want as few light sources facing me when watching in a darker environment. There are a few Origin case owners here, but many come of these come with the LCD. I think I saw a recent post from someone here that was building from scratch. I think they used an LCD from another device like a portable dvd player or something.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I have Veris Premiere. It is back in the box. VFD/LCD is useless when you have that big honking TV right above the HTPC.

Lady in the house wanted to have a clock, "like the DVR did".

nMedia LCD was all but useless from 2-3 feet away.

I did put an LED clock in the nMedia 1080p case. A cheap, $6 LED alarm clock from Target that I took out of its case. It works. Wife is happy.

All other information can be accessed on the TV.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #5 of 6 Old 09-03-2012, 06:56 AM

Liked: 10
Let me bump this thread with little hope someone will have an answer.

I like OP have been looking for a useful 5.25 or double 5.25 display. nmediapc is the closest thing I can find but the display itself is so small that I imagine and reviews online confirm it's hard to read from a distance.

With HTPCs getting more popular I am surprised there aren't more options out there, and ones with a nice MCE IR as well (with no crappy software needed). I would think many HTPC owners would purchase a good product like that as I have spent many hours looking for one, but maybe I am wrong. Software like LCD smartie and others could take care of anyone's individual display needs as well.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaskary77 View Post

Personally, cost prohibitive and i want as few light sources facing me when watching in a darker environment.

+1 I personally find those LCD displays too bright and distracting. But here are a couple I found....nMEDIA PRO-LCD-B, or you can make a custom display Matrix Orbital , Crystalfontz

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page