OUYA: A New Kind of Video Game Console..HTPC potential? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Came across this kickstarter project recently and while I realize it is primarily a gaming platform I was wondering if it might have any HTPC potential. What got me excited is their design is very open and they welcome the hacking community.

Here is the part that seems to have potential. Taken from their FAQ page.

"...For hackers: root it. Go ahead. Your warranty is safe. Even the hardware is hackable. Want to get inside? You’ll need a standard screwdriver and nothing more. Go to town. We have standard USB ports and Bluetooth, so you’ll even be able to create your own peripherals.."

Also

"..We can support any apps built for Android. We'll be launching with Twitch.TV and can't wait for more partners. If you have an Android app you'd like to see on OUYA, let us know at devs@ouya.tv..."

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

The hardware seems pretty impressive.

•Tegra3 quad-core processor
•1GB RAM
•8GB of internal flash storage
•HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
•WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
•Bluetooth LE 4.0
•USB 2.0 (one)
•Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
•Android 4.0

Not bad for a $99 box the size of a Rubics cube. Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Does it have an ethernet jack? With only 8 gigs of onboard storage, WiFi, and a USB 2.0 port I don't see a way to reliably stream or get HD content onto it. Unless you want to copy over 1 movie at a time onto the 8 gigs of interal storage.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
As for streaming, using something like Plex would work.

As for an HTPC, I guess what you want to do exactly. The best way to think of the device is picturing it as a Android phone (without the phone( or a tablet. This will give you an idea of what it likely be able to handle and it's limitations.

On my HTC Evo 4G, I find flash player is a hit and miss for every site. Streaming in browser for MotoGP and Tekizilla works ok. Streaming Sirius radio, always crashes.

I know Flash Player is going away for HTML 5. Unfortunately, it's still used today. If there isn't an app for a service you want to stream, you need the browser, and most likely Flash Player.

The other thing, we don't know audio codecs it'll support. I'm sure it can probably support Dobly Digital without too much hassle. I'm just not sure they're going to have it for HD Audio. HD audio is rarely supported on PS3 or the 360. And there are enough people on here who demand it for their HTPC.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 PM

Liked: 10
I decided to back it.

They have hinted that it will get an Ethernet port, but they have not officially included it in the specs yet. They have said that you can hook a USB HDD to it (for local content). As an open console, I'm sure someone will get a USB to Ethernet adapter working as a *worst* case scenario.

The "open" part is what excites me. Just like there are a lot of kinect hacks, I am hoping that people will explore the potential here also. Each console is its own dev kit according to the makers, so we have some access/control over both the hardware and software. Porting or making HTPC apps and skins should be doable. I am not suggesting the level of Crestron or even Control4, but as a base, even a universal remote app paired with USB IR buds and/or a few network drivers could allow for some control.

XBMC is now on android. http://xbmc.org/theuni/2012/07/13/xbmc-for-android/ I figure that I will try it out. If nothing else, it should be able to run the regular Netflix app along with the other usuals right out of the box. If the whole console thing pans out, I will count the online gaming aspect as a bonus.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't care about the gaming part (doublt they will get any AAA titles for it) but I am quite excited about the HTPC potential of this box.
They supposedly shipped the dev kits so we'll see.

For $99 bucks I think many of us here can afford to experiment smile.gif
post #6 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

they started shipping dev kits out this week. It's an Android device, so it''ll get all the big games on Android. Probably get some of independent games ported over. It'll be interesting to see where it fits in regards to gaming.

As for the HTPC, it'll be quite interesting. I also see frustration as well. It should be able to run all the android apps. So it'll have Netflix, Plex, XBMC, Crackle, WatchESPN and so forth. Some stuff my be mind boggling. I have a feeling Hulu Plus won't officially release on it for awhile. I can even them doing the no HDMI video output which is common on a lot of Android devices, which means you'll would have to side load the hacked universal version one. It may be true, but makes doesn't make a lot sense, but Hulu claims the HDMI being disable is because of contract restrictions.

It's possible XBMC or Plex may make special apps. I think they'll just add code for the additional features it may be able to provide.

On with some people working on getting Linux to run on Android devices, either in a virtual environment or replace the OS, it could lead to some more interesting projects.

I preordered one during the initial Kickstarter launch.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'd be interested in the next version of OUYA or something equivalent with Tegra 4 but OUYA is just too little and too late with Tegra 3.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 16
This is what the Nexus Q should have been
post #9 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Well, it was probably a cost decision. For the what's out on Android, Tegra3 should be sufficient. Plus, it's they're making the console hackable, it may be upgradable.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page