I cannot figure out why my blu-ray video's are stuttering [Solved!!!!] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is my problem
When i play a blu ray ISO from either over the gigabit network or directly off my htpc it will stutter form time to time, usually during high action scenes ever 40 seconds or so it seems.

Here is my setup
Motherboard: ASUS F1A75-I DELUXE
CPU: AMD A8-3870 3Ghz
RAM: 1 Dimm 4GB
Hard Drive: 80GB Solid State
Arcsoft TMT5.2.1.119 up to date
Virtual Clone Drive up to date
AMD Catalyst 12.6, Default settings

I've tried everything i can think of nothing works short of changing the mixing mode from "original primary audio only" to mix to DTS or Dolby Digital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-12-2012, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
If there are older drivers available for your GPU I would try them.

My Radeon 6570 won't work with most newer AMD drivers and stutters when playing video.

I try new drivers every few months, and none seem to work.

Mr Zoid

A GF that bought me a PS3 and a HD-A2? I'm a lucky man!
post #3 of 24 Old 07-13-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Stuttering is caused when your graphics card/chip to display can not keep up with required frame rate so it starts dropping frames and then every so often stutters to catch up with real time. High action scenes with high resolution content is more likely to cause stuttering.
post #4 of 24 Old 07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I agree with trying a different set of ATI drivers to see if that improves or fixes the issue.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-13-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I used to have that problem until I tried converting my Blu-Rays to MKVs with MakeMKV and played them back with XBMC and the HD audio patch. Now I get perfectly smooth playback with full HD audio on every PC in my house when streaming from my unRAID server. I have yet to have a single movie stutter using this playback method. There's zero lag time getting the movie to start playing. XBMC gives me full cover art with all metadata. I no longer need to use Media Browser, PowerDVD, Arcsoft's Total Media Theater, AnyDVD HD, codec packs, or iso mounting utilities for playback. Everything I need is included in XBMC. The best part is that it's absolutely free, as is MakeMKV.

Give it a shot and let us know how it affects your playback issues. You can convert your existing iso's by mounting them in VirtualCloneDrive and then converting with MakeMKV. I believe there's a guide for configuring XBMC in one of the stickys. If not, consider signing up for Assassin's guides posted on his blog (see his signature for the link). It's well worth the cost of admission.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZoid View Post

If there are older drivers available for your GPU I would try them.
My Radeon 6570 won't work with most newer AMD drivers and stutters when playing video.
I try new drivers every few months, and none seem to work.
Mr Zoid
I'll do some testing and see what comes up.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-13-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

I used to have that problem until I tried converting my Blu-Rays to MKVs with MakeMKV and played them back with XBMC and the HD audio patch. Now I get perfectly smooth playback with full HD audio on every PC in my house when streaming from my unRAID server. I have yet to have a single movie stutter using this playback method. There's zero lag time getting the movie to start playing. XBMC gives me full cover art with all metadata. I no longer need to use Media Browser, PowerDVD, Arcsoft's Total Media Theater, AnyDVD HD, codec packs, or iso mounting utilities for playback. Everything I need is included in XBMC. The best part is that it's absolutely free, as is MakeMKV.
Give it a shot and let us know how it affects your playback issues. You can convert your existing iso's by mounting them in VirtualCloneDrive and then converting with MakeMKV. I believe there's a guide for configuring XBMC in one of the stickys. If not, consider signing up for Assassin's guides posted on his blog (see his signature for the link). It's well worth the cost of admission.
Thanks for the suggestion Captain, however with close to 700 movies on my server i don't think i will switch to MKV until i have exhausted all other options.
post #8 of 24 Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I agree with trying a different set of ATI drivers to see if that improves or fixes the issue.
Thank you assassin,
Do you have a suggestion to start at, AMD has drivers back to version 8.10 on 10/15/2008, or do i just roll back until its better?
post #9 of 24 Old 07-13-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadork8317 View Post

Thank you assassin,
Do you have a suggestion to start at, AMD has drivers back to version 8.10 on 10/15/2008, or do i just roll back until its better?

Sadly I do not. Just like many other AMD users that have posted this week about driver issues you are going to have to try the old "hunt and peck" method to see if a different works for you and doesn't break something else.

I would recommend taking 1 of your problematic iso files and converting it to something like MKV to see if that makes a difference at all. I would do this prior to going on a driver hunt as a baseline.

BTW a new driver may or may not fix the issue. But its a start.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-13-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW what are you bitstreaming to and how?
post #11 of 24 Old 07-13-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
When you have stuttering what is your CPU utilization? if it is very high that would imply that hardware acceleration is not being used by your graphics card/chip.
post #12 of 24 Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion Captain, however with close to 700 movies on my server i don't think i will switch to MKV until i have exhausted all other options.
I had well over a 1000 Blu-Rays and DVDs when I decided to switch. I have since converted them all to MKVs and never regretted it for an instant. Try it with one or two movies and see if you're happy with the results. I think you'll find that the effort to convert them to MKVs is far less annoying than watching your entire movie collection stutter and freeze.
post #13 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Here is my problem
When i play a blu ray ISO from either over the gigabit network or directly off my htpc it will stutter form time to time, usually during high action scenes or so it seems.
Here is my setup
Motherboard: ASUS F1A75-I DELUXE
CPU: AMD A8-3870 3Ghz
RAM: 1 Dimm 4GB
Hard Drive: 80GB Solid State
Arcsoft TMT5.2.1.119 up to date
Virtual Clone Drive up to date
AMD Catalyst 12.6, Default settings
I've tried everything i can think of nothing works short of changing the mixing mode from "original primary audio only" to mix to DTS or Dolby Digital.

I understand what you've been going through having spent many months battling the same issue i.e. playing blu-ray ISO without stuttering. I actually registered on the forum so I could answer your post biggrin.gif

I'm VERY happy to say that I resolved the issue (for my setup) and have since played > 50 blu-ray ISOs without any stutter including concurrent blu-ray ISOs. Hopefully this works for you.

My setup is somewhat similar:

HTPC-01
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA880GMA-UD2H v2.2
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: 4 Dimm 8GB
Hard Drive: 60GB Solid State
GPU: ATI 5570 1GB
MediaPortal 1.2.3 with StreamedMP (Moving Pictures, MyTVSeries)
Arcsoft TMT5.3.x (note: 5.3.x has just been released, although I was working fine with 5.2.xx.119)
DaemonTools Lite (although I was using Virtual Clone Drive)
AMD Catalyst 12.6 - for chipset/ahci
AMD Catalyst 11.4 - for graphics card
Onboard Audio - disabled in BIOS and no drivers installed

HTPC-02
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-M-EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: 2 Dimm 4GB
Hard Drive: 60GB Solid State
GPU: ATI 5570 1GB
MediaPortal 1.3.0 alpha with StreamedMP (Moving Pictures, MyTVSeries)
Arcsoft TMT5.3.x (note: 5.3.x has just been released, although I was working fine with 5.2.xx.119)
DaemonTools Lite (although I was using Virtual Clone Drive)
AMD Catalyst 12.6 - for chipset/ahci
AMD Catalyst 11.4 - for graphics card
Onboard Audio - disabled in BIOS and no drivers installed

Server Storage:
UnRaid 5.0rc5 plus a few 5400rpm HDDs

Network:
Gigabit wired (including switches - DLink DGS-108

note: that in my circumstance there was no hardware issue, I kept thinking it was a network related issue however from checking the bandwidth usage it was all ok. My CPUs are at around 5-6% usage when playing ISOs (using hardware acceleration or around 20% when not)

If you are able to reformat your PC and start again it will provide a consistent baseline, otherwise make sure you make use of CCleaner and other utilities to clear out the old drivers (particularly ATI). There are plenty of instructions on the WWW.

Some tips:
  1. Install Windows 7 and sp1 and update via Windows Update (except for audio/video device drivers)
  2. If using HDMI output for audio/video then disable on-board audio for motherboard and don't install the drivers
  3. Only install the minimum drivers needed. i.e. AMD AHCI/Chipset (12.6), AMD Catalyst/Vision Control (11.4). Network driver (e.g. Realtek 7.058)
  4. Change the following registry key to ensure that Windows (I assume 7) doesn't throttle ISO network throughput as it doesn't recognize ISO as a valid multimedia format
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\]
    "NetworkThrottlingIndex"="FFFFFFFF"
    You can read more here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066
  5. Once OS installed, with correct drivers, then install TMT and check whether everything is working (i.e. no stutter). If it is working fine then take a backup of the system - I usually use the "Create a System Image" that comes with WIndows 7.
  6. note that for TMT you want to have (and note that there are separate settings for TMT standalone and the TMT MCE player):
    a) Hardware Acceleration On
    b) SimHD set to CPU as other it probably will crash - but try and see. SimHD is used for Standard Definition e.g. DVDs
  7. The last part of the puzzle is to look at refresh rates. I'm assuming you are outputting to a flatscreen TV - if so then:
    a) open up screen resolution (right click on desktop background), click "Advanced Settings", select "Monitor Tab" - you should see a list of refresh rates in a drop-down combo box
    b) open up catalyst control center and go to the Scaling section (should be under My Digital Flat Panels if you have a TV connected).
    c) Go back to a) and select the first refresh rate in the dropdown - this may be 23; go back to b) and select the scaling to be 0% so the picture is fully taking up the screen. click Apply
    d) repeat c) for each refresh rate - note: You should check your tv manual to ensure the modes listed are supported
  8. For now revert back to the default refresh rate (for me this is 60); however you'll be able to play with refresh rate switching later on to ensure that blu-rays are optimized to either 23Hz or 24Hz
  9. Once the system image has been created, you can then fiddle to your heart's content, and if you mess it up just revert back to the original system image

note: Do not install codec packs for now e.g. Sharks etc. If you are using TMT then they are not needed. While codec packs work for many people I find they can introduce a lot of unknowns. The only codecs I install by default these days are LAV Filter (v 0.50.5) as they now come with MediaPortal which is the software I use for my HTPC. LAV filter works fine for bitstreaming Hi-Def MSTR audio etc. In my setup Non blu-ray ISO material (e.g. DVD ISO, mkvs, avis etc) play within the inbuilt MediaPortal player (including 1:1 MKVs of blu-rays e.g. for TV Series which I keep as MKVs rather than ISOs); while Blu-Ray ISO movies play are played in TMT MCE which is launched by MediaPortal. While off-topic - if you haven't checked out MediaPortal then I can highly recommend trying version 1.2.3 with StreamedMP skin installed as this gives MovingPictures and MyTVSeries plugins by default.

I'm by no means an expert - however I have now built/rebuilt my HTPCs multiple times and played > 50 blu-ray ISOs in the last few weeks due to family visiting without any stutter. I narrowed down my original issue to drivers/codecs rather than anything hardware related and am pleased it has all been resolved.

@Assassin - feel free to include any of the above in your guides if it is not already covered.

hth

Alex
post #14 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

BTW what are you bitstreaming to and how?

DTS HD and Dolby True HD, is that what you are referring to?

The HTPC is connected to my Pioneer VSX-1019AH

TMT5 stats
MPEG-4 AVC
1920x1080
Dolby TrueHD Pass Through
post #15 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

When you have stuttering what is your CPU utilization? if it is very high that would imply that hardware acceleration is not being used by your graphics card/chip.

When i play a bluray iso my cpu load is between 20-30% even through a stutter.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

DTS HD and Dolby True HD, is that what you are referring to?
The HTPC is connected to my Pioneer VSX-1019AH
TMT5 stats
MPEG-4 AVC
1920x1080
Dolby TrueHD Pass Through

Okay. Connected via HDMI?

You wouldn't believe some of the hardware miscues I have seen.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Okay. Connected via HDMI?
You wouldn't believe some of the hardware miscues I have seen.

Sorry, Yes HDMI
post #18 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWombat View Post

I understand what you've been going through having spent many months battling the same issue i.e. playing blu-ray ISO without stuttering. I actually registered on the forum so I could answer your post biggrin.gif
I'm VERY happy to say that I resolved the issue (for my setup) and have since played > 50 blu-ray ISOs without any stutter including concurrent blu-ray ISOs. Hopefully this works for you.
Some tips:
  1. Install Windows 7 and sp1 and update via Windows Update (except for audio/video device drivers)
  2. If using HDMI output for audio/video then disable on-board audio for motherboard and don't install the drivers
  3. Only install the minimum drivers needed. i.e. AMD AHCI/Chipset (12.6), AMD Catalyst/Vision Control (11.4). Network driver (e.g. Realtek 7.058)
  4. Change the following registry key to ensure that Windows (I assume 7) doesn't throttle ISO network throughput as it doesn't recognize ISO as a valid multimedia format
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\]
    "NetworkThrottlingIndex"="FFFFFFFF"
    You can read more here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948066
  5. Once OS installed, with correct drivers, then install TMT and check whether everything is working (i.e. no stutter). If it is working fine then take a backup of the system - I usually use the "Create a System Image" that comes with WIndows 7.
  6. note that for TMT you want to have (and note that there are separate settings for TMT standalone and the TMT MCE player):
    a) Hardware Acceleration On
    b) SimHD set to CPU as other it probably will crash - but try and see. SimHD is used for Standard Definition e.g. DVDs
  7. The last part of the puzzle is to look at refresh rates. I'm assuming you are outputting to a flatscreen TV - if so then:
    a) open up screen resolution (right click on desktop background), click "Advanced Settings", select "Monitor Tab" - you should see a list of refresh rates in a drop-down combo box
    b) open up catalyst control center and go to the Scaling section (should be under My Digital Flat Panels if you have a TV connected).
    c) Go back to a) and select the first refresh rate in the dropdown - this may be 23; go back to b) and select the scaling to be 0% so the picture is fully taking up the screen. click Apply
    d) repeat c) for each refresh rate - note: You should check your tv manual to ensure the modes listed are supported
  8. For now revert back to the default refresh rate (for me this is 60); however you'll be able to play with refresh rate switching later on to ensure that blu-rays are optimized to either 23Hz or 24Hz
  9. Once the system image has been created, you can then fiddle to your heart's content, and if you mess it up just revert back to the original system image
note: Do not install codec packs for now e.g. Sharks etc. If you are using TMT then they are not needed. While codec packs work for many people I find they can introduce a lot of unknowns. The only codecs I install by default these days are LAV Filter (v 0.50.5) as they now come with MediaPortal which is the software I use for my HTPC. LAV filter works fine for bitstreaming Hi-Def MSTR audio etc. In my setup Non blu-ray ISO material (e.g. DVD ISO, mkvs, avis etc) play within the inbuilt MediaPortal player (including 1:1 MKVs of blu-rays e.g. for TV Series which I keep as MKVs rather than ISOs); while Blu-Ray ISO movies play are played in TMT MCE which is launched by MediaPortal. While off-topic - if you haven't checked out MediaPortal then I can highly recommend trying version 1.2.3 with StreamedMP skin installed as this gives MovingPictures and MyTVSeries plugins by default.
I'm by no means an expert - however I have now built/rebuilt my HTPCs multiple times and played > 50 blu-ray ISOs in the last few weeks due to family visiting without any stutter. I narrowed down my original issue to drivers/codecs rather than anything hardware related and am pleased it has all been resolved.
@Assassin - feel free to include any of the above in your guides if it is not already covered.
hth
Alex

Alex,

Thank you for the detailed list of help,

I'm not quite ready to do a full wipe, however i did go through your recommendations, unfortunately the blu-ray is still skipping. It actually seems to be pretty consistent every 40 seconds or so. Which i would assume means there is a timing issue somewhere? Maybe?
post #19 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Here is an example of when the stutter / skipping occurred. The occurrences change each time i play the disc, but the intervals are always very close to the same time.

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol

0:28
1:10
1:52
2:34
3:14
3:57

Average 41 Seconds
post #20 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

I think i found the issue!

Arcsoft TMT5 has an option for "Automatic refresh rate switching" I unchecked it, and it seems the stutter has completely disappeared, going on 6 minutes and it looks good so far.

I found this post on the arcsoft website http://www.arcsoft.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9708&PID=43988&SID=26f5faff-a3c7-25c45ad5-974dd1d9-z935e1d5&title=bluray-stutter-pause-issue-every-3040-seconds#43988 which seems to explain the issue.

Thank you everyone for the help. This topic can be marked as solved.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:

I think i found the issue!
Arcsoft TMT5 has an option for "Automatic refresh rate switching" I unchecked it, and it seems the stutter has completely disappeared, going on 6 minutes and it looks good so far.
I found this post on the arcsoft website http://www.arcsoft.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9708&PID=43988&SID=26f5faff-a3c7-25c45ad5-974dd1d9-z935e1d5&title=bluray-stutter-pause-issue-every-3040-seconds#43988 which seems to explain the issue.
Thank you everyone for the help. This topic can be marked as solved.

Glad to hear you've solved this. I switched of my Auto Refresh rate switching in TMT a while ago due to stability issues with TMT and ATI GPUs and now just use MediaPortal to correct the refresh rate when launching any movie. One thing you may want to check is to confirm what refresh rate your display is compared to the refresh rate of the movie. In MediaPortal you just press Shift & 1, however in TMT I think you need to pause the movie, switch (alt-tab) to the desktop and then check what refresh rate the desktop is at.

It's very subjective, but if the movie is playing at 24fps you ideally should look to have your display refresh rate at 24 as well (if it supports it). If the movie is at 23.976 then have your display on 23Hz (if it supports it) - note: there is a manual edit you need to make to the TMT ini files to make it support 23Hz refresh rate etc etc etc.

If you want to see if it makes any difference then find a 23.976 or 23fps movie (many blu-ray movies) and manually switch the desktop refresh rate to 23Hz ot 24Hz accordingly. Start TMT, watch the movie and see if it seems any better than the default.

hth

Alex
post #22 of 24 Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Alex,

I use TMT because it is one of the only programs that can play bluray ISO files, can media portal do that also? The link i referred to has the manual edit to add 23Hz to TMT5.

Add the key Refresh23HZ=1 to the [GENERAL] section of this file: [USER]\AppData\Roaming\ArcSoft\ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5\5.2\PlayDVD.ini
post #23 of 24 Old 07-18-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks Alex,
I use TMT because it is one of the only programs that can play bluray ISO files, can media portal do that also? The link i referred to has the manual edit to add 23Hz to TMT5.
Add the key Refresh23HZ=1 to the [GENERAL] section of this file: [USER]\AppData\Roaming\ArcSoft\ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 5\5.2\PlayDVD.ini

For TMT I also use the Refresh23HZ=1 and it seems to work fine on the latest version of TMT.

Regarding MediaPortal, the latest 1.3 Alpha build can play blu-ray ISOs (although without displaying BD-J menus). While it is tagged as 'alpha' I am running it on a daily basis on my 2nd HTPC and am not having any issues with it.

What I'd actually recommend initially would be to install MediaPortal 1.2.3 plus the StreamedMP skin (which gives you Moving Pictures and MyTVSeries among other things. Then do the following:
  1. Point MovingPictures at your movie collection, whether DVD ISO, BluRay ISO or assorted rips
  2. Set up Moving Pictures to launch "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 5\uMCEPlayer5.exe" for BluRay ISOs (this still provides a pretty seamless experience)
  3. By default standard DVD ISO and assorted rips will launch in the internal MediaPortal player

As MediaPortal is free, you could try it out for a couple of hours and see how you like it. I find it excellent.

If you like it you can then invest a bit more time configuring it and/or trying the 1.3 Alpha build

hth

Alex
post #24 of 24 Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordWombat View Post

For TMT I also use the Refresh23HZ=1 and it seems to work fine on the latest version of TMT.
Regarding MediaPortal, the latest 1.3 Alpha build can play blu-ray ISOs (although without displaying BD-J menus). While it is tagged as 'alpha' I am running it on a daily basis on my 2nd HTPC and am not having any issues with it.
What I'd actually recommend initially would be to install MediaPortal 1.2.3 plus the StreamedMP skin (which gives you Moving Pictures and MyTVSeries among other things. Then do the following:
  1. Point MovingPictures at your movie collection, whether DVD ISO, BluRay ISO or assorted rips
  2. Set up Moving Pictures to launch "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcSoft\TotalMedia Theatre 5\uMCEPlayer5.exe" for BluRay ISOs (this still provides a pretty seamless experience)
  3. By default standard DVD ISO and assorted rips will launch in the internal MediaPortal player
As MediaPortal is free, you could try it out for a couple of hours and see how you like it. I find it excellent.
If you like it you can then invest a bit more time configuring it and/or trying the 1.3 Alpha build
hth
Alex

I'll check it out.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page