Remote desktop connection question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am in the process of building an htpc, i also have a desktop computer right nearby, instead of getting a mouse and keyboard for those odd times i require one, im planning on using remote desktop instead. One thing im curious about, is does what im actually doing show up on the screen connected to the htpc, in this case my tv? The reason why I am asking is because sometimes if i want to play a youtube clip or whatever it would be easier to navigate to it with a keyboard or mouse, or currently in canada i have to use netflix.ca because the media center app wont work in canada, so I would naturally want what im doing on my desktop to also show up on the htpc screen.

Hope this makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Not all settings such as audio and video can be adjusted remotelly.

post #3 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Just a reminder... Not all versions of windows allow remote desktop connectivity. I found this out the hard way after I purchased and installed Win 7 home premium. I originally planned to access my HTPC from the comfort of my couch via laptop but now I'm stuck running to the other room whenever I want to make changes or tinker.

post #4 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

Just a reminder... Not all versions of windows allow remote desktop connectivity. I found this out the hard way after I purchased and installed Win 7 home premium. I originally planned to access my HTPC from the comfort of my couch via laptop but now I'm stuck running to the other room whenever I want to make changes or tinker.

You're gonna love this: http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114/t/79427.aspx
post #5 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, was aware of which windows allow this...

As for putting things like youtube, or netflix web java up on my htpc connected to a tv....is this possible? For instance, lets say i wanted to search and locat e a youtube video, can I log in on my desktop to my htpc and play a youtube video on the htpc..... will it show up and play on the htpc or essentially play on the computer i am controlling...
post #6 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The short answer is yes. Anything you can do on a regular computer you can do with a HTPC. Netflix is built into Windows Media Center, and Hulu and YouTube both have special apps that work decently with a remote.
post #7 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes sorry I am not being clear explaining......but can you do this through the remote desktop connection in windows so that it plays on the htpc?

My hope is the video and audio on youtube or netflix would play through the htpc and not the desktop computer your using to control the htpc.

Someone has to be using remote desktop to control an htpc at times....

So again my hope is to be able to use my desktop pc and use windows remote connection, to connect to the htpc and if i want to play netflix or youtube videos, it plays the video and audio on my htpc machine, not through the desktop pc. Im just looking for clarification because I have never used it before.

I also cant use mce netflix, Microsoft does not allow any IP outside of america to use it, im stuck using the website currently.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-13-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Yes sorry I am not being clear explaining......but can you do this through the remote desktop connection in windows so that it plays on the htpc?
My hope is the video and audio on youtube or netflix would play through the htpc and not the desktop computer your using to control the htpc.

Ah, I see now. No, the video and audio will play in the RDP session. The RDP session creates a virtual video and audio card so that the audio and video plays at the remote location. Say you are using your computer in your office to RDP into your HTPC, the HTPC will send the audio and video for that session to your office computer. The HTPC will also have it's separate audio and video playing on the actual hardware. So you can have someone watching a movie on the HTPC, and you can also have a youtube running on the RDP session at the same time. Each will have their own audio and video.

It sounds like you want to remotely control your HTPC from another computer. In this case, you would want to use VNC instead of RDP. VNC allows you to control the HTPC as if you are sitting in front of it moving the mouse, pressing keys on the keyboard. That being said, video performance isn't all that great over VNC unless you have a wired connection to both computers.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-14-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hello thanks for the helpful information.

I will be using a wired connection to both computers... As for vnc, is that included in any windows build or will i need 3rd party software? I read a bit about team viewer before but never used it or have any idea how good it is.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-14-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

It's a 3rd party utility that you would install on both computers. There are plenty of free options out there like UltraVNC, RealVNC, TIghtVNC, etc.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 205
Did you try the link I posted? It allows you to enable remote access on Win Home.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-14-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

He doesn't want to use RDP:
Quote:

He wants to remote control his HTPC with another computer.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM

Liked: 11
Remotelly is an amalgamation of the word remote and the British slang for television or “telly”

Remotely is something all together different.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-14-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I agree VNC is what you want. It will allow you to take control of the htpc, but still show's whats happening on the screen.

Or this is pretty cool too.
http://lifehacker.com/5839346/mouse-without-borders-shares-your-mouse-keyboard-and-files-between-two-windows-computers

Just drag your mouse over to your htpc.
post #15 of 20 Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post

I agree VNC is what you want. It will allow you to take control of the htpc, but still show's whats happening on the screen.
Or this is pretty cool too.
http://lifehacker.com/5839346/mouse-without-borders-shares-your-mouse-keyboard-and-files-between-two-windows-computers
Just drag your mouse over to your htpc.

I use that software at work and it's great. We have 4 pc's setup next to each other and it's completely eliminated having to press the buttons on our KVM hundreds of times a day.

For remote desktop I've always used Teamviewer myself, but it leaves an annoying pop up on the client machine when you disconnect.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I actually came across that mouse without boarders the other week, but i was looking at it for another reason, no idea why it didnt dawn on me to use it to solve this problem.

Likely I will use that and vnc, the vnc will need to be used if im watching the tv, and need to fix something or update something on the htpc. Although with this now, i dont know if remote desktop would be easier or better....or maybe it does not matter. I have no experience with either.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-16-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Both VNC and RDP have problems with HTPC usage. In RDP you log in and the connected display will show the lock screen while in the session and it will also kill WMC due to the graphics/sound driver swap.

With most VNC drivers you will get a black/blank WMC screen when connected due to its display drivers. I haven't tested VNC in a couple years, but at the time I couldn't get past the blank WMC screen. I used UltraVNC and a couple others and they all had the same issue.

If you want to watch YouTube get a tablet or laptop...

OR you can do something like this if you have a smartphone/tablet http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/07/the-power-of-two-use-your-phone-as-a-keyboard-and-mouse/

post #18 of 20 Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes is the answer to your question. I'd recommend UltraVNC.

Youtube or other browser based video applications will work just fine the way you describe in your original post. The sound will play through your receiver, video will appear on the TV. The only downside is if you are running a full screen directX application such as XMBC, it will need to be windowed before it can be viewed remotely.

UltraVNC is free, so you could check it out and delete it if you aren't happy.

I'm confused too.

post #19 of 20 Old 07-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Both VNC and RDP have problems with HTPC usage. In RDP you log in and the connected display will show the lock screen while in the session and it will also kill WMC due to the graphics/sound driver swap.
It has nothing to do with the "ghraphics/sound driver swap". It has everything to do with Microsoft not wanting to allow multiple simultaneous logons with desktop Windows versions. The concurrent desktop hack linked to above demonstrates it's not an issue. It doesn't solve the OP's problem, but does resolve the artificial issue Microsoft puts in place.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-16-2012, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

It has nothing to do with the "ghraphics/sound driver swap". It has everything to do with Microsoft not wanting to allow multiple simultaneous logons with desktop Windows versions. The concurrent desktop hack linked to above demonstrates it's not an issue. It doesn't solve the OP's problem, but does resolve the artificial issue Microsoft puts in place.

Logging in via RDP with WMC playing kills WMC. Using a concurrent desktop connection you aren't logging in to the same session where WMC is playing so WMC doesn't see the graphics/sound driver swap.

A table/smartphone based mouse and keyboard app would probably do what the OP needs.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page