What's the highest capacity AA recharable batteries out on the market; and, a good charger for it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-14-2012, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I have a device that will literally suck two Energizer lithium AA batteries dry in a half a day.  So, it looks like I need a rechargeable batteries for sure.  I know that the second generation Sanyo eneloop are supposed to be very good.  But, just wanted to make sure there isn't something that could last longer (even if there might be a side-effect some people may not like).

I also need a good charger.  I heard that slow charge ones make the battteries last longer.  However, if it means I would sacrifice a little bit of life from the batteries, I may be willing to deal with that.

Thanks,

MKANET

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+ OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-14-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I use Eneloops and this charger.

post #3 of 24 Old 07-14-2012, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I use Eneloops and this charger.

+1
post #4 of 24 Old 07-14-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I got these batteries: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00629EZAO/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00 (2.85 amp hour)...

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #5 of 24 Old 07-14-2012, 11:27 PM

Liked: 15
post #6 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
1) You need a "REAL" battery charger. Buy a La Crosse BC-1000 (which replaces the BC-900) or a BC-700 battery charger.
2) If you are "new" to the world of real battery chargers, get just one. I have two (BC-900 & BC-700) since I am systematically moving to rechargeable batteries and we consume a lot of them.
3) Just because a battery claims to be "2000mAh" or even "3000mAh" does not mean it is delivering at that spec.
4) You need run a charge/TEST on these batteries on a La Crosse charger to find out what it is actually doing.

Here is the Amazon link to La Crosse Technology Alpha Power Battery Charger, BC1000 charger
http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-Battery-BC1000/dp/B004J6DLD4/ref=pd_cp_e_1

I would recommend going over the description and then reading NLee's review under it.

Finally, what batteries? The idea is to buy the reasonably priced rechargeable and not shock charge them to death at 2000mA using "15 min battery chargers". Be patient, use a La Crosse charger to charge them at 200mA and refresh them a few times a year and your batteries will literally last you forever.

That is what I have been doing for years.
Sup4Me likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
For chargers, I also recommend going with a quality charger. The one I use that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Maha / PowerEx MHC-9000. This one is often recommended over at CPF forums. Here is a comparison with the La Crosse 900. And here is a good overview of NiMH chargers

For AA battereis, I like the Sanyo XX eneloop (2500mAh). I've tried several with higher advertised capacities, but when I checked with my Maha they seemed to come in lower then those values and they did not hold up as well over time. When I check the Sanyoo XX their capacity was a little higher then advertised and are holding up well.
post #8 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I had my eyes on the Sanyo XX eleloop (2500aAh) batteries.  I had originally registered on CPF forums yesterday and asked my question there; but for whatever reason it takes several days for moderators to review and approve my post.  Good thing I posted here or I'd still be waiting.

Thanks everyone for helping out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post

For chargers, I also recommend going with a quality charger. The one I use that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Maha / PowerEx MHC-9000. This one is often recommended over at CPF forums. Here is a comparison with the La Crosse 900. And here is a good overview of NiMH chargers
For AA battereis, I like the Sanyo XX eneloop (2500mAh). I've tried several with higher advertised capacities, but when I checked with my Maha they seemed to come in lower then those values and they did not hold up as well over time. When I check the Sanyoo XX their capacity was a little higher then advertised and are holding up well.

SageTV:

post #9 of 24 Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I was reading the reviews.  No doubt the Maha/PowerEx MHC-9000 is the most powerful charger.  But, I was reading a review saying to charge 4 cells, it requires to punch in 48 key strokes!?  Hopefully, that's just a one time setup.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to press 48 keypresses to quickly charge 4 batteries.  Other than that, it looks like a very smart charger; and a great companion for the Sanyo XX batteries.

"However, due to the complicated key sequences involved (for example, to charge 4 cells at 2000mA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post

SageTV:

post #10 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

In Maha's directions it is not recommended to charge at a rate below 0.3C or above 1.0C, where C is the battery capacity...
- Too slow may prevent the charger from terminating the charge correctly
- Charging too fast may damage the battery
- Typically slower rates yields better battery performance but requires longer time
- Faster rates may not charge batteries as fully and the temperature can get higher

Key sequence is not complicated IMO:
1. Insert battery
2. Hit "Enter" button to select the mode.
- Since the default mode is "charge", this is just one button click.
3. Hit the "Arrow" button to change the charge rate value from 1000 to desired value.
- Each button click changes this value by 100. The more you deviate from default, the more button clicks.
4. Hit "Enter" once which selects the above charge rate and begins the charge

Total button clicks to get battery charging:
1. Charge rate: 1000mA --- Button clicks: 2
2. Charge rate: 1200mA --- Button clicks: 4
3. Charge rate: 2000mA --- Button clicks: 12

Note:
#1 is using the charger's default charge rate value
#2 is what I use for the Sanyo 2500 XX
#3 I personally never use a value this high
post #11 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

I have a device that will literally suck two Energizer lithium AA batteries dry in a half a day.  So, it looks like I need a rechargeable batteries for sure. 

What is the current draw on this device?
If it can consume a Li-ion battery pack in half a day, batteries may not be the answer.
Is this device the wireless USB transceiver that you were searching for earlier?
You might want to look into a wall adapter for such an application.
post #12 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 06:54 AM

Liked: 13
You guys obviously did not read NLee's review of the the MAHA when you bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLee's amazon review of the BC-900/MH-C9000 

The C9000 has four completely independent charging circuits that can be programmed to different currents. This may sound great at first, but in practice it soon becomes a burden, because you often need to press dozens of key stokes to program all four cells.

For example: If you want to recondition four cells on the BC-900, you'll go through the following sequence:
- insert in all 4 cells at once
- press MODE to select DISCHARGE/REFRESH (2 keystrokes*)
- press CURRENT to select charging current (2-3 keystrokes)
* Note: need to press and hold MODE for ~3 seconds for the first keystroke

On the C9000, you can insert in all 4 cells at once, but you have to program them one at a time. Which means:
- press UP/DOWN to select 'CYCLE', then 'ENTER' (2-5 key strokes)
- press UP/DOWN to select charging current, ENTER (1-11 key strokes)
- press UP/DOWN to select discharging current, ENTER (1-6 key strokes)
- press UP/DOWN to select number of cycles, ENTER (1-13 key strokes)
Congratulations! You just finished programming the first cell. Now repeat that for the other three cells.

BOTTOM LINE:
The Maha MH-C9000 is, without a doubt, the most powerful NiMH AA battery analyzer/charger in the consumer market. However, certain design issues (such as a single-status LCD panel and ridiculously long programming sequences) make it difficult to use for multiple cells. For most of my routine charging and maintenance of NiMH cells, I'll continue to use my old La Crosse BC-900.

Nevertheless, I don't regret buying the C9000, because it was a lot of fun for me to try out all its functions. Plus I now have a really cool (but expensive) night light.
post #13 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes.  The main thing I need it for is for the wireless USB transmitter.  Actually, the whole point is to make it wireless.  It's more hassle for me to deal with an AC wall plug wire than to swap batteries.  So, batteries is the only solution.  However, obviously not with only 2 AA's.  I'm looking into using a battery pack that can hold a bigger rechargable battery to power the USB wireless for a full day; which would be perfect for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

What is the current draw on this device?
If it can consume a Li-ion battery pack in half a day, batteries may not be the answer.
Is this device the wireless USB transceiver that you were searching for earlier?
You might want to look into a wall adapter for such an application.

SageTV:

post #14 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Actually, I did read NLee's review.  But, his review isn't the only review to consider.  I actually found out that the default setting seems to be ideal for the Sanyo XX eleloop batteries; which I dont have to do anything except for plug the batteries in and let it charge.  It also has all sorts of interesting features not available on the La Crosse.  I actually wouldn't mind owning both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mungee View Post

You guys obviously did not read NLee's review of the the MAHA when you bought it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLee's amazon review of the BC-900/MH-C9000 
The C9000 has four completely independent charging circuits that can be programmed to different currents. This may sound great at first, but in practice it soon becomes a burden, because you often need to press dozens of key stokes to program all four cells.
For example: If you want to recondition four cells on the BC-900, you'll go through the following sequence:
- insert in all 4 cells at once
- press MODE to select DISCHARGE/REFRESH (2 keystrokes*)
- press CURRENT to select charging current (2-3 keystrokes)
* Note: need to press and hold MODE for ~3 seconds for the first keystroke
On the C9000, you can insert in all 4 cells at once, but you have to program them one at a time. Which means:
- press UP/DOWN to select 'CYCLE', then 'ENTER' (2-5 key strokes)
- press UP/DOWN to select charging current, ENTER (1-11 key strokes)
- press UP/DOWN to select discharging current, ENTER (1-6 key strokes)
- press UP/DOWN to select number of cycles, ENTER (1-13 key strokes)
Congratulations! You just finished programming the first cell. Now repeat that for the other three cells.
BOTTOM LINE:
The Maha MH-C9000 is, without a doubt, the most powerful NiMH AA battery analyzer/charger in the consumer market. However, certain design issues (such as a single-status LCD panel and ridiculously long programming sequences) make it difficult to use for multiple cells. For most of my routine charging and maintenance of NiMH cells, I'll continue to use my old La Crosse BC-900.
Nevertheless, I don't regret buying the C9000, because it was a lot of fun for me to try out all its functions. Plus I now have a really cool (but expensive) night light.

SageTV:

post #15 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I also use the La Crosse BC-700 and really like it. In addition to charging it does a great job testing and refreshing older batteries.

However you should keep an old dumb charger around as I have found several cases where the La Crosse will consider a new battery as defective, yet after doing a charge on a dumb charger then moving it to the La Crosse to do a full refresh the battery works perfectly.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-21-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by user4avsforum View Post

However you should keep an old dumb charger around as I have found several cases where the La Crosse will consider a new battery as defective, yet after doing a charge on a dumb charger then moving it to the La Crosse to do a full refresh the battery works perfectly.

This is also a problem with the Maha. I have several batteries that it occasionally declares "HIGH" yet charge with no problems on dumb chargers. After I drain them in normal use, the Maha then has no problem charging them again.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-23-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Yes.  The main thing I need it for is for the wireless USB transmitter.  Actually, the whole point is to make it wireless.  It's more hassle for me to deal with an AC wall plug wire than to swap batteries.  So, batteries is the only solution.  However, obviously not with only 2 AA's.  I'm looking into using a battery pack that can hold a bigger rechargable battery to power the USB wireless for a full day; which would be perfect for me.

Instead of AA's have you considered using C's or D's? They have higher capacity. Or a 6V, 7.2 or 12V SLA with a load resistor?

Assuming that an alkaline battery has 3000 mAh capacity and it takes 12 hours (half a day) to drain then you have about 250 mA draw from the device. Get a 22 Ah (22,000 mAh) SLA with a load resistor and it will take 88 hours (3.67 days) to drain it.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #18 of 24 Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

Instead of AA's have you considered using C's or D's? They have higher capacity. Or a 6V, 7.2 or 12V SLA with a load resistor?
Assuming that an alkaline battery has 3000 mAh capacity and it takes 12 hours (half a day) to drain then you have about 250 mA draw from the device. Get a 22 Ah (22,000 mAh) SLA with a load resistor and it will take 88 hours (3.67 days) to drain it.
The problem with using a simple resistor is that any voltage drop across it will be totally wasted as heat. An LM7805 regulator, for about a buck, will step the voltage down with minimal waste heat.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #19 of 24 Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm reading this thread and it occurred to me that these batteries are rated at 1.2 Volts... isn't a typical dry cell battery 1.5V? I've used recharged AA in remotes/keyboards/cameras and had issue where it will last a short life or not even operate it with a "fresh" charge. Granted "fresh" may be the operative word and it seems these chargers have insight as to what amount of charge they've placed on any given cell which may mean my existing charger is either not fully charging, or the cells themselves are old and need replacing (or maybe refreshing!).

Comments, suggestions... ???
post #20 of 24 Old 08-11-2012, 10:35 AM

I have atomic clocks, wireless rain gauges, and even my wireless keyboard that wont work, or work for just a short time, on 1.2V cells.

So its not your charger, its the lower voltage.
post #21 of 24 Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBTITLE: You'll Get Various Replies Everywhere Except CPF... wink.gif
Quote:

I have a device that will literally suck two Energizer lithium AA batteries dry in a half a day.  So, it looks like I need a rechargeable batteries for sure...
A quick search via Google shows the Energizer Lithium AA has a 2900mAh Capacity - what device are you using that depletes it in half a day?!? eek.gif

Are you going to be happy changing Sanyo Eneloop 2000mAh cells twice a day? Avoid the GT 2000mAh cells - they have a shorter lifespan / thinner separator. Go with the Maha MH-C9000 for the greatest flexibility - i.e. "Buy Quality Once" smile.gif Disregard NLee's "Excessive Button Press" review. tongue.gif Avoid LaCrosse Chargers with Charging Rates below 1000mA (i.e. BC-700). As your cells age, you'll need a good 0.5C Charge Rate to get a clean -DeltaV Termination signal - otherwise you'll overcharge them and drastically shorten their remaining life by 'Cooking Them'.

A few years ago, I invested several months reading the CPF Archives. Here's my resulting FAQ:

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

Remember, it's only TV...
post #22 of 24 Old 08-13-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I'm using a very rare one-of-a-kind device that converts a wired USB 2.0 device to wireless.  In fact, that device is no longer in production with no other replacement devices from any other manufacturers thats this small.  Unlike the Amazon reviews, it works absolutely perfectly under Win 64bit.

Unfortunately this wireless device isn't 100% wireless.  It came with a 5v AC wall charger.  I tried to replace the wall charger with two AA lithium batteries; which wasn't even close.  So, I ordered the below 5v battery pack that makes my USB wireless device last 40 hours continuously.  40 hours is more than enough time.  Its relatively small; and conceals very nicely in a small compartment.  This portable 12000mah battery pack totally rocks; and, the smallest size I've seen period at this capacity.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZBZ64Q

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

SUBTITLE: You'll Get Various Replies Everywhere Except CPF... wink.gif
A quick search via Google shows the Energizer Lithium AA has a 2900mAh Capacity - what device are you using that depletes it in half a day?!? eek.gif
Are you going to be happy changing Sanyo Eneloop 2000mAh cells twice a day? Avoid the GT 2000mAh cells - they have a shorter lifespan / thinner separator. Go with the Maha MH-C9000 for the greatest flexibility - i.e. "Buy Quality Once" smile.gif Disregard NLee's "Excessive Button Press" review. tongue.gif Avoid LaCrosse Chargers with Charging Rates below 1000mA (i.e. BC-700). As your cells age, you'll need a good 0.5C Charge Rate to get a clean -DeltaV Termination signal - otherwise you'll overcharge them and drastically shorten their remaining life by 'Cooking Them'.
A few years ago, I invested several months reading the CPF Archives. Here's my resulting FAQ:

SageTV:

post #23 of 24 Old 04-26-2014, 09:14 AM

Here in London (UK), I bought recently are the Ansmann 2850 mAh Ni-MHi rechargeables which came with the Ansmann Photocam111 charger @ £18.99 UKP.

However...there is also the "7DayShop" rechargeable high performance Ni-Mh Batteries - AA Size 2900mAh - 4 Pack with protective storage case I read about *today*...for £5.76!?! Never heard of them before but then again, I'd never herd of Sanyo's or panasonic's Eneloop batteries, or the Ansmann lot till last week either. These seem to be better than the Energizer and Duracell brands. Good luck!

post #24 of 24 Old 04-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Wow this is a 2 year old thread. Holy crap.

Sent from my Note3 via Tapatalk
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page