HTPC display issues on Pioneer PDP-5020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an issue that's just driving me crazy (I posted a similar topic in the PDP-5020 owners thread here). I recently upgraded my HTPC to a Core i5 3570k with HD 4000 integrated graphics. The main reason for the upgrade was so that I could run HDMI directly to my receiver to get lossless audio decoding for my HD movie library. I'm running all my components to my receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-52) and then running a single HDMI cable to my TV (Pioneer KURO PDP-5020). The problem is that the video signal from my HTPC is significantly overscanned when I run the video this way.

On my old HTPC, I had run my video directly to my TV (DVI -> HDMI with optical audio to the receiver), and had that input set as a PC source, which resulted in no overscan. I've tried setting my single HDMI input to PC, which corrects the overscan problem, but this results in losing all of my calibration settings. The PC input type has a very limited set of image adjustments (basically only RGB adjustments) when compared to the normal 'Video' type, and I find that unacceptable.

At this point, it seems like I only have a few options, all of which have significant drawbacks:
  1. Use a custom resolution from my HTPC so that the entire desktop is visible. The upside to this is that I can fix the video overscan while maintaining the lossless audio decoding that I want. The downside of this is that the image is scaled multiple times, which I'm guessing will result in a significant degradation of the image quality.
  2. Run the HTPC HDMI directly to the TV, configure that input as a PC source, and run the audio to my receiver via optical. The upside to this is that the video overscan issue can be solved without impacting my other video components. The downside to this is that I can't decode lossless audio, which was my primary reason for the upgrade in the first place.
  3. Change the input type for my one HDMI input to PC. The upside of this is that it fixes the overscan issue and I get to keep lossless audio decoding. The downside is that I lose all my calibration settings, and I have to figure out how to get a decent looking image for my other components with only simple RGB adjustment options (which probably isn't even possible).

It seems like option 1 is the least horrible of the solutions, but I'm hoping that someone out there has experienced a similar issue and found a solution.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 09:44 AM

Liked: 13
In your Intel video drivers, change the Scaling setting to "Customize aspect ratio" then move the sliders around. Your TV should be set to not do any scaling of its own.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply pohh-bah.

Perhaps this is a lack of understanding on my part regarding what is going on then. If I select a custom aspect ratio from my video driver, doesn't that mean that the video is being scaled once by my HTPC to something other than 1080p, being passed through my AVR, and then being scaled again by my TV to 1080p? I don't understand why this is necessary if my HTPC is putting out a 1920x1080 image at 60 Hz (full 1080p signal). I further don't understand why, when keeping my HTPC video output constant at 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz, that changing my HDMI input type between 'Video' and 'PC' results in the same signal being displayed totally differently. I'm certainly not telling my TV to zoom the 'Video' image or anything like that.

I guess I just don't understand why the custom aspect ratio is necessary. Shouldn't I just be able to set my HTPC resolution to 1080p and have that signal be fully resolved by my 1080p TV? You'll have to forgive me, as I'm relatively new to this. I had no trouble previously, when I ran DVI->HDMI and just set the input type to 'PC'. Is this something that you typically have to deal with HTPCs when going HDMI all the way? I'm not willing to give up the new HD audio, but I'm concerned that I'll be introducing unnecessary artifacts by setting up a custom aspect ratio.

If someone could explain this to me, or at least point me in the direction of some material that might explain it, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You shouldn't have to set your Pioneer to PC mode. If it's like my Kuro, you can set it to Video mode and then change the display mode to 1:1 pixel mapping (I think it's called "dot by dot" or something like that on the Pioneer). I honestly don't understand the point of the PC mode on the Pioneer. Like you said, you lose a bunch of calibration settings.

On your PC, you obviously want to set it to 1080p. Some videos drivers by default implement overscan compensation. This is so when people first plug their PCs into TVs that can't display the sides of the image, the user will still be able to see the task bar. You need to make sure that overscan compensation is turned off in your video card software.

So basically, make sure that the display settings on your Pioneer are set to 1:1 pixel mapping and leave it in video mode. Then on your PC, set it to 1080p and make sure overscan compensation is turned off. After that, you should be able to see the entire image.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks lockdown! I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I did try that at one point, but I think I read in the manual that using dot by dot mode will prevent you from using the light gray sidebars or stretching the image when viewing SD content. So my follow-up question for you is whether you use dot by dot pixel mapping for all of your video inputs (all 1 of them assuming that you're using your AVR for HDMI switching like I am) or do you do something different?

Thanks!
post #6 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 PM

I have a Pioneer Kuro display and Pioneer AVR and I'm doing it exactly like Lockdown suggested as well. Dot by dot with video signal type. No overscan issues. My HTPC, Blu-ray and DirecTV box all connect to the AVR via HDMI and then HDMI from the AVR to the display.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelToad View Post

Thanks lockdown! I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. I did try that at one point, but I think I read in the manual that using dot by dot mode will prevent you from using the light gray sidebars or stretching the image when viewing SD content. So my follow-up question for you is whether you use dot by dot pixel mapping for all of your video inputs (all 1 of them assuming that you're using your AVR for HDMI switching like I am) or do you do something different?
Thanks!

I'm currently using separate inputs into the TV for each device, although I use to run it through one hdmi port (using the hdmi switch in the AVR). I think I currently have all my inputs on 1:1 pixel mapping. I always figured this was best because there wasn't any extra scaling. I don't watch much SD content at all, so I don't often encounter sidebars. You'll have to test that yourself. Unless you plan on watching SD content 24/7 with black bars on the side, I wouldn't worry about burn-in .
post #8 of 12 Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 PM

While I leave it on dot by dot for the most part it's easy to switch display to full, zoom, wide or 4:3 with a single button on your remote as well so it's not like it has to always be set to 1:1
post #9 of 12 Old 07-16-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Sweet, thanks guys! One final follow-up. Is there a way to get the TV to remember the Dot-by-dot setting? Mine seems to revert back to Auto every time I power off the TV. I couldn't find anything in the manual about setting this up through the menu, only using the button on the original Pioneer TV remote. The reason that I ask is that I'm using a Harmony remote to control my devices. I realize that I could either manually add this button to the harmony remote, or add it in as part of the macros when I change between devices, but that just seems like it'd be rather error-prone.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM

My TV (Pioneer 6010FD) does remember the dot-by-dot setting. It's been a long time since I've gone into the Pio menus but I don't think I had to set anything up in particular to have it behave that way. I don't have an 'auto' size either so maybe that is a difference between the 8G model I have and the 9G you have. Just size and user mode control (movie, user, standard, etc.)

I also have a harmony remote and just used a soft key for "size". It will then toggle through dot by dot, full, zoom, 3:2, etc. after each button push. I think it was already in the Harmony database as it just maps to the size button on the remote. Works perfectly, no errors at all.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-17-2012, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks anleva, I've got this working now. I found out that the manual setting will revert to the 'Auto' setting if Automatic Screen sizing was set to Wide-Zoom for 4:3 sources. Now that I've turned that off, it will keep my manual setting even after cycling power.

Thanks again!
post #12 of 12 Old 07-17-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Glad you solved this, To bad Intel video needs this. Using Pure Mode with my nVidia GT 520, I just use 1920 x 1080p @ 24 HZ and scale to the display to get perfect video. Doing @ 60Hz left with a bit more off screen but this way, I never change mode as my mode is ISF calibrated - I'd hate to loose that.

My favorite toy
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page