SSD Boot Drive Issues?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I installed a new 120gb SSD drive today to put my OS on. I cloned it from my current HD, then I physically unplugged the HD and restarted the HTPC with the SSD only. Everything worked just the way it should. So I then replugged in the old HD and restarted the HTPC. The PC keeps picking up the old HD as the system/boot drive. I went into Bios several times to make the SSD as my boot drive with no luck. I want to re-format the larger HD drive and use the SSD only as the OS/boot system.

What am I doing wrong?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Is the ssd connected on the sata 1 port?
post #3 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 11:39 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

I installed a new 120gb SSD drive today to put my OS on. I cloned it from my current HD, then I physically unplugged the HD and restarted the HTPC with the SSD only. Everything worked just the way it should. So I then replugged in the old HD and restarted the HTPC. The PC keeps picking up the old HD as the system/boot drive. I went into Bios several times to make the SSD as my boot drive with no luck. I want to re-format the larger HD drive and use the SSD only as the OS/boot system.
What am I doing wrong?
Are you sure you are saving your settings in BIOS? That's one thing to check... And then have you tried disconnecting the HDD temporarily, so you can try getting boot to work on the SSD only? If after disconnecting the HDD and you still can't boot off SSD, then your SSD is probably lacking a boot sector. You might be able to use Windows install disc/USB to fix that automatically, but I usually just use bootsect at the command line to fix it myself.

Best way would be to boot off your Win7 install media (DVD or USB stick). Hit Shift+F10 ones it comes up asking for language. Run diskpart, then type "list vol" to see what drive letter your SSD has. Then 'exit' to get out of 'diskpart'. Then run bootsect /nt60 /mbr /force. That should give you a valid nt60 boot sector and you may then be able to boot.

Also you should make sure that the right partition is active on the SSD. Could be the 100mb boot partition, or could be your main Win7 partition depending on how it was installed and how you did the clone.

But I think the first thing to check is the boot sector, because by the sounds of it your BIOS is not finding a boot sector there, and so is looking elsewhere (in your case, your HDD).
post #4 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Boot up from SSD and delete the windows files from the old one.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Is the ssd connected on the sata 1 port?
I

I will have to check my MB, but I am not aware of a particualr Sata 1 port?

post #6 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanM View Post

Are you sure you are saving your settings in BIOS? That's one thing to check... And then have you tried disconnecting the HDD temporarily, so you can try getting boot to work on the SSD only? If after disconnecting the HDD and you still can't boot off SSD, then your SSD is probably lacking a boot sector. You might be able to use Windows install disc/USB to fix that automatically, but I usually just use bootsect at the command line to fix it myself.
Best way would be to boot off your Win7 install media (DVD or USB stick). Hit Shift+F10 ones it comes up asking for language. Run diskpart, then type "list vol" to see what drive letter your SSD has. Then 'exit' to get out of 'diskpart'. Then run bootsect /nt60 /mbr /force. That should give you a valid nt60 boot sector and you may then be able to boot.
Also you should make sure that the right partition is active on the SSD. Could be the 100mb boot partition, or could be your main Win7 partition depending on how it was installed and how you did the clone.
But I think the first thing to check is the boot sector, because by the sounds of it your BIOS is not finding a boot sector there, and so is looking elsewhere (in your case, your HDD).

In the Bios I switched (at least I believe I am doing it) the drives and then hit save (F10) before exiting. The old HD name stays on top of the new SSD.

I completely unplugged the power and the Sata connection of the old HD. The PC started up and did everything as before from only the SSD. The SSD is shown as "C" when it is by itself. When I start up the PC with both drives it shows the old HD as "C".

post #7 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Boot up from SSD and delete the windows files from the old one.

I will have to try this.

post #8 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will have to try this.

It will not boot up from the SSD when another drive is installed also. I changed the old HD (that had the OS) to another old HD (that does not have the OS) and Bios keeps trying to get the old HD to do the startup.

I guess my last resort will be to completely reinstall Windows on the SSD.

post #9 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:

In the Bios I switched (at least I believe I am doing it) the drives and then hit save (F10) before exiting. The old HD name stays on top of the new SSD.
I completely unplugged the power and the Sata connection of the old HD. The PC started up and did everything as before from only the SSD. The SSD is shown as "C" when it is by itself. When I start up the PC with both drives it shows the old HD as "C".
At least you know you are good to go as far as boot sector or other boot issues.

You are probably not "changing it right" in the BIOS. You might want to carefully read the instructions on the screen while changing the order. Usually you have to select to change the order, then use + or - keys, sometimes function keys, or sometimes other keys to move the items around in the list. Then when you're done, you have to save that new order. Then you F10, Save & Exit. But you should go back into the BIOS to see if it kept your changes.

When you say that your HDD "stays on top" it makes me think you're not really changing the order...

BIOS user-interfaces are almost never intuitive...
post #10 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 03:41 PM

Liked: 18
Make sure the SSD is connected to the lowest numbered SATA port...some mobos start with 0. Also you can hit F12 I believe... during BIOS startup you should go into the boot menu.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #11 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At least you know you are good to go as far as boot sector or other boot issues.
You are probably not "changing it right" in the BIOS. You might want to carefully read the instructions on the screen while changing the order. Usually you have to select to change the order, then use + or - keys, sometimes function keys, or sometimes other keys to move the items around in the list. Then when you're done, you have to save that new order. Then you F10, Save & Exit. But you should go back into the BIOS to see if it kept your changes.
When you say that your HDD "stays on top" it makes me think you're not really changing the order...
BIOS user-interfaces are almost never intuitive...

On my Intel MB I hit enter to bring up the options then I highlight my selection and the directions on the side says to hit enter again. Then it says to hit F10 to save and exit. When I hit enter the old HD flashes, but it does not move down. I believe it is not taking my change, but cannot figure out why.

post #12 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:

On my Intel MB I hit enter to bring up the options then I highlight my selection and the directions on the side says to hit enter again. Then it says to hit F10 to save and exit. When I hit enter the old HD flashes, but it does not move down. I believe it is not taking my change, but cannot figure out why.
Which Intel MB is it?
post #13 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Which Intel MB is it?

It is Intel DP35DP

post #14 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:

It is Intel DP35DP
I was hoping it might be same family as mine. At any rate, on my DH67GD:
- find the boot order option
- select it with 'enter'
- use plus and/or minus (+/-) to change the order
- when the order looks like what you want, you press 'enter' to keep it
- then you F10, Save & Exit

One other thing to check. Do you have the latest BIOS version for your board? Could be they had an issue w/ SSDs on boot (seems strange) and corrected it in a BIOS update??
post #15 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got it working.

I was skipping the (- or +) step to advance the drives up and down. I also was able to get my corrupted external hard drive installed as an internal hard drive and I have my movies and music that I thought I lost.

Now I plan on formatting the old HD that had my OS on. Somewhere i read to do this in 64k sections. Is this what I want to do?

post #16 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I got it working.
I was skipping the (- or +) step to advance the drives up and down. I also was able to get my corrupted external hard drive installed as an internal hard drive and I have my movies and music that I thought I lost.
Now I plan on formatting the old HD that had my OS on. Somewhere i read to do this in 64k sections. Is this what I want to do?
Great. Glad I could help.

If your HDD is primarily large files, recorded tv, movie rips, etc. Then 64k clusters is a good choice.
post #17 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

During the process of trying to get everything working I made all of my drives "active". I then caught a note to only make the drive with the OS only active. So I tried to make the other drives unactive, but it does not give me that option. Is this a problem?

post #18 of 20 Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:

During the process of trying to get everything working I made all of my drives "active". I then caught a note to only make the drive with the OS only active. So I tried to make the other drives unactive, but it does not give me that option. Is this a problem?
Where is this "active" setting?
I don't know of any "active" setting for a drive... only for a partition on a drive. If you have marked a partition as "active" on some or all of the drives, it doesn't really matter, as long as the OS partition on first drive in the BIOS boot order is marked active.

As far as clearing 'active' on a partition, you can do it in diskpart.
Go to a cmd prompt (as administrator). Then type, diskpart. You then select the partition you want to clear 'active' on then use the 'inactive' command to remove it.
It goes something like this:
Code:
C:\Users\Dean>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7601
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: SPEEDY
DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          698 GB  1024 KB
  Disk 1    Online          223 GB      0 B
  Disk 2    No Media           0 B      0 B

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list part

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary            698 GB    31 KB

DISKPART> select part 1

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> inactive

DiskPart marked the current partition as inactive.

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

C:\Users\Dean>
post #19 of 20 Old 07-16-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Only primary partitions can be made either active or inactive. If made active, it's the partition on which you install your OS. If made inactive it usually gets hidden and can only be seen with a partitioning program.
post #20 of 20 Old 07-16-2012, 12:09 PM

Capture.PNG 74k .PNG file
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Only primary partitions can be made either active or inactive. If made active, it's the partition on which you install your OS. If made inactive it usually gets hidden and can only be seen with a partitioning program.
True about the primary part (as logical partitions cannot be booted from, at least with Microsoft OSs...).

But not really true about inactive partitions. Generally a data partition, even if it is a primary, will not be active. Active is just a flag to tell the boot loader (Windows boot sector) which partition to boot. Partitions aren't really hidden/visible, that's more of a volume thing. Volumes can be mounted to a drive (ie. assigned a drive letter), or can be mounted to an empty directory (much like Unix/Linux), or can not mounted at all, in which case they appear "hidden."

I have attached a screen shot from my server. Note all the data partitions, visible as drive letters, but as inactive primary partitions. You could make them active and it wouldn't really affect anything other than they really aren't supposed to be active as you can't boot from them. Note that the active partition on Disk 0 is Recovery (which is not mounted, therefore hidden). This is where the system boots from, where BOOTMGR is located and where the BCD files that control booting Windows (they point to the C: partition where Windows actually is installed) are located.

Finally, there can only be one active partition per disk, just in case that isn't obvious...
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (73.8 KB, 2 views)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page