How to setup HDMI to pass through HD audio formats when tv isn't capable of decoding those formats ??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've run into a stumbling block that is totally stumping me.

I've got a Sony Bravia KDL-55EX620 LED LCD tv, connected to it is my Yamaha HTR-4064 receiver, connected to that is my source, an HTPC, which is a Gigabyte H61N-USB3 using an Intel i3 2120. I'm using the onboard graphics, and have it all connected ONLY via HDMI, no optical or anything like that.

The receiver is capable of decoding HD audio formats via HDMI, the computer is capable of bitstreaming them( I think ?), but the TV is the thing that shows up in the Sound Properties page in Windows 7. On the Sound Properties page, it tells me that the TV's "Supported Formats" are only Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS.

My problem is, of course, that I can't get ANY HD audio formats, like True HD or DTS-MA to play !

I've tried every setting I can think of in the receiver and tv to try and make the computer see the receiver as the "destination" of the audio signals, but the "Sound" page in Windows 7 always only shows the "Sony TV" as the HDMI connection.

What am I doing wrong ?

What did I miss ??

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 07:34 AM

Liked: 10
What media player are you using on HTPC ? Might not have right audio codec.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
....or player. I couldnt get BSPlayer to bitstream, but MPC works great.

note: the post above is my opinion. as such, when reading any recommendations from me, please do you research and seek out other recommendations and make up your own mind on your next course of action. i mean, most reasonable adults should know that, but it seems this should be stated anyways.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by none74 View Post

the "Sound" page in Windows 7 always only shows the "Sony TV" as the HDMI connection.
What am I doing wrong ?
What did I miss ??

Is your Yamaha AVR set to 'Pass-Through' ON?
Pass-through allows the AVR to send the signal from the HTPC to the display device even if it is turned off/stand-by.
This extends the audio chain to the TV and the HTPC sees the two TV speakers.
Turn off the feature to terminated the audio chain at the AVR and see if the AVR shows up in playback devices.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

Pass-through allows the AVR to send the signal from the HTPC to the display device even if it is turned off/stand-by.
Turn off the feature to terminated the audio chain at the AVR and see if the AVR shows up in playback devices.

Ok, I'll give that a try, I *think* I've tried everything, but we'll see about that kind of setting. So I'm looking in the receiver menu...

None of the players allows me to do what I want to do, I've tried MPC HC with Lav Audio, and Media Center using FFDShow, also tried KMPlayer and Zoom Player free, but they are a daunting setup task I'm not up to in the short amount of time I've been trying to solve this issue....
post #6 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirent View Post

It sounds like this is the issue since its acting like the AVR is not even there.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, tried it, the end result was the HDMI in the Sound properties now doesn't have a name, its blank, and it doesn't have any capabilities where before, at least I could bitstream DD DD+ and DTS...

I don't think this is going to be something that there is a solution to, looks like another HDMI failure. Just LOVE HDMI, btw...such a convenience to be totally at the mercy of uncaring consumer electronics manufacturers who, if they don't get it right the first time, NEVER correct it...

Looks like the Yamaha has some quirk that doesn't allow its capabilities to be seen by my HTPC, regardless of the setting I choose.

This is partly Intel's fault too, I think, since I *had* this working using an AMD HD5450 card in a "lesser" HTPC...

Yup, epic fail. Tried again, shut computer off, pulled power, pulled HDMI, shut off receiver. Powered computer, plugged HDMI, powered receiver. Even though "pass through" was set to OFF in receiver, Sony TV was still the only device that showed up via HDMI....thanks Intel and Yamaha....

and I've got the bug in the Intel properties page where setting the output to "Full" won't stick...really great products...really great...
post #8 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Do you have the EMI driver installed? I would try uninstalling the graphics driver. And reinstalling maybe it will "detect" the AVR. Sounds like some sort of EDID issue. I would think it should be fixable.
post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by none74 View Post

Even though "pass through" was set to OFF in receiver, Sony TV was still the only device that showed up via HDMI....thanks Intel and Yamaha....

Is your Sony TV capable of audio return (mostly used for 3D setups)?
Your AVR has an "audio return" HDMI output. Try turning that off too.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page