Antec ISK 300-150 case and Intel DH67CF Motherboard - case fan cable too short - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just finished collecting the parts to build a new HTPC and media server and have run into a little issue already. The case fan that comes with the Antec ISK 300-150 case has a short power cable and the Intel DH67CF case fan header is too far away. The cable is less than an inch too short, but unfortunately it definitely will not reach. I've never worked in a mini itx case before but I assume that it would not be wise to run the system for long without the case fan. I was hoping to avoid having to find an adapter cable online as it will delay my build, however, it seems like I don't have a choice. If anyone has a suggestion on what else I could do, or if it would be reasonable to operate the HTPC without the case fan for a short period of time I would appreciate it. Also, if there is a computer parts store in Pittsburgh, PA that anyone knows of please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
That fan is a three speed with an external switch as I recall. It was my understanding that it's actually intended that you connect it directly to a 12v PSU output, if I'm not mistaken, rather than to the motherboard header. That way it gets a full 12v source, and the three way switch is used to reduce the voltage and speed if desired.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

That fan is a three speed with an external switch as I recall. It was my understanding that it's actually intended that you connect it directly to a 12v PSU output, if I'm not mistaken, rather than to the motherboard header. That way it gets a full 12v source, and the three way switch is used to reduce the voltage and speed if desired.
Yes, the fan does have a 3 speed switch. I don't mind connecting it directly to the PSU, however, there isn't an appropriate cable from the PSU so I will need to buy an adapter in that case. It is a little annoying that Antec would expect the fan to be connected to the PSU but not supply the appropriate cable for it.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-17-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hmm. I have this case and it came with the appropriate adapter to connect the fan to the power supply. My recommendation is to get a 2nd 80MM fan that will connect to the MB header and then run both fans at their lowest speed. This will yield an almost silent box. You will want to make this decision before you build it as adding the extra fan will require you to remove almost everything from the case if you do it after the fact.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page