HGST 4TB Hard Drives are $219.99 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have 4 Hitachi 3TB drives at the moment and have had great success with them so far. I just noticed NCIX is having a sale on the 4TB for $220 plus you get a $20 gift card. Does anybody have any experience with these drives?

On a side note....I guess the acquisition is final. "HGST a Western Digital Company"

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 07:21 AM

Liked: 11
I saw them on their site for about a hundred bucks more than you listed. If it is still there, can you post a link?
post #3 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 AM

Thanks!
post #5 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 917

Cool.

But I can get a 3TB at Costco for $119 everyday with no rebates and no shipping.

So that is 6TB for $240.

Makes more sense than 4TB for $220 I think.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #6 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Cool.
But I can get a 3TB at Costco for $119 everyday with no rebates and no shipping.
So that is 6TB for $240.

Not if you have limited space in your case and/or don't want to add SATA controller cards, SAS cables, etc which can be pricey.

Completely depends. If you have a GD04/05 with only 2 hard drive bays and want to maximize your storage without spending another $300+ on a server or NAS then it makes perfect sense and is a good deal.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Those are Seagate GoFlex external drives, not (bare) 3.5" internal hard drives. (Please correct me if that statement is wrong.) I realize that a number of folks buy these, crack open the external enclosure, and take the hard drive out to swap it into a PC, but it's much more convenient to not have to break something to get what you want/need (to me, at least).

post #8 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Cool.
So that is 6TB for $240.

Canadian Costcos only carry WD. $160 for 3TB.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Those are Seagate GoFlex external drives, not (bare) 3.5" internal hard drives. (Please correct me if that statement is wrong.) I realize that a number of folks buy these, crack open the external enclosure, and take the hard drive out to swap it into a PC, but it's much more convenient to not have to break something to get what you want/need (to me, at least).

No.

You don't have to break them.

These come with a end that simply unlugs. It exposes the SATA POWER and SATA CABLE connectors on the bare drive- Mounting it in a PC case is not possible using standard cage mounts since the HDD is still in the plastic shell- but if you don't move your PC around you could just throw it into the case and not have to "break open" the case. It can be converted back to an external by just plugging back in the end piece.

I will try to show you a picture.

All that said- I just break them open with reckless abandon. I break them open with no intention of even trying to preserve the plastic case. I always install them as internal. it's easy.

It does not void your warranty. People say it does- but I ran the serial number from the bare drive on the mfg web site and it confirms the drive is still under warranty.

I even did this with a 2TB hitachi and got an RMA replacement after trashing the case and sending back just the bare drive.

Just a heads up.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler View Post

Also- it is very easy. It's worth saving 40$. It takes 5 seconds.

-

post #11 of 13 Old 07-19-2012, 11:00 AM

This looks like an awesome deal. Thanks for posting it. But it looks like NCIX is a Canadian company. Can I still buy this HD from them, even though I live in the US?

Edit: When I go to check out, it redirects me to their US website, but the price changes from 220cad to 330 US dollars. I thought the exchange rate was closer to 1:1 for CAD to Dollars. Am i not getting the discount if I buy from the US site?

"Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week." Ignignokt from Aqua Teen Hunger Force
post #12 of 13 Old 09-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisishf View Post

I have 4 Hitachi 3TB drives at the moment and have had great success with them so far. I just noticed NCIX is having a sale on the 4TB for $220 plus you get a $20 gift card. Does anybody have any experience with these drives?
On a side note....I guess the acquisition is final. "HGST a Western Digital Company"
Thanks in advance for the advice.

I've been waiting and hoping for these to go on sale again. I bought one last time, and was planning to buy more if the first one worked well. One can say what they want about the 3TB drives, but from the reviews I've seen there is a very high defect rate in the Seagate 3TB drives, and there is only a one year warranty on the Seagate drives. A large drive is nice, but a large drive that dies is a royal pain in the neck. I just recently bought one of those 1 TB portable drives from Costco, and within a month it died and had to go back to the store.

These HGST drives seem fairly reliable. And for those of us currently using 2TB drives, it is a much more seemless upgrade. Until I have a even number of 4TB, drives I can simply partition a 4TB drive as 2x 2TB drives, and then be able to make an exact copy of the partitions on my 2TB drives for backup. 2TB to 3TB is not enough of an increase in storage to bother to swap a drive out of my primary array into my backup array.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I bought a 3TB WD Green drive (EARX SATA_6, and yes I know that SATA_6 on it is pointless) and its been flawless. I'll be upgrading to something bigger than 4TB (not much sense to buy 4 when 3 is full up), preferably 6TB or so, its not long now that density will shoot up.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page