Network problem with laptop - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 248

Acer 5749 (100Mbps ethernet, no gigabit on this laptop)

Windows 7 x64

When I copy a movie from the server to the laptop via ethernet, its very slow at 3.5MB/s. Before anyone asks, that is Megabytes because the "M" and "B" are capitalized. I don't remember ever having this problem but I'm not sure... Here are the things I've tried with no success

• Reset TCP IP stack
  • Reinstall Ethernet drivers and installed an older version
  • netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
  • Set speed to 100mbps Full Duplex
  • and some other random stuff which was a waste of my time

I have a gaming pc that can copy from the server at over 100MB/s so its definitely not the router or server. I created a shared folder on the laptop and when I copied the file onto my desktop, its was copying at 10-12MB/s which is fine! So I know the laptop is capable of 100Mbps but for some reason it won't receive 100Mbps.

If I use wireless its a bit faster at 6.5MB/s...

Any help?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-21-2012, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Its always the dumbest thing... I tried out 100mbps Half Duplex and now I'm getting 8.5MB/s. When I switch it back to 100mbps Full Duplex it drops back down to 3.5MB/s...Why? Doesn't make any sense but at least its better and stable.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was going to suggest taking a look at your CPU utilisation, try dissabling your anti-virus. (MS Security Essentials is known to slow things down quite a bit).... and I would also try a transfer in safemode. Drivers can also be the culprit.

If I ever die of a heart attack, I hope it will be from listening to a movie too loud!
post #4 of 11 Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 PM

Liked: 32
My question is, what is the network equipment that you are using? In other words, what router, switch, how far are you from the server? I would go to the router and connect directly at that with the server & laptop and see if it still does that. Another would be QOS at the router that could be messing things up.

All machines, including the router should be set for Auto Negotiation, not 100 half, or 100 full, which can mess things up. What else is going on at the same time on the server, same as what else are you doing on the laptop when downloading? Are other machines having the same problem when downloading the same file from the server, through the same connection? That would mean moving he desktop to that point and testing, or connect the laptop to the cord that the desktop is connected with, and see if it still behaves the same.

Firewalls should be turned off, when behind the router inside your LAN. Only time that I would turn it on, is when you are roaming on public networks. What Firewall and a/v software, along with other software are you running on the laptop? Also, if you try downloading a large PDF, or say some other large file, does the laptop also still do the same thing as it did, when you were downloading the movie?
post #5 of 11 Old 07-21-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Isp provided router/modem (does not have QOS)

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SURFboard-Gateway-SBG6580-Wireless/dp/B0040IUI46/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342930724&sr=8-3&keywords=motorola+docsis+3.0

The server is connected to the router with a 15ft cat6 cable. At the time of testing the laptop was connected directly to the router with a working 5ft cat6 cable. The server and laptop were idle, nothing was being downloaded or transferred through LAN. I only have a desktop to test on and is connected to the same router as the laptop + server. All computers are set to Auto Negotiation. The desktop can copy a file at over 100MB/s from the server. Software firewalls are disabled on all computers. I'm using Nod32 on all computers and did try disabling it but no change. My internet speed is fine, I max out at 20mbps which is what I'm paying for.

For now it seems setting "Speed & Duplex" to "100Mbps Half Duplex" on the laptop works ok.

post #6 of 11 Old 07-21-2012, 10:01 PM

I am going to point fingers at the Surfboard. You can try with a real router, and see what happens, or get a Gig switch and use that for the computers, vs. the switch on the Moto.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-21-2012, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I do have a gigabit switch but moved that to the living room recently. I'll bring it back and see how that goes. What I don't get is why the desktop works fine using the same router.

post #8 of 11 Old 07-21-2012, 10:22 PM

If they are not the same brand/make of machine, with the same chipset/network card, one will behave different from the other. When you do the test with the switch, use three or six foot patch cords between the switch and the two computers, to see if that changes anything, after using the existing cords that you currently have.

Also make sure that you reset the laptop network settings back to default, when you run this test.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The problem is the router.

I moved the switch back to where it was, next to the router. Connected all the ethernet cables to the switch and now I get 11-12MB/s on the laptop!

post #10 of 11 Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What's so bad about the Moto 6580? It's a multi-function box and boasts to have many features... I'm looking at purchasing one and would like to learn about its shortcomings and why you can't simply adjust them out? What if I used it as my IPS connection and had my LAN connected through another Gig-swicth, would the moto still limit things?
post #11 of 11 Old 07-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post

What's so bad about the Moto 6580? It's a multi-function box and boasts to have many features... I'm looking at purchasing one and would like to learn about its shortcomings and why you can't simply adjust them out? What if I used it as my IPS connection and had my LAN connected through another Gig-swicth, would the moto still limit things?

Nothing really wrong except for the firmware is a bit buggy . UPnP does not work properly and port forwarding is a complete PITA . No cable co. will touch the firmware.

Personally , I have moved completely away form combo network boxes . I am convinced that the combined units produce way to much heat especially if your maxing out the switch ports and have a lot of wired PC running 24/7 . I have had my complete fill of the Cable C.O. supplied crap as well !! mad.gif

I use this for the modem http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6121-SURFboard-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B004XC6GJ0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342993251&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=motorola+6221+cable+modem

I use this for the router / switch http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342993364&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+rt-n66u

With a custom firmware . UPnP works and the custom firmware has so many features you can get lost for day's if you want to or just do a default set up and works great that way .
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page