Ready to rip my 1 or 2k CD collection to a large hard drive using a lossless codec. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2012, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
EJ
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To start, I'm physically disabled and don't walk, so simply asking someone to retrieve a disc from my collection is a hassle.

I'm looking for a pc system that will losslessly rip the audio, while retrieving information about the album. The cover art (of course), but, if possible, any other disc art and credits associated. I'd also like this to be presented in a sortable, nice looking package.

Can anybody give me ideas on how to start? Keeping in mind that I hate iTunes with a white-hot rage! biggrin.gif

Thanks,
EJ

Former USSB uplink operator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Foobar2000 and F(ree)L(ossless)A(udio)C(odec).

Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Foobar2000 and F(ree)L(ossless)A(udio)C(odec).

Old 07-23-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
You might want to take a look at this (the ripper segment starts at about the 24 minute mark):

patricks-ripmonster-3000-batch-rips-cds

Anyway, dBpoweramp is a good choice if you're willing to spend some money.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Old 07-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Another option if you don't have a computer to use and want something very easy would be a pre-built Vortexbox: http://www.amazon.com/VortexBox-1TB-Automatic-ripping-NAS/dp/B001VSY66O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343077583&sr=8-1&keywords=vortexbox

Looks like you just insert the CD and it automatically rips it. You could use this in conjunction with a squeezbox. Can control the squeezebox with a iphone, ipad or android unit.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM

For years I used exact audio copy but there is a bit of a learning curve to get everything set up properly.

I've since moved to dBpoweramp. Great piece of software. Costs a little money but totally worth it. What I especially like is their automatic metadata retrieval with multiple sources including all music guide and that it also grabs high resolution album art as well.

High quality rip with complete meta data from good sources.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

To start, I'm physically disabled and don't walk, so simply asking someone to retrieve a disc from my collection is a hassle.
I'm looking for a pc system that will losslessly rip the audio, while retrieving information about the album. The cover art (of course), but, if possible, any other disc art and credits associated. I'd also like this to be presented in a sortable, nice looking package.
Can anybody give me ideas on how to start? Keeping in mind that I hate iTunes with a white-hot rage! biggrin.gif
Thanks,
EJ

The easiest program I have found is Windows Media Player in Vista or Windows 7. When you rip a disk using WMP, it looks on the net for album art and metadata. WMP has a lossless setting where you can enable or disable constant bit rate or variable bit rate. It just works. I would look into this.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a bunch of Windows Lossless. The problem with it is that it isn't very portable. To get those rips into mp3 for my phone took a bit of work.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM

FLAC is where it is at for lossless. I rip all my CDs in FLAC and V0 MP3 as well. dBPoweramp does it both at the same time.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 PM

I took on the same project. Started using EAC (used it for years) until I found mediamonkey. Mediamonkey 4 now does secure ripping
like EAC and is much easier to use. It also has excellent metadata tools and the best on-the-fly encoder for any device sync I've ever used.
Leaves windows media player, iTunes and EAC in the dust IMO.

-Coflo

My Humble but functional HTPC:
nMediaPC 1000B w/VCD
Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H, integrated ATI 4250 Graphics
Athlon II X3 Rana , 3.2 GHz
4GB Ram, 1.5TB WDEARS, Windows 7 32 bit

XBox GamerTag "ZhuAn"
Old 07-24-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Los of work but you should be happy when it's over

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

You might want to take a look at this (the ripper segment starts at about the 24 minute mark):
patricks-ripmonster-3000-batch-rips-cds
Anyway, dBpoweramp is a good choice if you're willing to spend some money.

+1 for DBPowerAmp, especially given the size of the OP's CD collection. Of all the ripping software I've used DBPowerAmp easily has the most accurate metadata retrieval system as it queries five online databases simultaneously and analyzes the differences between them automatically to produce the most accurate result. Further, it is very easy to see and correct if necessary, DBPA's metadata analysis before ripping occurs (rare as it has proven to be accurate most of the time). Further, the Accuraterip and DSP rip options have proven to be very useful. Finally DBPA also has very powerful transcoding capabilities for those who need it.

Yes, there is a nominal cost for DBPA but given its capabilities I personally think it's money well spent.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by anleva View Post

For years I used exact audio copy but there is a bit of a learning curve to get everything set up properly.
I've since moved to dBpoweramp. Great piece of software. Costs a little money but totally worth it. What I especially like is their automatic metadata retrieval with multiple sources including all music guide and that it also grabs high resolution album art as well.
High quality rip with complete meta data from good sources.
hey, no fair... that is exactly what I was going to say...
but I would add that dbpoweramp has a 30 day (or something like that) free trial... depending on how fast you work, you may get done before the trial period is up, and then decide if you want to pay...

also, no matter what you do, or how you do it, NEVER underestimate the value of correct metadata... make sure it is 100% correct before you end up with hundreds of CD's worth of songs that you need to go back and manually fix... everything uses metadata these days... and trust me on this one, but don't ask me how I know as I wont admit to anything, but fixing metadata on hundreds/thousands of songs by hand really, really, sux.... although Tag&Rename helped out a lot, I would still highly recommend getting it right in the first place...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Old 07-24-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
not to track off subject but what do you people use to organize your music collection?

Like edit details and album art and such ???

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 07-24-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

not to track off subject but what do you people use to organize your music collection?
Like edit details and album art and such ???
nothing...
why would you edit it? DBpoweramp get the correct info/art all the time...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
EJ
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help everyone! I'll let you know when I start, and how it's all working out.

Former USSB uplink operator.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Also consider ensuring that your collection have some form of normalization applied to the metadata. e.g. foobar2k as a player reads replaygain information that would go some ways in avoiding the inevitable volume changes when switching between tracks from different albums. I prefer to apply replaygain on a per album basis. With the correct metadata that is not tricky. I've not used dbpa or mediamonkey so not sure, but I'd imagine they could apply that gain information post encode as part of their all in one processing.

With a large collection, not having to adjust the volume on individual tracks goes a long way to enjoying the jukebox nature of having your collection available on demand.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM

Yes, good point. Replaygain is good to add to your rips. dBpoweramp has a number of DSPs/actions you can add during the rip and encode, replaygain is one of them. I add replaygain on an album basis on every rip.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 AM

One other point about replaygain. It is also an option for music playback within XBMC.