Help for a Noob Setting up Computer 5.1 to a Yamaha AV Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I am kinda new to setting up my AV Receiver with my computer and I am having some issues.

I am connecting my Computer via Analog (3 inputs for a 5.1) to my old Yamaha HTR 5750 [http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5750_silver__u/?mode=model] with Yamaha 6.1 Surround System.

Note: My computer does not have any other audio outputs. No SPDIF. But I do have a HDMI ( But my receiver does not have a HDMI input)

I am connecting using 3 Y Splitter Cables ( 3.5mm to RCA ) - 1 for the Front Channel, 1 for the Rear Surround and 1 for the Center/Sub. All these are connected to the multichannel input in the AV Receiver.

I am sure all the connections are matched perfectly.

Here's my issue:

1. When I'm playing a movie DVD with proper 5.1 outputs, the sound is channelized beautifully and is very neat. However, the rear surround speakers have a very low volume. Why would this be ? How would I fix it ?

2. When I am playing a stereo file(Video or mp3), the audio is directed only to the Front Left and Front Right Speakers ( I know this is how it should be), but how do I use a Subwoofer to also work in this setup ? I also noticed that if I removed one 3.5 mm (Rear or Front), the subwoofer activates. Why is this so ? Is there anyway for me to use the sub along with the Front channels during stereo playback ?

Note: Also in my speaker configuration on my IDT Control Panel all speakers are listed to be "Small" and Freq Response for the Sub is at 80.

3. Is there any other way I can make this whole setup work ?

Thanks for any help !! I look forward and rely on it !!

Cheers !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrockrulz View Post

Hello All,
I am kinda new to setting up my AV Receiver with my computer and I am having some issues.
I am connecting my Computer via Analog (3 inputs for a 5.1) to my old Yamaha HTR 5750 [http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5750_silver__u/?mode=model] with Yamaha 6.1 Surround System.
Note: My computer does not have any other audio outputs. No SPDIF. But I do have a HDMI ( But my receiver does not have a HDMI input)
I am connecting using 3 Y Splitter Cables ( 3.5mm to RCA ) - 1 for the Front Channel, 1 for the Rear Surround and 1 for the Center/Sub. All these are connected to the multichannel input in the AV Receiver.
I am sure all the connections are matched perfectly.
Here's my issue:
1. When I'm playing a movie DVD with proper 5.1 outputs, the sound is channelized beautifully and is very neat. However, the rear surround speakers have a very low volume. Why would this be ? How would I fix it ?
2. When I am playing a stereo file(Video or mp3), the audio is directed only to the Front Left and Front Right Speakers ( I know this is how it should be), but how do I use a Subwoofer to also work in this setup ? I also noticed that if I removed one 3.5 mm (Rear or Front), the subwoofer activates. Why is this so ? Is there anyway for me to use the sub along with the Front channels during stereo playback ?
Note: Also in my speaker configuration on my IDT Control Panel all speakers are listed to be "Small" and Freq Response for the Sub is at 80.
3. Is there any other way I can make this whole setup work ?
Thanks for any help !! I look forward and rely on it !!
Cheers !

Recommendation; ditch the receiver , get a Yamaha with HDMI, plug in the HDMI, you are done.

Cheers.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Ralarcon,

Thanks for your reply !!

I am currently unable to get a new receiver !! ( Meaning I do not have the money right now !! ).

Would connecting via Toslink from a computer to the receiver sorts this problem out ?

Thanks !
post #4 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
All the settings you'll adjust will be someplace on the PCs audio control panel. When the Yanny is in MultiChannel it has no management. I'm not sure what options your sound board has and there may be application software to do more in the analog region of your PC under the manufacturers website. You may not be able to "simulate" 5.1 from Stereo sources although selecting ProLogic mode may help. Also, research the LFE channel settings you may have. I don't understand why unplugging outputs would have an effect of the sound... again, look into the sound application/driver you have, its setup and configuration.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
1) You could get something like THIS to add optical audio output to your laptop. (I assume this is a Dell laptop, correct?)

2) On an entirely different point, you seem to have what appears to be the subwoofer crossover frequency set to 80hz. What do you have for front main speakers, because unless you have pretty good fronts, that's going to be too low. The point of that is to set the crossover to a point suitable for the bass reponse of your mains so that they don't strain trying to reproduce frequencies that are lower than they are truly capable of reproducing, while also not forcing your sub to reproduce frequencies higher than are necessary.

But 80hz is pretty low unless you have fairly large, high quality, floor standing mains.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Andrew,

I have really played about a lot with those settings ! I could not find a setting that would let me do so.

Also, about ProLogic, Since I am using a multichannel input, I would not be able to set prologic or other features, or am I wrong in saying so ?

And about the subs firing when I unplug one of the ports makes me wonder why too !! Any reasonable explanation to that ?

Thanks !
post #7 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Zon2020,

Yes, my laptop is an Alienware laptop. I shall definitely look into that.

For my channels, I have a set of Yamaha Speakers and a Yamaha Sub. The F,R,C are all 130 W per channel. They seem powerful and capable of producing good frequencies.

Also, You say 80Hz is low, the speaker model i have is a Yamaha NS FP9500. Do you think these are Solid enough ?
post #8 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
It's not the wattage, it's the frequency response of the various speakers, and Yamaha doesn't list it. That is, the question is what is the true low frequency range of the front speakers in that set at reasonable SPLs, and personally with those fronts, I'd probably set that crossover at something more like 120hz, as just a guess. By doing that, you're assigning frequencies below that to your subwoofer. Those mains have 4" drivers. While I've never heard them, the likelihood of them accurately reproducing sub-100hz frequencies at reasonable SPLs is not high.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-27-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the education on the freqs Zon smile.gifsmile.gif

I also have another question:

If I get one of these : http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Blue-External-7-1-Channel-USB-Optical-Sound-Card-Audio-Adapter-Cable-/120809320576?pt=US_Sound_Card_External&hash=item1c20cbf080#shId and connect it to my USB and from it use a Spdif/TOSLINK to connect to my receiver, would I be able to use proper/true 5.1 audio ? The reason I would ask this is because, I unable to use my receiver's capabilities to the max ( Dolby Digital ProLogic IIx and Cinema DSP Digital ).

If I do make this connection, would I be able to get these functionalities working as it would then be a TOSLINK connection ?

Would connecting something like this cause a lower audio quality than an on board 5.1 analog connected to a multi channel input ?

Thanks again !
post #10 of 11 Old 07-27-2012, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Also,

The rear speakers are connected by what I think is a very thin cheaply made 18 AWG wire and the Front/Center are connected using this: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-XP-Navajo-White-Compact/dp/B000WX5FCI with shielding and a magnetic flux tube, would this cause a difference in quality of sound ?
post #11 of 11 Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

More help !!

I recently upgraded my receiver to a Yamaha Rx V 665 and I have another issue now !

Here starts my issue:

But now, I got myself a Yamaha RX-V665 Receiver.

I am now connected to the receiver via HDMI and things seem to be working fine with all the sound settings.

However, When I am connected from my laptop to my receiver, the receiver is recognized as an external display by my computer and I am having issues with the resolution of my screen. ( I do not have an external monitor ).

My native screen resolution is 1920 x 1200, but the resolution that windows automatically applies on my screen is 1920 x 1080 ( 1080p ). While this is a great resolution, I am kind of uncomfartable working with my lowered screen resolution now. This also leaves approx 3/4th of an inch empty black space on the top and bottom of my display.

I have an ATI 5870 Graphics card, and I was able to stretch the 1920 x 1080 resolution to fit my screen ( through the Catalyst Command Center ), but this looks really ugly and stretched out. Is there any way to force a 1920 x 1200 onto my display ?

Also, If i disable the secondary display that Windows detects( Yamaha Receiver ), the sound is cut off too ( Like the receiver is not connected via HDMI at all ! ).

When connected to Windows, my receiver automatically sets to the "Straight" configuration. Is there any way I can change this so that I may get Neo 6/Pro Logic IIx/Other extra effects while watching a movie ?

Thanks again !
Reply Home Theater Computers