Saying Goodbye to WMC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 07-25-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It seems as though it's come time for me to say goodbye WMC. We had a great time while it lasted but signs point to this being a dead end relationship...

It started with things like plug in and tool developers disappearing, abandoning their projects. MacroTube, Weather, Media Center Studio, to name my most missed. People tried to carry on the torch in some cases but it has been frustrating and painful to follow the work-arounds, hacks, and other chicanery required to keep things running smoothly and avoid the "it's broken again honey" phone call at work...

And then there was Netflix. How lovely having the unified interface! Then you decided to occasionally freeze my entire computer if I forgot to stop a movie before it ended. Gave me random login issues. Why, oh why can't you remember the last episode I watched and why do you require me to scroll through every season, every episode, to find where I left off? Every other device I own that plays Netflix has received interface improvements, subtitle support, but poor WMC has been forgotten, left to whither and die, without a single update since installation. Microsoft will tell you to contact Netflix for support and Netflix will tell you WMC is not a supported platform when you do...

Now what's this I hear? WMC contains no improvements for Windows 8 and will not even be included in standard installations? Microsoft has decided to allow their cable card certification to expire? It appears you've even been abandoned by your creator...

But Media Browser! I love Media Browser! Slick, smooth, easy to navigate, wonderful to look at, well supported, frequently updated! Game Browser, an excellent plugin! Sure, music support could've used some more work and it would've been nice to be able to centralize your database but with your strong community these things may be right around the corner. Such a shame you are tied heart and soul to WMC...

Goodbye WMC, goodbye Media Browser, it was fun while it lasted and you will be missed but it seems I've outgrown you. And, well, you see, there's someone else...

TLDR!

Ok, enough of that. I've been using XBMC for a couple weeks now and while it has been an adjustment, so far it's been pretty good. I really miss the "virtual folder" set up from Media Browser but other than that I really like it. Music is great and mysql central database is awesome. For Netflix, my "smart tv" has this built in and it was pretty easy to set up a Harmony activity for it.

I was just curious to see if anyone else has had a similar experience or has similar concerns regarding the future of WMC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-25-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Still using WMC with MB + MPC-HC+ MadVR so I can tune copy protected content with the DVR built into WMC.

post #3 of 27 Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I'd love to give Microsoft the old heave-ho as they've apparently given us. But how are you going to watch TV? I thought WMC was the only game in town for cable card tuners and extenders at the moment.
post #4 of 27 Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I just made the switch to XBMC as well and am loving it so far. WMC is still essential though because it's the only one that can do TV. I went ahead and added the XBMC shortcut into the WMC interface so there really isn't much of a difference between using WMC & Media Browser and WMC & XBMC.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Still using WMC with MB + MPC-HC+ MadVR so I can tune copy protected content with the DVR built into WMC.
Wait what? Watching copy protected content with MPC+Madvr?? Not sure that's possible.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

No.. I'm using the DVR w/in WMC to play back that but the MB combo w/in WMC for everything else.

The point being I use WMC and am quite happy with it.

post #7 of 27 Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I figured thats what you meant. And I agree I am pretty happy with it as well. Although I do have weird issues with the Ceton but it is what it is.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Absolutely Sammy2! I also used MPC-HC/LAV/MadVR with Media Browser and I loved it. Still do. But I must say XBMC player does a pretty fine job as well. Regarding tuners, unfortunately, the only premium tv options in my neighborhood are dish and u-verse, both of whom somehow weaseled their way out of being required to provide cablecards. So it's OTA and streaming for us.

Then there is this... Microsoft Discontinues Hardware Certification for TV Tuners?

Now I understand this really means nothing to current users but I think it paints a pretty clear picture as to what MS thinks the future holds. Not to mention the cable providers who have been doing their damnedest to kill cablecard since it's conception. Depending on how MS plays this, Wndows 8 may not run these cards at all (Windows 8 Secure Boot). Sure, you can use Win7 indefinitely but how much longer will free guide info be available? How long until the DRM key (Playready, I think?) is rendered obsolete by the next protection format? Sure, another company such as Ceton will likely keep things alive but will they continue with Win7 embedded? Will they develop a proprietary solution? Ally with another project like JRiver?
post #9 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

There's been plenty of threads on that about a month or two ago. I wouldn't worry about it much. Win8 has the ability to add in WMC in its current form and Win7 will be supported for another 10 years or so. By then, we'll be moving on to something else anyhow, I think.

post #10 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Hopefully we are just on the cusp of having real IPTV delivered. I would love to subscribe through XBox live or something similar to the handful of channels I actually watch (provided I can record them just as I do now) and just ditch my cable provider. I've generally been happy with WMC, but I'd be fine switching to something like MediaPortal or XBMC if I could still get my live TV on the PC in some manner.
post #11 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

As long is it isn't highly compressed crap like Uverse delivers. IDK if we're there yet. Not every location has 50Mbps internet that would be required to support quality muliti(4)-stream content and internet at the same time. Otherwise it is compressed crap that is rediculous to watch on a large HDTV. I think it will still be a while. Also, neither MediaPortal or XBMC support DRM content. That will need to be changed before IPTV will happen.

post #12 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589
I am still with Mediabrowser.

I played with XBMC but I prefer mediabrowser.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #13 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Me too.

post #14 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:

Me too.

I can not find any reason to switch.

For me it works great and XBMC is a learning curve.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #15 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree. Maybe in my non-existent spare time I will try to learn that but MB works and works well for me plus I like MadVR. I can see the difference in picture quality using it over the HD2000 on my i3-550.

post #16 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 AM

I'm still with Mediabrowser as well.

I see no compelling reason to abandon my current setup when it works so well. That doesn't mean I'm not checking out what else is out there. I try out new builds of XBMC and JRiver every so often, but Mediabrowser with its active community and very useful add-ons keeps me happily running it and WMC. If media center is on its way out, that just means that when I move on to the next version of Windows, I will need to wait for a proper replacement before I change what is on my htpcs.

Cable card support isn't cheap, which is probably a big reason why MS has been the only one to pony up the money to go through the various certifications, testing, etc. Hopefully there is a 3rd party that can do that in the future.

For Win 8, I hope that we eventually see powerful Metro apps that can take the place, maybe some next gen XBMC or a standalone Mediabrowser app, so we will see.
post #17 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As long is it isn't highly compressed crap like Uverse delivers. IDK if we're there yet. Not every location has 50Mbps internet that would be required to support quality muliti(4)-stream content and internet at the same time. Otherwise it is compressed crap that is rediculous to watch on a large HDTV. I think it will still be a while. Also, neither MediaPortal or XBMC support DRM content. That will need to be changed before IPTV will happen.

Well I'm thinking in terms of using the Metro Start Screen as a primary interface on an HTPC (assuming the remote works with it). In that case, its not much different than the way I have 7MC running. I use mediabrowser for all my movies and downloaded/ripped tv and the 'Recorded TV' default for all the stuff I record using my Ceton. I'm imaginging using the Metro Start Screen where Recorded TV, Live TV, Guide are just tiles (assuming obviously that Win8 supports those things) and then another tile that open either XBMC or something like MB that is standalone.
JackDiesel14 likes this.
post #18 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to see people enjoy their cable cards. Like I mentioned earlier my only options are dish and u-verse (awful btw) neither of which provides cable cards. I understand dish is out of the FCC's jurisdiction but AT&T?

Regardless, it seems most here would agree the FCC regulation requiring cable card support from cable providers is a good thing. The sad thing is elected officials and powerful lobbying groups backed by those cable providers would like to gut the authority of or even abolish the FCC. Things like cable cards are likely targets by these groups as cable card is considered a "failure" by the FCC itself and the ability to skip or fast forward through commercials has advertisers really upset. Providers are hard at work creating DVR solutions that would cripple this ability. I highly doubt your cable company will continue to support your cable card without the FCC telling them they have to, especially when they can sell/lease their own box that has complete control over your viewing. I know the FCC is far from perfect but I think we'd be worse off without them. Think about it when election time rolls around.

Appears I've gone off on a tangent there... Sorry about that!

Edit: added links for reference.
post #19 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 04:50 PM

Liked: 10
Dead product or not, WMC is still he only game in town if you use cable card. I will continue to use it as long as my guide receives updates, for lack of a better option.

I've read that Jriver is trying to incorporate cable card support. If true, that's where I will be heading after WMC is truely dead.
post #20 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Great another "WMC is dead" "CableCard is dead" thread. Wheee! Feed the trolls!!

post #21 of 27 Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Great another "WMC is dead" "CableCard is dead" thread. Wheee! Feed the trolls!!

Ok, fair enough. I guess upon re-reading what I wrote it might come off like a troll. Wasn't really my intention though. Just wanted to get people thinking about certain things. I really like WMC and think cablecards are great. While WMC will be around for several more years, no problem, we might end up in a fight over our cablecards. Next time someone tells you regulation is bad for business and innovation, remember the cablecard. Without it would DVR adoption still be at less than 2% like it was back in 2006, the year of the integration ban? Maybe, maybe not. Just something to think about.
post #22 of 27 Old 07-27-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3693 View Post

Ok, fair enough. I guess upon re-reading what I wrote it might come off like a troll. Wasn't really my intention though. Just wanted to get people thinking about certain things. I really like WMC and think cablecards are great. While WMC will be around for several more years, no problem, we might end up in a fight over our cablecards. Next time someone tells you regulation is bad for business and innovation, remember the cablecard. Without it would DVR adoption still be at less than 2% like it was back in 2006, the year of the integration ban? Maybe, maybe not. Just something to think about.

Well according to this, Tivo's subscriber base has dropped 55% since 2006.
Quote:
As of July 2011, TiVo’s market share shrunk to 1.93 million subscribers in the US, down from a peak of 4.36 million in January 2006.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #23 of 27 Old 07-27-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Where's the source that their market share decreased? Does this include people using CableCO TiVo's as well?

post #24 of 27 Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Well according to this, Tivo's subscriber base has dropped 55% since 2006.
I'm surprised it's that large. Tivo has a easy to use slick interface, but what they charge is ludicrous & the fact that you can't even transfer a license to a new Tivo when your old unit conks out is lame.
post #25 of 27 Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3693 View Post

I get that, but there are already threads on these topics here. I don't see the point of a new thread. There is no new information here.

There are also "AMD is dead", "the desktop is dead", etc. if you search -- everything is dead threads.

post #26 of 27 Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't found the "Paul is Dead" thread yet..

post #27 of 27 Old 07-27-2012, 09:03 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I haven't found the "Paul is Dead" thread yet..

Or the Timothy Leary is dead, although he really is, thread.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page