2250 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-27-2012, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at getting either the Hauppauge WinTV DCR-2650 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FPT38A/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00) or the Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E2T6Y4/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01).

Currently I favor the 2650 external tuner. However, I have Dish Network so I couldn't get an M card for it. Would I still be able to use it as a DVR if I connected it to my Dish Network box? I would have the cable coming from the satellite plugged into the cable in on the Dish Network receiver. Then I would have the coaxial out cable from the satellite plugged into the cable in port on the 2650. The 2650 would then be connected to the computer by USB.

If that doesn't work I will get the 2250. If it does work, then I'm not sure which I should get. I've read a lot about the 2650 having some channels with copy protection limiting recordings to be viewed only on the computer used to make the recording. Is there anyway around this? Also, does the 2250 have these same copy protection limitations?

Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-27-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Component out from the STB to a Hauppauge Colosus for Satellite from what I have read.

post #3 of 9 Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Component out from the STB to a Hauppauge Colosus for Satellite from what I have read.

So is that the only way I can use this with satellite or does it avoid copy protection? ...or is this your recommendation?

Thanks for the response.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Cablecard tuners don't tune analog or OTA/ATSC, the chip they use is qam only so throw all those out of consideration for satellite (unless you really want to spend a lot of money and convert the component output to clear qam, but you would still need a tuner).

You didn't mention which receiver which might make a difference on controlling tuning as well as outputs available (such as having a TV2, component, composite, hdmi, etc .). If you were really only wanting the coax out of the receiver, nearly any analog tuner would do (including the 2250 you mentioned) but even then I would probably use an svid or composite output if available (also depends on tuner having A/V inputs). I'm also not sure why you are looking at 2 tuner cards in this scenario (I can think of a couple of reasons but from your post I don't think it will work the way you are thinking).

Generally speaking, if you want to build a dvr for satellite, the Colossus or the external HD-PVR are what you should consider. If for some reason your receiver is not HD the colossus might be overkill but the price difference isn't much for other hauppauge cards. I might consider that 2250 but there are many others that would be better/cheaper depending on if you also want to tune analog cable and/or ota at the same time.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Here is my dish receiver:
http://www.dbsinstall.com/dish_network/receivers/Dish_Network_ViP211_Receiver.asp

So the 2650 definitely wouldn't work with Satellite as a DVR only? I would still have it hooked up to the receiver, instead of a cableCARD, so wouldn't that decode the stream fine?

I've got a brother with a 2650, I'm going to try and have over this weekend and I'm going to see if I can set that up.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The 2650 is strictly for cable only. As others have said above, for Satellite you can go with the Colossus (internal) or the HD PVR (external/USB), if you want to record/capture in HD.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post

The 2650 is strictly for cable only. As others have said above, for Satellite you can go with the Colossus (internal) or the HD PVR (external/USB), if you want to record/capture in HD.

Reviews on the Collossus don't look great and the PVR is too much. Are there any other brands you could recommend that would work with satellite?

I would like to keep price close to $100, but I could go up to the Collossus' price.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorris1441 View Post

Here is my dish receiver:
http://www.dbsinstall.com/dish_network/receivers/Dish_Network_ViP211_Receiver.asp

For Dish, with that receiver there are only three outputs:

1) Analog SD (coax/composite/s-video)
2) Analog HD (component)
3) Digital HD (HDMI)

Your only options for recording from that box are an analog tuner, then S-Video (SD) is the best quality, or you can record HD via Component or HDMI, and really the Collossus or HD PVR are the best options for that (support/compatibility wise).
cmorris1441 likes this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #9 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

For Dish, with that receiver there are only three outputs:
1) Analog SD (coax/composite/s-video)
2) Analog HD (component)
3) Digital HD (HDMI)
Your only options for recording from that box are an analog tuner, then S-Video (SD) is the best quality, or you can record HD via Component or HDMI, and really the Collossus or HD PVR are the best options for that (support/compatibility wise).
I saw the Colossus has a $20 rebate if ordered from Newegg so I ordered it last night.

Thanks
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page