AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by unmesh View Post

Assassin,
I read a review that said there is not a mounting location for an IR receiver in the QC05 case. Is that your experience?

Depends on the receiver. There is definitely some room in the front.

Personally I use a USB receiver and tuck it near out of sight in on my AV shelf. Much easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Nice article on Intel thin mini-itx platform http://techreport.com/articles.x/23376
post #63 of 70 Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 PM

Liked: 11
So is this build strong enough to playback 10 bit 1080p files without issue? Assassin, I see that you're now selling some reasonably priced builds as media extenders. If I buy the basic extender and install the Frodo alpha that supports 10 bit files will this build be able to play those files back without glitches?

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #64 of 70 Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 6 Pack View Post

So is this build strong enough to playback 10 bit 1080p files without issue? Assassin, I see that you're now selling some reasonably priced builds as media extenders. If I buy the basic extender and install the Frodo alpha that supports 10 bit files will this build be able to play those files back without glitches?

I only had it briefly before I sent it to flocko but it played an uncompressed MKV of Wall-E with aplomb. I also use the G620T in my bedroom build in a Habey case and it plays every MKV I throw at it as well.

As far as the extenders go it would depend on the hardware that was ultimately decided upon.
post #65 of 70 Old 09-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Liked: 10
Hah! After being out of the loop on hardware for years, I finally decided I needed an HTPC. Spent a day researching options and arrived at *exactly* this build, and then discovered this thread smile.gif.

One question on DH61AG vs DQ77KB: the only reason I'm leaning towards DH61AG is that it has a mini TOSLINK out (shared with 3.5mm audio). The specs don't specify one for the DQ77KB -- any idea if it has one? If so, I'll opt for that instead. I need digital audio out.

Also, I'm going to sneak this in here: has anyone run the G530 or G620 CPUs with Linux? Most of the posts I see online refer to the i3, which seems to work well with Linux (uses HD 2000 decoder). Do the G530 and G620 use the same decoder and same Linux drivers? I'm guessing it's not possible to throw in a cheap nVidia GPU in this mobo/chassis?

Thank you!
post #66 of 70 Old 09-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
No , you will not put a vid card in this build if your using the same case . I was able to mod in a Ceton tv tuner but it was a PITA and is very tight . There is no toslink either.

I absolutely love this htpc for it's size and the " big boy" punch it packs . Not that it matters much , if any but the DH61AG does not come with sata 6g it is purely 3g. I doubt you would know the difference as you would be hard pressed to saturate 3g.

You would (will) not be disappointed in this unit

I cannot speak for anything to do with Linux ... sorry
post #67 of 70 Old 09-16-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I only had it briefly before I sent it to flocko but it played an uncompressed MKV of Wall-E with aplomb. I also use the G620T in my bedroom build in a Habey case and it plays every MKV I throw at it as well.
As far as the extenders go it would depend on the hardware that was ultimately decided upon.

I'm thinking about buying the Assassin Media Extender Plus you're selling and installing 4 gigs of RAM and upgrading to the 64GB SSD. In checking around it looks like the AMD A6 3500 is powerful enough to decode 1080p 10 bit files without hardware acceleration. Before I pull the trigger I just want to be entirely sure since the main draw for me to get rid of the piece of crap Boxee Box in my bedroom right now in addition to a much better UI and improved performance is support for my 10 bit files that I can only play on my main HTPC right now.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #68 of 70 Old 09-16-2012, 07:21 AM

I just commented on this project in another topic before I saw this one. I was going to use that case for a streaming build and wanted to know about noise levels but You have answered that. Thanks.
post #69 of 70 Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Still wanted to know some power consumption readings for this little guy . . .

Flocko, did you ever get a chance to take any readings?
post #70 of 70 Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 674
I had my eye on that case cause it looks so cool....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page