XBMC, Karaoke and HTPC question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howdy there AVS!

I helped build a HTPC for a friend back in 2008/9 i think and so far he is happy with it but now he wants to add karaoke into the mix tongue.gif I am clueless about karaoke, mics, etc but before i suggest solutions i best clear with AVS any errors in my idea/assumptions eek.gif

Basically my idea is to use the Youtube addon in XBMC and run karaoke videos (with lyrics) on the TV. He is using his soundcard's digital out (coax) to his receiver currently. Now for say 2-3 people singing, could i somehow hook up a microphone mixer to the HTPC? How do i do it exactly? Would i be hooking the mixer to the soundcard's "mic in" , click unmute and music from videos and vocals from mics work at the same time? Also what volume level is safe for the mics for use with normal home audio floor standers? Is this a good low budget solution or would you suggest others? To be honest i am not sure a mic mixer is the right hardware in the first place lol

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 11:38 AM

Good starter mixer is the Alesis MultiMix 8 usb mixer....FX versions will also have effects like reverb, delay, and chorus. Seen them used on CL as low as $75.

It has multiple mic inputs and allows you to adjust independently each of the inputs. Really helps because not all tracks are at the same level, some are recorded louder and some not so much. Also you have quiet singers and you have screamers, so this allows you to level things out.

So audio goes from PC to mixer via USB, and mixer has various outputs to Usually pro audio equipment but I am sure you can send to a input on the receiver.

XBMC... I have not used since I had an "upgraded" xbox way back. But if I remember correctly it can handle MP3+G files which is the standard digital karake file type. And yes Youtube should work same way since mixer does not really care where audio came from.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manobeer View Post

So audio goes from PC to mixer via USB, and mixer has various outputs to Usually pro audio equipment but I am sure you can send to a input on the receiver.
Does this mean audio from anything on PC--> fed into mixer--> receiver? So one has to say set default audio device to USB (from say SPDIF) right? What sort of audio out does the mixer have i.e digital or analog? Thanks for the help btw!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whentrumpetsfade View Post

Does this mean audio from anything on PC--> fed into mixer--> receiver?
Yes... even the windows ding sounds.
Quote:

So one has to say set default audio device to USB (from say SPDIF) right?

Yes.
I use a laptop for my shows, and it automatically switches from speakers to the USB AUDIO DEVICE and then back to speakers when disconnected. Guessing that was after initial setup in windows settings.

Quote:

What sort of audio out does the mixer have i.e digital or analog?

I believe this unit has ANALOG 1/4" jacks, adapters to other type are available.EDIT(I have never used this unit, but have seen other karaoke hosts use at house parties).
post #5 of 5 Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Ok that was really helpful and thanks Manobeer - i now have a far clearer idea of how to set it up and what hardware to get wink.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page