Updating gaming rig. nvidia 680 but which one? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think it seems the optimal choice but there are so many versions. The asus one seems to offer the best speed and a good price. it doesnt have 4gb of memory like the flagship evga ones but idk seems pretty nice to me at a good price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121634&Tpk=GTX%20680

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The Asus is great. I have the gtx 670 version. But be warned the 680 version is a triple slot cooler so it is a huge card. Make sure it won't cover a pcie slot you need on your board.
The gigabyte windforce is also an awesome card with an excellent cooler.

I wouldn't worry too much about factory overclocks. You can normally get any card to those speeds and beyond. There is no voltage control In these cards so you can oc them to their max with no worries of hurting the card.

As far as the 4gb goes you really only need that right now for triple monitor gaming. But that may change in the future. The only thing right now really maxing out the 2gb of ram on the normal 680s is heavily modded Skyrim.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I only have 2 cards the video card and a sound card so I can fit it. plus im planning to upgrade the board but I really want a beast gpu first.

I dont plan to go dual monitors but I thought dream perhaps to get a nice dell or some sort of ips. I saw there was a story on slashdot about cheap ips displays so maybe that route.
post #4 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogormask View Post

I only have 2 cards the video card and a sound card so I can fit it. plus im planning to upgrade the board but I really want a beast gpu first.
I dont plan to go dual monitors but I thought dream perhaps to get a nice dell or some sort of ips. I saw there was a story on slashdot about cheap ips displays so maybe that route.
Good choice I highly recommend the Achivia Shimian. 27" 2560x1440 ips. Got mine for $300 and added a square trade warranty. Pushing mine with the gtx 670.

There are some risks for dead pixels and such. Mine had none. Heres a ton of info about the one I have and some of the other popular ones. Main thing is top buy from one of the reliable ebay sellers that are selling these things.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1228062/achieva-shimian-monitor-club
http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270
post #5 of 17 Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

any ideas on the card? i am going to order monday.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Have you considered a 670? I went from a 680 to a 670 and noticed no difference in gameplay performance.

Unless you are cramming it into a tiny htpc case. I would definitely go with one with an aftermarket cooler.
Asus DCII
Gigabyte Windforce
MSI Twin Frozr
MSI lightning
etc.
post #7 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is for my gaming rig. Sorry I use this forum as a general computing forum smile.gif

I kind of wanted to get a beast because I havent done much to update my rig, its running a 4000 series so this is a big udgrade.

I thought I would toss a few more bucks to get a super clocked version such as http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130797

However I still wonder if I would be future proofing more going with a 4gb version. I also wonder why with that much more memory there doesnt seem to be any super clocked versions? its been many years since I overclocked a video card (id prefer the manufacturer do it to be honest) but does it cause issues with the 4gb of memory? I guess im ignorant in this area.

I didnt see this one at first http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130801

I wonder if the $130 is justified? Its just gaming here but will it give me more leeway with maxing out settings?
post #8 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I mean right now on a single monitor you don't need 4gb's. I game on a 2560x1440 monitor and the 2gb's on my 670 is enough. But I don't know how long you plan to keep the card. Supposedly games don't use as much vram right now because most of them are ported from consoles. Which have very little ram. But the next gen consoles are coming out next year and the ram requirements may go up.

So if you are keeping it for like 3-5 years you may consider the extra ram. In the past it did hurt OC potential but I have read that on these cards in does not.

I personally would get a card with better cooling over the SC. These cards are different than any in the past. They all have a core boost. They OC themselves. The final clock will vary from card to card. So my point is that the Asus and Gigabyte cards will probably boost equal to or possibly more than the EVGA SC.

OCing is really easy on these cards to. Really easy. I'd say about 80% of them will do 1200mhz.. So factory oc is easily achieved on most cards. Also these cards throttle themselves at 70c and again at 80c. The reference coolers may have a hard time keeping it below 70c depending on your case/ambient etc.

Imo the classified is over priced. If you want a 4gb card save yourself $60 and get the MSI twin frozr.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127695

Of course it's your money. Just giving you my opinion as I have owned a reference galaxy 680, reference Asus 680, gigabyte WF 670, and Asus DCII 670. I much prefer the two cards that had custom coolers.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

After doing some more research yeah the 4gb seems pointless. I will have to keep an eye on stock because newegg seems out of those right now but hopefully on monday it will be there.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-02-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you make a decision on which one?
post #11 of 17 Old 08-03-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I really want to get it asap so on monday when I order I guess thats when I will decide which one to get. one issue im having is newegg doesnt say which ones have an after market cooler. I know you said to find one that has one but then when I look at some of the factory overclocked ones some have 3 fans built into them and to me that says he that should be cool but idk lol.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127672

that one seems to get some nice reviews on how cool it runs.

can you tell me which ones you would go with out of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007782&IsNodeId=1&Description=gtx%20680&name=2GB&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20&RandomID=49430206176194420120802132914

of course on monday that list might change frown.gif of course it could change for the better too...

one thing I really want to consider is the warranty period. some dip to 2 years and it seems everyone is no longer offering lifetime warranties which kind of stinks. seems a new vendor who stands behind their products is needed to shake things up.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-03-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

one thing I really want to consider is the warranty period. some dip to 2 years and it seems everyone is no longer offering lifetime warranties which kind of stinks. seems a new vendor who stands behind their products is needed to shake things up.

It's not a matter of "standing behind their products", it's a matter of cost. Warranty support is expensive. ALL products have some failure rate. If you asked the management of any of these companies they'd tell you'd they'd be happy to provide longer warranties if that's what the market preferred, but they'd have to raise prices, and consumers would rather have low prices than longer warranties.

So warranties get shorter because of competitive price pressures and because consumers will, 9 times out of 10, pick the cheaper item over the one with the longer warranty. Companies respond to this consumer choice by shortening the warranty so they can hold prices down.

As most of these computer parts become more and more simply indistinguishable commodities purchased almost entirely on the basis of price, you can continue to expect warranties to become increasingly shorter and more limited.
post #13 of 17 Old 08-03-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When I bought my last card the 5000 amd flagship I purposely chose umm i cant remember what brand but they offered a lifetime warranty at a similar price point to others on newegg. to me it mattered. I got that card after ocz had a lifetime warranty on their card but they stopped making them. i also have lifetime warranties on about 20gb of ocz ddr2 which was EXPENSIVE at the time like $500 for 4gb (i think it was)

to me if its a $5-600 item id pay a significant portion of that to ensure I dont have to fork out that much money in 2 years flat.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-03-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

When I bought my last card the 5000 amd flagship I purposely chose umm i cant remember what brand but they offered a lifetime warranty at a similar price point to others on newegg. to me it mattered. I got that card after ocz had a lifetime warranty on their card but they stopped making them. i also have lifetime warranties on about 20gb of ocz ddr2 which was EXPENSIVE at the time like $500 for 4gb (i think it was)
to me if its a $5-600 item id pay a significant portion of that to ensure I dont have to fork out that much money in 2 years flat.

I didn't say that no one felt as you do, but only that there aren't enough people who make the choice you do to prompt mfgs to offer longer warranties and charge higher prices. When they see competitors selling more by cutting prices regardless of warranty length, then they follow suit. And the market chooses lower prices.

Moreover, your DDR2 shows why with technology items where obsolesence is rapid it's usually a bad tradeoff for the consumer. You have a lifetime warranty on obsolete DDR2 SDRAM that is basically useless. If you're still using it at all, you won't be for much longer, so what good does it do to still have a warranty on parts that are sitting gathering dust in your basement parts bin? I have IDE hard drives sitting around whose capacities are measured in MBs rather than GBs or TBs. Of what value would a 10 year or lifetime warranty have been on such parts? Zero. Most pc parts are obsolete before the warranty runs out.

Besides it's easy and cheap to offer long warranties on simple parts like RAM because in general if it works on day 1 and day 30, it will work on day 10,000, so the cost of offering a lifetime warranty is essentially the same as offering a 1 yr warranty. If you paid extra to get a lifetime warranty on that DDR2 rather than a 1 yr warranty, you probably made a poor choice. (and the mfgs know that which is why lifetime warranties on ram are commonplace) But that's not true on many other more complex items, particularly those with moving parts or things that often go bad over time like capacitors.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

it wasnt obselete to me. its in my gaming rig, was in my office machine but then got used in my server and htpc. so it was actually really versatile and useful and my gaming rig when its update those parts are for my next server ! smile.gif

but yeah now with hindsight I learned 2 things, a flagship cpu is stupid, and spending 500 bucks memory is stupid too. lol

at that time I just wanted 1 single time to have the absolute fastest stuff on the market not realizing how dumb that idea was.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it wasnt obselete to me. its in my gaming rig, was in my office machine but then got used in my server and htpc. so it was actually really versatile and useful and my gaming rig when its update those parts are for my next server ! smile.gif

but yeah now with hindsight I learned 2 things, a flagship cpu is stupid, and spending 500 bucks memory is stupid too. lol

at that time I just wanted 1 single time to have the absolute fastest stuff on the market not realizing how dumb that idea was.
Well if you feel that way I would consider a gtx 670. I downgraded from a 680 since the performance was so close. Save a hundred bucks.

Anyways if warranty is a big concern Evga is the best bar none. No one beats there customer service. They do not have the lifetime warranty anymore though.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a Gigabyte GTX 670 OC and it is an amazing card. I've been able to overclock the GPU to 1287MHz and RAM to 6663MHZ. At these settings it exceeds a stock GTX 680 and is 20% cheaper. My card does run hot but it is dues to a manufacturing tolerance error on the heatsink, which I'm going to fix on the weekend. Up to 1200MHZ seems to be a standard overclock with some lucky owners breaking the 1300MHz barrier. Most people have been reporting overclocked temperatures between 60-70C, at fan speeds of below 50%. It is almost silent at that speed. It also is very power efficient for a GPU. There are hacked BIOS available to remove the throttling limit and increase the voltage for a faster overclock as well. There is a lot of good information and discussion on the card at http://www.overclock.net/t/1258159/official-gtx-670-overclocking.

Even at stock speeds I can run a 64 player Battlefield 3 game on the biggest maps at 1920x1200 on ultra and never drop below 60FPS. The GTX680 is a beast, but in order to run in ultra high resolution on ultra settings on multiple or 120MHz monitors you'd need twin cards in SLI anyway. Save your money and grab a GTX670 which will do just about everything the GTX680 can, you will not be disappointed. Just make sure you grab one of the factory overclocked aftermarket cards as they are faster and have better performing coolers than the reference cards. ASUS, Gigabyte and EVGA all have good reviews.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page